Indiana Department of Natural Resources
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 38s
Overall Rank = 10/214
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/23
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 5:15am ate some cream of wheat, used the restroom, drove to Matt's house picked him up at 6:30 and headed to the race
Event warmup:

not much swam to the first buoy and back 300 yards
Swim
  • 00m
  • 500 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off strong, keep drifting to the right, made it to the first buoy in the top 5 in the wave, then hit the first wave swimmers or floaters and had to stop and move around a lot they were all on the inside line, I ended up swimming inside the buoys and then back to go around the turn buoy, once I headed home I started to hammer away and passed several, overall a good swim Goal was: 8:00 actual time:
What would you do differently?:

Not much maybe just swim over all the floaters, but I'm just not that type of person, I probably should have just stayed inside the buoy line the whole way and just came around the buoys when I approached them.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

not sure of real time results have 26 sec. I couldn't run the length of T1 that fast. It was not a real fast T1 I would guess about 1:30 started to take off with the bike and forgot to put my shoes on.

focus better and go in with a purpose
Bike
  • 43m 27s
  • 16.6 miles
  • 22.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted a top 10 split on the bike so I started out hammering. I was passing the early wave in groves, I hadn't seen any 40-44 AG riders yet, so I was sure if any was in front or behind me. I felt good cardiovacular wise, but my legs were really tired I just could not push any harder. I stayed strong and keep pushing. This was a really good mental effort for me I had one 40 year old pass me, but I passed him back and keep him back. I rolled in with the 7th fastest split of the day and beat my goal of 44 min.

nothing, would have been stronger if I wasn't training for an Ironman.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

once again they had T2 wrong, I was in and out fairly quick but they had me at 2:12, I'm guessing it was more like 1:10. I did rack my bike on the second rack instead of the third where I was suppose to be, but it only cost me about :5 seconds to move it over.

pay attention to what I am doing, overall pretty quick change of shoes.
Run
  • 25m 38s
  • 3.75 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

ran strong, I think I could have went harder at the start but legs felt tired, once again cardio wise felt ok not hurting. about 2 minutes into the run a guy in my age group went by me like I was standing still, he was the one I passed back on the bike, there was no way I was catching him in fact he posted the 2nd fastest run split of the day. I slowed a little on the trail runs, I'm just not good there, but on the road I picked it up. I ran a 7:24 mile in the trails and came back with a 6:35 last mile and passed a couple more people then with a half mile to go another guy in my age group passed me, I tried to go with him but realized when I was running a 6:17 pace I was not going to catch him. Goal sub 7 min.

Not much hit it harder from the start, I should not be able to run a sub 6:20 pace for that last 1/2 mile.
Post race
Warm down:

walked and talked

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ironman training just wore out

Event comments:

One of my favorite races, great venue, pizza,goodies,free ice cream, towel, old tech shirts for $5, chip timing, all for $35 what a great event. BTW a rider got side swiped by a deer on the course, my friend saw it happen and said the deer ran out of the woods and just t-boned him knocking him off the road into the ditch. He ran over to the guy and he was unconcious for over 30 seconds, then came too. An ambulance came and took him away, not sure of his status, but what a freaky accident.

Last updated: 2009-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 500 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 13/214
Performance: Good
stood up in the water at 8:26 timing mat is up at the top of the hill at T1
Suit: full 2XU elite
Course: out 150 yards right turn then 200 yards across another right then 150 back in to the beach
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:27 | 16.6 miles | 22.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 7/214
Wind: Little
Course: around the lake with some small rollers
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:38 | 03.75 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 16/214
Course: on a fire road, then into the woods, back onto the road, then back into the woods for more trail run with steps and a bridge, then back onto the road for the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-13 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Subject: Mighty Mississinewa Triathlon

2009-09-13 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2403364

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Mighty Mississinewa Triathlon
Great report! I heard about that deer accident. How crazy is that! Good luck with your Ironman training. I love the MMT! Too bad the Boilerman was the same day!
2009-09-13 10:07 PM

New user

Hey thanks for your informative post rpm1418.  The Mississinewa tri was my first tri and I finished 83rd and was 31st overall in the swim.  I am 31 and have been training for about 4 months.  I like your race report and would love to incorporate the same type of report for my own races someday. 

What happened with a deer?  While on the bike leg I saw a few guys down to the side in the woods sort of.  Did someone hit a deer?  Was the person okay if yes?  Did the deer survive? 

Good luck on your Ironman!
2009-09-14 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Hey thanks for your informative post rpm1418.  The Mississinewa tri was my first tri and I finished 83rd and was 31st overall in the swim.  I am 31 and have been training for about 4 months.  I like your race report and would love to incorporate the same type of report for my own races someday. 

What happened with a deer?  While on the bike leg I saw a few guys down to the side in the woods sort of.  Did someone hit a deer?  Was the person okay if yes?  Did the deer survive? 

Thanks, you did very well for your first tri and that was a great swim.  My training partner did this race last year and it was his 2nd race ever and finished 86th in the swam and this year was 3rd overall out of the water, so it can be done.  As far as the deer I guess it ran out of the woods and hit the guy dead on from the side and knocked him in the woods.  The deer was not found so I guess it was alright and I have not heard about the status of the biker.  You should be able to do a race report on here by hitting your race tab and filling in the info, good luck training and hopefully I will see you out there.

Ron
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty Mississinewa Triathlon Rss Feed