United States
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 43m 40s
Overall Rank = 29/103
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Packed car up with bike and stuff the night before. Woke up at 4:30, got dressed, put the rest of the stuff in the car and headed over to pick Dad up. Stopped off at our normal place for a PB bagel to eat. It was raining/not very nice when we got to the park. Jay pulled up next to me and 2 guys on the other side of me were getting ready to head out for a ride. We both said at the same time that there's one team we won't beat. They ended up winning it. The good news is they're BT!
Event warmup:

Some running back and forth to the bathroom was about it. Was mostly helping some 1st timers who are friends of mine get set up and talk through any last minute jitters/questions they have. After the pre-race stuff Jay and I wanted to get at the front of the start line in order to not have to jump all around passing people on the 3/4 mile run to the canoes.
Swim
  • 21m 59s
  • 2461 yards
  • 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Didn't want to do an all out sprint on this as I did that last year with my partner and my legs didn't feel good the rest of the race. We got out at a good pace and eventually passed a number of teams/folks who went out too fast. Got right to the canoe at the waters edge. We hadn't really determined who was in front and back so since I got to the boat first I jumped in the front and off we went. I always forget that canoeing for about 15 minutes pretty much all out really burns out the arms/shoulders. Kept digging and digging the whole time. Don't think anyone actually passed us in the water. At one point we had a canoe from the left and right cross in front of us so we had to stop until the 3 of us were separated. It sucks when you have to get that momentum going again. Paddled right to the dock, jumped out and carried the canoe up to the pavement without any issues.
What would you do differently?:

I need to train more speedwork so I can run harder to the canoes. That and if we had actually went and trained together for the canoe that may have helped.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition time is in with Canoe time. We took our time a bit here changing into our bikes shoes, etc. We definitely could've busted our ass more here and probably saved up to a minute.

Don't take our time.
Bike
  • 54m 11s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a problem clipping in with my left foot right at the start. I had to unclip and clip in again and it took about 40 seconds or so to get it on right. Jay had taken off at that point so in a sense it was good as I had a target to catch up to but I wanted to stay with him from the start and try and drive us to a bit faster bike time. After some initial downhills and gentle uphills turned right onto Callowhill for the 1st major hill. Was able to pass the team in front of me on the hill but still no sign of Jay. Was struggling a bit to find a rhythm and didn't feel like I was having a good bike at this point. Made my way over to the 2nd major hill and again was able to make pretty good time up it without any issues. After the hill there are 2 good downhills on the back side of the course and I made an effort to peddle and push through them to gain any time I could. Passed the park entrance to transition to complete lap 1 and I thought I could see Jay up ahead a bit. Really tried pushing it with a hope of catching him on the next hill. Realized it was definitely him on the hill but didn't quite catch him there. About 1/2 mile after though I caught up and we tried to push through the rest of the ride. It was good to have company on the last hill as it seemed easier. We rode it in strong to transition.

Just need to train on hills. Was fairly happy with this bike but there's always room for improvement.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again transition time is in with bike time. We both changed into different sneakers than the 1st leg as they were wet and nasty. Again we took our time when we should've been busting it.

Just move faster and with more urgency. Definitely 30 or more seconds to find here.
Run
  • 27m 30s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I new I was going to struggle to keep up with Jay here. Coming off the bike my legs felt pretty good. We started out at a decent pace and came out of the wooded areas to the dam and I was able to pace off of Jay without too much trouble. Over the dam was fine as is flat as a pancake. As we got back into the path and the hills and turns I started to fall back ever so slightly. I didn't feel awful just didn't have enough energy to keep up. At the turnaround he waited for me (only about 15 seconds I think) and then we were on our way back. I struggled right from the start here keeping up but was giving it all I could. As we continued on he got about 40 or so seconds ahead. The last 1/2 mile or so I really tried to push and eventually caught up to where he was waiting to finish and we ran hard up to the chute.

I need to focus on my run training with more of a plan and get my fitness back where it should be and look to gain some speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and a bar as was pretty hungry. Saw Paul and Brian over in transition looking to go out on the run so went over to give them encouragement. Found Dad and talked for a few and then watched Rich/Jared and Mike/Jeff finish. Decided to walk/jog back out to find both Sue/Lynn (1st race ever) and Paul/Brian. Saw Sue and Lynn about 1/2 mile from the finish and gave them a high five. Found Paul/Brian just after they had turned around so I jogged it back with them trying to talk Paul through it as he was having a really hard time at this point. Stopped just short of the finish area so they could finish just as their own team.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just time and training. Same as always.

Event comments:

This was my 1st ever race and it's for a 9/11 victim. I've done it now 3 years in a row and plan on doing it as long as they plan on putting it on.

Last updated: 2009-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:59 | 2461 yards | 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/103
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 3/4 mile run to a 1.5 mile canoe instead of a swim.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:11 | 14 miles | 15.50 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 2 seven mile rectangle loops around the park with 2 main hills with some part of the course on the park bike course and the rest on local streets.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:30 | 03.3 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back in the park.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-13 8:30 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: Patriot Games

2009-09-13 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2403990

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Patriot Games
That's so cool that it was a canoe race! I love that! I am a boater, so for me it sounds super fun! Sounds like you had a great time and looks to me like you did real well! Bravo!
2009-09-14 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
great job! it was good to meet you.
hopefully you can work with your partner on the bike next year. it's not a very easy bike course and going it alone doesn't make it any easier.
not sure if we'll be able to make it next year, but hopefully i'll see you out there again!
2009-09-14 7:55 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Awesome job, Bob!!!  This sounds like it is a really fun race!  That's great of you to go back out and run in with your friends ~ you rock!!
2009-09-17 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

Congrats on a solid race...nice job taking off 5min from last year's time and nice to meet you afterwards.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Games Rss Feed