Set Up Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 52m 42s
Overall Rank = 36/157F
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/29
Pre-race routine:

We drove to Williamsburg on Friday. We arrived about 4pm. After we checked into the hotel, we headed to the race site to pick up my race packet.

On race morning, I woke up at 4:30 and ate my pre-race breakfast. Then I got dressed and loaded my race bag and bike into the car. We got to the race site about 6:45 and I set up my transition.
Event warmup:

We did a lot of walking. First from the car to the transition area. Then the long walk down to the swim finish and back to see how far that was going to be. Then the even longer walk to the swim start. Once I got to the swim start, I put on my wetsuit and got in the water for a couple of minutes. I was in wave 5 of 6, so I had a long wait until I started. The air was cold and I was wet, so I was freezing until I got back into the water (the air was 63, the water was 74).
Swim
  • 51m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim to the first turn bouy went alright. It was a tough swim though. We were swimming against the current at this point. But it was also crowded, so there was a lot of pummeling. I was swam into and over quite a bit during the first 3rd.

After the first turn, the swim turned to crap! The sun was in our eyes, so I couldn't see all the way to the next turn buoy. So we all headed to the orange buoy in between. That was a mistake!! Apparently it had drifted out and we ended up swimming way out of the way. So far in fact, that when we got to the buoy we had to turn 90 degrees to get to the next turn buoy.

Once we were finally on course again, I just tried to finish the swim strong. At this point my calves started to cramp. They each cramped about 3 times each (at different times). I never stopped swimming because of the cramps, but they slowed me down I am sure. I just kept flexing my feet until they would go away.

When we got within about 100 yards of the swim finish, I noticed everyone was walking. It became very shallow at this point. I tried to keep swimming as long as I could because I thought it would be faster than trying to walk. I did eventually stand and try to run out of the water.

I paused for a second after I got out of the water to take my wetsuit off completely. I don't normally do this, but I knew it was a long run back to the transition area. I thought I could run a lot faster without the wetsuit on (and wouldn't have to worry about it drying before I got there making it more difficult to get off).

I was very disappointed when I saw my time from the swim. I went into this race hoping to break 6 hours and I knew this time wasn't go to help my chances.
What would you do differently?:

My swim still needs a lot of work. Some of my long time can be explained by the long course. But some of it is still me being too slow.
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

My T1 time was 2nd in my age group, so I think taking the wetsuit off was a good idea.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 04m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.23 mile/hr
Comments:

When I first started this ride, my legs felt really tired. I had a pain in my left quad just above my knee. My plan was to hold zone 2 for the first 20 minutes then pick it up to zone 3. But with the way my legs were feeling at this point, I decided to just do what my legs wanted to do. I didn't want to force a pace and then pay for it on the run. So, I let my legs dictate how fast I went. For most of the ride, I stayed in high zone 2. I was feeling good after the first half and picked up the pace some more. I did the last hour in zone 3. My HR did go higher a few times, but only going up hills (and the bridge over the river).

Pick up the pace a bit.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

This transition should have been faster. When I packed my socks for the race, I wasn't thinking. I grabbed the socks I do most of my long runs in (my Injinji sock - toes socks). I like them because my toes are prone to blisters. But I don't wear them in races because they are too hard to put on quickly. I had rolled them up so I could get them on as quickly as possible, but I still struggled with getting my toes to go into the right holes!

Bring different socks.
Run
  • 1h 50m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

This run went great. My plan was to keep my HR in zone 2 for the first half of the run, then pick up the pace to whatever I thought I could hold to the end. I settled into a comfortable zone 2 pace right away.

At mile 4 I developed a side stitch. I was worried that this would mess up my race, but I stayed calm. I slowed just a bit and concentrated on my breathing trying to get rid of it. This eventually worked and by mile 7, it was gone completely.

After the side stitch went away, I just concentrated on keeping my pace and trying to increase my pace slightly with each mile.

After the swim, I didn't keep track of my total race time. I didn't want to blow up on the bike or run by trying to "make up time". I just ran my race and hoped for the best. When I was a half mile from the finish, I switch my watch over to see what the total time was. At that point it said 5:48. I knew I was going to break 6 hours - so I ran harder!

Nothing. This was a good run. It was only 4 minutes slower than my stand alone half marathon PR time.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around with my husband a little bit. Talked to some friends I saw at the race. Then loaded up my stuff and carried it all back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim.

Last updated: 2009-02-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:46 | 2112 yards | 02m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/29
Overall: 106/157F
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra sleeveless
Course: The course was supposed to be a rectangle (3 bouys out, turn, 2 bouys over, turn, 3 bouys back).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:04:17 | 56 miles | 18.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/29
Overall: 60/157F
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: This course was hillier than I expected it to be. It wasn't really a hilly course, but it also wasn't the flat course they said it was.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:50:50 | 13.1 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/29
Overall: 16/157F
Performance: Good
Course: A one mile out and back section and then 2 loops through a park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes