TNT productions
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 49s
Overall Rank = 2583/3933
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 168/351
Pre-race routine:

Ate a roast beef sandwich from Dean and Deluca that was sitting in my ice bucket in the hotel room.
Event warmup:

Just some stretching. No time really to do much more. But everything went fairly smoothly. Stood in line for bathroom twice. Forgot to lock the porta-john door and definitely flashed a line of people waiting. Woops
Swim
  • 26m 38s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was pretty much the only person not wearing a wet suit. But I thought the water felt great. I definitely got punched in the eye once and may have swam over a few people in the beginning. I was annoyed that girls who are clearly not good swimmers insisted on pushing ahead of my at the start line, only to have me swim over them. Maybe next time I will just tell them that chances are I am going to swim over them, so they might as well let me ahead at the start.
What would you do differently?:

Just tell girls at the start that I will swim over them if they don't let me ahead.
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

A little slow but purposefully so. I was quite afraid of going too hard at the beginning of the race since it was my first Oly.

Not much.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 57s
  • 40 kms
  • 27.29 km/hr
Comments:

I had some problems in the beginning. I dropped my chain twice, which I think was operator error. Then a whole pack of GU gel that someone threw on the course got stuck on my wheel. I felt super slow in the first 10 miles. I wasn't sure what was going on. I think my legs weren't warmed up. My friend was at the half way point with a sign and it was great encouragement.

I need to warm my legs up before the race, or kick harder during the swim. I also can go faster, but I was afraid for the run.
Transition 2
  • 03m 53s

Not much. I had my gu's ready, and my inhaler.
Run
  • 1h 07m 35s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 46s  min/km
Comments:

I just got passed left and right, but I ran the whole thing, and did it at my own pace. There were a bunch of people who would run and walk, and I would get passed by them, and then pass them. I am glad I set my pace and race, even though it was soo slow! I am coming off a heel injury, which kept me from running for two weeks, so that may have factored into it. I was also scared about going too fast then not being able to finish.

Pick up the pace a little. Maybe bring my own water with me so I could drink when I wanted to.
Post race
Warm down:

Just some walking and hugs from friends!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to lose a few pounds. I have the asthma under control now though.

Event comments:

What a great race! You would have never realized there were 4000 people out there! So much fun.

Last updated: 2009-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:38 | 1500 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/351
Overall: 351/3933
Performance: Good
Suit: Just my TriSuit
Course: The Potomac was pretty gross, but once I started swimming it didn't even occur to me. When I jumped in my feet hit a very sooty bottom of the river though. Uck.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:27:57 | 40 kms | 27.29 km/hr
Overall: 3097/3933
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Beautiful course. There were some rough patches and it was narrow at times. Considering the amount of people on the course, I thought it was great.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:53
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:07:35 | 10 kms | 06m 46s  min/km
Overall: 3258/3933
Performance: Below average
Course: It was a beautiful and flat course. Got to see a bunch of the monuments, etc.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-14 9:34 AM

Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2009-09-14 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2404798

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon
Great job on your first OLY...I also really liked this race...
It was a beautiful day out there..I might ahve been one of the girls running/walking. that you passed...
I suggest you just put yourself on the front line of the swim and not bother telling anyone that you will swim over them.  Don't bother wasting your breath with that when you can just put yourself up there...
Congrats!!!
2009-09-14 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Great job. I also winced at the goo at the bottom of the river. Half expected to step on a body/parts.
2009-09-14 5:27 PM

Thanks so much!  I had a great time, but the competitor in me can't wait to get under three hours!!  It was an awesome weekend.
2009-09-15 10:56 AM

User image

Regular
Had to laugh at the comment on telling the other girls in your wave you're just going to swim over them!  That might work actually.  I definitely rode slower the first half of the bike, there was a head wind going out on the Clara Barton and I suspect a net rise in elevation... so that might've been what you noticed? Great job regardless!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed