General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica Malibu Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nautica Malibu Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Malibu, California
United States
Michael Epstein Sports Productions, Inc.
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 06m 50s
Overall Rank = 1076/1078
Age Group = Clydes+
Age Group Rank = 16/16
Pre-race routine:

Was up on time and felt well-rested. Had some protein and light breakfast. Rode down to the transition area 15 min after opening, set up my spot (which was right near the entrance from swim, but a huge length to bike exit).
Event warmup:

Put on wet suit and then had a 3/4 mile walk down the strand to swim start. Following a trip to the john, I did a couple of lengths out and back into the rough water to raise heart rate and gauge current.
Swim
  • 33m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt really good about my swim. If I had been more aggressive in start (walked in and stayed to outside) and stayed in on the buoys (instead of keeping out of the mosh by about 25 yards) I could have finished as hig as 3rd in my wave.
What would you do differently?:

See overall comments
Transition 1
  • 06m 36s
Comments:

I am not a strong transitioner - just a heavy dude who needs to build momentum. I sat to put on my shoes, took my time, and as stated above - had about 300 yards to cover to get out of transition.

See Overall comments
Bike
  • 1h 41m 8s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Slowest here - at 320 lbs coming into this race, I really slowed climbing the hills. But to be fair - it was almost exactly what I predicted I would put in in talking strategy with my wife. I will say, I enjoyed being just ahead of the women's field. It meant being passed by 20-somethings, then 30-somethings, then 40-somethings...you get the idea. Plugged along, had a couple of good conversations with a couple of others strugglers.

See Overall comments
Transition 2
  • 04m 44s
Comments:

Not quite as bad as T1 - did not sit, but knew the run was going to be a problem.

See overall comments
Run
  • 1h 40m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 16m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok...so I struggled, ridiculously so. I just started running stand alone 10ks this year and never tacked onto a multisport day like this. I jogged for some of the course (maybe a 1/3), but had pains in my left knee, right shin, and my right ankle started to make a popping sound with each agressive step. Note: I am not saying that I slowed because I was injured, I was injuring myself because I was unprepared.

See overall comments
Post race
Warm down:

I received a nice wet towel, some water, and some food. I went home (5 minutes away) and took an ice bath. Had to go back over about an hour after finishing to get the 4 relay teams we registered squared away after some check in drama - this took 90 minutes... then finally a nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See Overall comments

Event comments:

This is a great race - my own ability not withstanding.

Last updated: 2009-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:32 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 0/1078
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Simple rectangle course, marked by six orange buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:41:08 | 24.85 miles | 14.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/16
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Beautiful course, ride it every week.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:44
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:40:50 | 06.21 miles | 16m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/16
Performance: Bad
Course: Relatively flat - out and back, with 2 doglegs to make the distance 6.2...beautiful place to suffer
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-13 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
Subject: Nautica Malibu Triathlon
So I made this public despite its terrible triathlon resume building.  I finished DFL in Clydes and only 2 men finished slower than me.  This was my first Olympic distance and I was pretty unprepared:  I came no where near my benchmarks for my training plan AND I struggled with weight and some depression late in the summer.  Instead of coming into the race as I had envisioned when I committed to it, I towed the line at least 20 lbs heavier than I had hoped and much less mentally prepared.

That being said, it was important for me to be there and important for me to finish.  Rather than commenting on the tidbits I could have done better above, suffice to say I am looking at a need for overall improvement.  Much like the new weightlifter who focuses on dumbbell curls instead of squats and deadlifts, detailed analysis is not as helpful at this point.

I am certain that I was not quite ready for the Olympic distance.  I had yet to complete a sprint with any competitive swagger.  I came to be enrolled in the Malibu Oly for the right reasons though.  I challenged my church regarding their own vitality and fitness and promised that I would challenge myself at the longer distance IF some would join me by doing the Classic as an individual or relay.  Our little church of about 45 regulars fielded 14 athletes spread out over 4 relay teams and two AG competitors.  I could not have been more proud.

So, coming from a very centered and contemplative place, I would say three things:
1.) I finished and DFL>DNF>DNS.
2.) I have a base line to evaluate all future Oly endeavors.
3.) I moved 320 lbs through the world yesterday, covering roughly 33 miles, over the course of 4 hours, burning 4400 calories in the effort.

Edited by Revbigdog 2009-09-13 10:19 PM

2009-09-14 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2404179

User image

Veteran
El Segundo, CA
Subject: RE: Nautica Malibu Triathlon

Well done! Your three final points really put the finish into perspective, something we all would do well to remember from time to time. And I agree- it was a beautiful place to suffer!

Thanks again for offering up your church's lot for parking. I didn't end up taking advantage of it (got to Zuma late), but I had the parking pass printed and ready.

2009-09-14 3:52 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Great job getting to the finish line, Andy...and even better work getting your congregants to join in this year.  Hope you recover well and I look to see you out there again!
2009-09-15 10:04 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Way to go Rev!!!  sound like you struggled, but you finished and that is all that matters!!!  Congrats!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica Malibu Triathlon Rss Feed