FIRM Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 50m 57s
Overall Rank = 201/316
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

My goal/desire for this race was to finally break 6 hours in an HIM.

We spent the night at my SIL's mother's beach house in Charlestown. Had a nice walk on the beach on Saturday afternoon after packet pick up. First time being at the ocean all summer... Must not let a whole summer go by without some ocean time...

Set the alarm for 4:30. Slept pretty well as I was feeling a little under it on Saturday... girl stuff... :O. Kind of dragged it out of bed when the alarm went off. Ate oatmeal with yogurt and banana. Realized the night before that I had forgotten to get some Boost which is usually part of my pre-race meal. Dave went out to get us coffee.

Loaded up the car and headed for the race site around 5:30. It was dark! Unloading the bike and the gear in the dark was a little unsettling. Additionally, you could hear the surf and it sounded rough... It wasnt really too bad, just not used to hearing the sound.

Sun came up as I got into transition after getting body marked. I was in the second to last rack and the last rack was a shorter one, so it would be easy to find my bike. There was plenty of room on the rack too which was nice. Chatted with some women around me and talked about the swim. A couple of them had done the race several times before and reported that the swim was awesome and nothing to worry about :)

Event warmup:

Warm up was the walk down the beach to the swim start. It was overcast and grey, but the light misting we'd had on the trip to the race sight had let up so that was encouraging. I didn't want to do this race in the rain based on what I knew about the bike course...
Swim
  • 36m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is the first time I've raced in the ocean so I was a little nervous about it. However, I have spent a lot of time in my life swimming in the ocean - body surfing and general frolicking in the water. I have no fear of waves and learned at an early age how to deal with them so really there was nothing I needed to be afraid of... It just such a big body of water! In any case, the swim was actually a lot of fun! It took a lot of energy to get out to that first buoy as the surf was up and the tide was out. So, it was kinda shallow and there was a lot of surf. Difficult to get started swimming with any kind of rhythm. It took a while to get my breathing under control and relaxed and I took a couple of mouthfuls of salt water, but I eventually got into groove.
What would you do differently?:

I think I did pretty well given I haven't actually been in the ocean in a couple of years. The water was beautiful but a little choppy. I think I actually sighted pretty well except for at the end when I rounded the last big buoy and found myself getting out of the water a little too far down the beach.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

They had wetsuit strippers which I hadn't expected but was awesome!

Nothing. I think I was pretty quick with it.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I was nervous about this bike course just based on all that I'd heard and read about it. There were some parts of it that were a little crazy and maybe unsafe. It wasn't THAT bad though. The place where I really felt like it was really a bad scene was on 1 where you had to cross over the Narragansett/Point Judith exit. There were no volunteers or cops there and I felt like a sitting duck out on a very busy highway. I had hoped for a 3 hour bike split but with the hilly sections on the back roads and the chewed up pavement in some places, I'm pretty happy with being a little bit over. There was a bit a headwind heading back to Narragansett on 1 that made the going tough too.

Wouldn't do anything differently. Just ride a little harder. My legs were a little fried coming out of the swim so took a while to get them going hard.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Pretty speedy transition. The bike in was at the opposite end to where my rack was so a little jaunt across the t-area.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 01m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt a little toasted getting started on the run but was committed to running - not walking - the entire distance. I knew that the sub 6 I came here for was well within reach if I just ran steady. So I started out just easy and letting my body find the happy place. I stopped to use the porto at the mile 1 aid station - what a relief! The first couple of miles felt difficult but after a while i started to feel better and just settled into a nice steady effort. The first dog ear I felt like I was out there by myself. But when I got to the second loop I had more company and started catching up to people that were ahead of me. Started to push a little harder at mile 8 knowing that the last turnaround was coming up and then I'd be headed to the finish. Kept an eye on my watch to make sure I was keeping a good enough pace for the sub 6. That's what I came here for! I ran really strong the last 4 miles and even maintained on the big hill. I wanted a little cushion in there as I knew the beach part was coming and would take some edge off my speed and my time.

Finally hit the beach and it sucked even more than I remembered or imagined. I probably would have been just under 2 hours had the race ended on hard surface.

Nothing. I had an excellent run.
Post race
Warm down:

Took a few minutes to not feel like I might die after crossing the finish line. The long run in the sand was exhausting. Drank some water and headed for the showers outside the beach pavillion to let some fresh water run over my body. Water was freezing, but felt sooooo good. Got some food and hung out for little bit. Chatted with people i knew and watched a few of the last racers come in. The day had turned out beautiful and there were lots of people on the beach. But, around 2PM, the dark clouds rolled in and dropped a little more rain. No worries - the race was dry!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No limitations. I did the best I could and wrapped up my tri season on a very high note. No complaints here!

Event comments:

This a good race. I would do it again. The bike course is a bit dicey, but the swim is fun and different and the run course is pretty nice. There were a lot of volunteers out on the bike course with the exception of a couple of spots where I thought there should have been more, but its a lot of miles to cover and I would guess it is quite the task to cover it all. Tons of volunteers on the run course. The race is a little ghetto but the price is reasonable and the venue is pretty darned nice too.

Last updated: 2009-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:39 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 254/316
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Sleave 2XU
Course: Course is "J" shaped and basically runs along the beach once you get out to the first buoy and then cuts in on curve after the last buoy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:08 | 56 miles | 17.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 205/316
Wind: Some
Course: The course is mostly flat, but there's a fair amount of hills in the mid section and some false flats out on Route 1.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:01:37 | 13.1 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 164/316
Course: The run is a single loop that consists of two dog ears. The first goes through a neighborhood and there are lots of volunteers with aid stations set up. The second is scenic down a long road. Its a nice course because there are lots of opportunities to see your friends and your competition along the way. There is a significant hill on the second dog ear. You get to run down it on the way out and up it on the way in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-13 8:12 PM

User image

Master
CT
Subject: Firm Man Half Iron Triathlon

2009-09-13 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2403958

Champion
Subject: RE: Firm Man Half Iron Triathlon
Great job Pam!  Especially on the swim.  I've always had a hard time with salt water, since the one race I did and swallowed enough of it that it bothered me a lot on the bike, upsetting my stomach.  Seems like you avoided that problem.  Transition times were nice and speedy.  And just short of 18 mph on the bike is awesome.  I don't know how hilly that course is, but hills sure do slow down the pace a lot.  But running a 2 hour half mary after all that?  Incredible...I can't even do that on just a run by itself!  Sounds like you had a lot of support and good to see you ended the season on such a positive effort.   Cool
2009-09-15 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2403958

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Subject: RE: Firm Man Half Iron Triathlon
See? I  told you the swim wasn't that bad! Congrats on the sub-6. You've had quite a season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Firm Man Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed