General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon - Aquabike

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Without Limits Productions
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 48m 51s
Overall Rank = 61/63
Age Group = M60-64
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Arrive, park, look around. Swim is reverse of Rattlesnake. Waves enter at RS exit, and exit where RS enters (by boat dock.)
Event warmup:

Did some stretching, mainly legs. Walked around a bit.
Swim
  • 46m 21s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

I got bumped in the early part. Nohting serious. Tried to swim at others pace, but that was too fast for me. Slacked off a bit and soon I was among the last of swimmers. Swam breast stroke for a bit (to first buoy) then decided I could go to freestyle. Navigation/sighting was very good. I was abel to pick landmarks to R side and keep them in line as I swam. Looking fwd only occasionally. That worked very well. Made the turn at 21:30 and said ok, I can really do this. Swam back to out point. Just like in the pool, not much kicking. developed some cramps in l calf, dunno why as I wasn't using it. Kyakers sometimes blocked my view to landmarks, but nav. was still good. Some light chop on the way back, until I got in more sheltered waters. Not a real problem, just splashed some breathing a bit. Bigger waves would be harder to handle. Need to learn to breathe bi-lateral.
What would you do differently?:

I need to train on stroke form and building speed. I should be able to do this distance about 10 min faster (~35min). Masters swim is helping but I need stoke drill too.

Need more practice time in wetsuit. It just feels different and affects everything. More practice at Aurora Resv (cold water) also.
Transition 1
  • 05m 35s
Comments:

I had not started Garmin. I had to pull off my own wetsuit, got it stuck on my heels and had dizzyness problems while doing that. Need to train this move. I have to put on socks and bike shoes. Decide on what to wear depdning on weather. (I should have work blue jacket and/or changed out of wet undershirt. I did take arm warmers and wore them for whole ride, so that was good choice.)

better prep and layout of items. Maybe a checklist of what goes where. I have to put on Garmin wrist unit, and HRM strap (should swim with that), and body bugg. Need to decide about what top to wear.

Transition needs training too.
Bike
  • 3h 54m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.35 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a clody day and I was kinda cool, so perhaps did not drink as much/often as I should have. But I did not get dehydrated. Nutrition about right for the bike. (needed more if I was to do the run). Being tail-end charlie I had no problems with drafting rules. :)

T2 1:44 short run to finish 1:06

Need to train some intervals, so I have some extra gas for ascending hills. And I should have been training more for this. Last riding was 2 wks ago up at Breck, which was good but too long ago.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate food right away. Hot food, Wahoo fish tacos. Got out of the wind. Should have got pants/wind breaker.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't really train for this distance. It is right at the distance I swim and and I relied on general bike condition from RTR, but had not trained to sustain that level. I need to train beyond this distance and be serious about the hills (interval trg).

Event comments:

Without Limits took this over from Racaing Underground 1-2 years ago. Compared to Rattlesnake, this had less support. Only 6 porta-potties. Really only 2 aid stn on bike. 1 at 10 mile (turn) was also same aid stn at mile 45.5, had no water, Gatorade only. 1 at Mile ~30 entry to Bennett, had water. But one of their promotional bits is they try to economize, so this maybe wasn't out of character. Lots of police/state patrol on the bike course. Bike aides on motor cycles provided good support, I saw 3 people being assisted with tires.

Choice of Wahoo fish tacos was great.

Last updated: 2009-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:21 | 1931 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 0/63
Performance: Good
Swam about 200 yds to warmup and get used to wet suit. in water time 44:48
Suit: My usual
Course: out and back. Slight separation on the return (exit a different place than entry by 100 yds). Pretty straight line.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:54:08 | 56 miles | 14.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 61/63
Performance: Average
See Training Log
Wind: Little
Course: out/back leg then a big rectangle box. Navigation was easy. I had previewed the course on MapMyRide.com but not ridden it. Roads are mainly a bit rough, but some are new smooth.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %-
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-13 1:51 PM

User image

New user

Colorado
Subject: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon

2009-09-17 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2403284

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon

Great race Dad! 

Awesome job getting out there and doing it, and figuring out areas to improve as you set your sights on the full HIM distance.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed