Sunny
Total Time = 4h 47m 11s
Overall Rank = 36/252
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/25
Pre-race routine:

2 Ensure, power bar, 1 banana, coffee.
Event warmup:

flopped around the pond for a couple minutes. chatted with coach a couple minutes, and made small talk with some other athletes.
Swim
  • 27m 49s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

this was a great swim. I just felt great the whole time. I got into a very nice rhythm early, and had a nice 2 beat kick going that I think helped me a lot. I really liked the beach start and running out, added a fun element to the swim. the two loop course is nice, too....lets you check your pace as you get out.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

they have a hill climb challenge. very big hill into T1, I just took my time, as my first goal after the swim was to get my HR down. got to my bike, took my time and headed out. T1 left on a downhill, which I was glad to see as I could get on the bike and clip in as the bike was moving.

nothing. good T1
Bike
  • 2h 35m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I had a great bike yesterday, and still think I did.

for the first few miles, I just took it easy and got my HR down, and started getting some liquid feedings in. Main focus for first quarter of ride was to get in nutrition and get HR down.

2nd quarter I started to push up a little bit, but still held back. I was taking in around 460 cals per hour, so really, the first 1.5 hours was all about getting food in at a low HR.

once the 3rd quarter hit, I started to hammer a little. This is where the fun began. I was no longer getting passed and passing several who flew by my early on. I was feeling really good, and still holding back slightly.

On the last quarter, I was really pushing it hard. My legs felt great, and I finally felt comfortable with letting lose a little. I averaged 23.5 MPH over the last 13 miles, and most importantly, got off the bike ready to run.

Executed the plan perfectly, negative split the bike. Started out a little to easy, but this is where you learn for next time. I'd rather realize I left a little out there than realize I went too fast.

Start out a litte strong in the beginning. Now that I understand the importance of going out easy and the importance of pacing, a more even split could make more sense, with a strong push at the end. something to think about.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

good T2, except for the jacka$$ who racked his bike in my spot. I am sure he did that because someone took his, but dont turn your promblem into mine. I just crammed my bike in the little space available.

nothing.
Run
  • 1h 40m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I was nervous about the run. I just wasn’t sure how my gut and body would react.

My Garmin wouldn't sync up for about 3 miles, so I was running on feel. My plan was to start out easy and get faster in the end. It was a 4 lap course, 3.1 miles each lap. Nutrition wise, I took in a gel every 20-25 minutes, coke at 30 minutes and around 1 hour and Gatorade at every aid station. I wore a Fuel Belt which was key to stick to my plan.

I should have checked the course more closely, I couldn’t figure out the distance until half way through. My plan was to push the last 5k. First 10 miles were between 7:40-8:10/mile. Last three splits were my best three of the day.

When I saw the end, I was pumped. My legs were beginning to tighten up, and I was ready to be done. Charged home, and when I saw I was sub 5, I was very proud.

Nothing, well paced run. maybe turn my garmin off after the swim, but than risk losing battery power.
Post race
Warm down:

wakled down to the pond and that felt great....ate a turkey dinner, which was top notch. everything homemade....sooo good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

going out too easy on the bike. But the more I think of it, that's the point, right? I only got passed once on the run, and passed a slew of people.

Event comments:

This race is top notch. In a great location, 3-4 volunteers minimum at every turn on the bike, bright orange shirts, huge flags, stopping traffic and letting you know where to turn well before you got to the turn. Just awesome.

Looking at my results overall, I am happy. however, the competitor in me wants more. I think I could have finished 2-3 minutes faster had I started out A LITTLE stronger on the bike. That could have placed my in the AG. But this is where how we learn. Experience.

Also, there were 9-10 elites here. Several KQers. Races paysout some nice cash awards, so it draws some big names. Cait and Tim Snow. Cait won IMLP in 2008. Tony Delogne, the overall IMLP winner in 2005 was there. He went sub 4 hours!!

Last updated: 2009-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:49 | 2112 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/25
Overall: 45/252
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2 loop triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:35:17 | 56 miles | 21.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/25
Overall: 54/252
Wind:
Course: 2 loop with out and back.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:40:37 | 13.1 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/25
Overall: 42/252
Course: out and back, no flat spots. either up or down. slightly long, 13.3 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-14 8:06 AM

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival

2009-09-14 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2404598

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival
strong finish to a strong first season.  congrats man!

ps - you were in Maine and you chose turkey for dinner??  Wink
2009-09-15 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Wow - you destroyed your first half. Congratulations - that is a great result.
2009-09-15 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
your having a pretty successful first year, your times are phenomenal.

Congrats on a great half!!!

you are one fasssstttt dood!!

2009-09-24 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Man dude tough AG.  Great job and awesome time! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival Rss Feed