United States
60sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 06m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M45+
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Honey Nut Cheerios and a banana. Scott drove from camp site to TA, I walked over with my bike and backpack. We set up Scott's tent. We racked side by side. I saw Emily briefly to say hi. She did the 5 hour solo and won her AG.
Event warmup:

No real time or need for warm up for this one.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 656 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

#1 - With wetsuit ~ 13 min. Sun was out at start but before 1st turn the fog rolled back in. Hard to see buoys. By the far shore and just after the turn the water was shallow enough you could walk or porpoise. Bottom was pretty mucky so I mainly just swam.
#2 - Due to fog, no swim on #2 for anybody
#3 - No wesuit ~ 15 min. Forgot my nose clips. Water temp was fime w/o wetsuit. Sighted really well. I could tell my position in the water wasn't as good as with wetsuit but it wasn't too bad overall w/o the wetsuit.
#4 - With wetsuit ~ 14.5 min. Took the extra time to put wetsuit on. I thought it would be better to conserve energy and wear wetsuit.

All my swims went well. Good breathing, good sighting, felt comfortable and smooth. Got a little off course on #1 in the fog when I was following someone but not too bad. Wetsuit on #4 just in case I needed to take a break and rest for a bit but didn't need a break.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

#1 - not ready. My helmet was still strapped to backpack and I didn't have sunglasses out.
#2 - #4 no issues here. Just taking time to grab some nutrition and get going. Probably my slowest was #1

You can have help in transition, so Barb was keeping my aero bottle full and was usually around.
What would you do differently?:

Be ready for #1 with helmet & sunglasses.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 14 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

#1 - Foggy, going down the biggest hill was a little scary on the way out because I couldn't see very far ahead of me. I started out with shoe clipped in. Had a little trouble getting unclipped with hill at end and then no room. ~ 45 min
#2 - Again unclipped at beginning, probably a mistake. I mainly coasted down beginning big hill and got feet into shoes after. ~ 43 min
#3 - Wore shoes, clipped in at beginning, definitely the way to go. ~ 43 min.
#4 - Still feeling good on the bike. A little fatigue in the quads but not bad. About .5 mile after turnaround I get a flat on my rear tire. I walk back to a driveway to change it. I have metal sqiggly, kind of like a staple sticking thru my tire. It only took me about 8 min to change the tube. Probably the fastest I've ever had. I go about another 4-4.5 mile and the rear tire is flat again. Nothing obvious like last time. SInce I didn't have far to go for some reason I thought I'd just use my last CO2 and fil it up and get at least close to finish. I had another tube. I should have just changed the tube again. Tube did not hold air. I started walking in. A gal stopped and offered to help. She had Co2 but it was non-threaded. Another guy offered assistance and I shoould have got a cartridge from him and changed the tube but I said I was ok. SOme volunteers in a pickup finally stopped and gave me a ride back. I was probably a little under 2 miles from bike finish.
What would you do differently?:

Change the tube both times.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2s were usually pretty fast. Grab a gel, drink some water and go. Nothing worthwhile to report here.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

#1 ~ 25 min. Learning the course. Pushing some in spots but aware a long day ahead.
#2 ~ 25 min Knowing what to expect made the followon runs easier. Pace was pretty close to #1.
#3 ~ 26-27 This one was a little slower. Took a little more time on some of the uphills/steps.
Post race
Event comments:

We only had official time for each completed tri. My time estimates are from Barb. I did not use my Garmin but did wear my watch to monitor total time.
#1 - 1:23:15
#2 - 1:11:04
#3 - 1:32:39
I left on my last bike leg about 4:25 into the race and would have completed 4 legs with a time in the 5:45-5:50 range w/o the double flat. The bike maintenance guy did change my last flat for me and said it could have been a faulty tube. The hole was in a weird spot on the tube. The little metal squiggly things, I saw a few of them while walking, were likely from the sweeper he said. He said he had run out of tubes, must have changed 10 flats.

I would have easily finished 2nd in my AG even with only 1 flat and probably with the 2 if I had changed my tube on the 2nd one. Great lesson learned. Each of my completed legs were 4th fastest in the overall standings, so I was doing great until the flat difficulties.

This was definitely a different experience. I was happy with my nutrition and pacing. I had an energy bar on bike #2, a chewy granola bar on bike #4. A gel at the water stop on runs #2 and #3. Flats will happen, I made a poor decision on the 2nd flat. Weather was great, other than the fog. In bad weather this wouldn't be so much fun. I'm not sure if I would want to do this as part of relay with all the down time. The 5 hour solo option is about right.

Last updated: 2009-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 656 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 14 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Out and back, more downhill on the out. A decent small hill right at turn in to the park and bike dismount
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Trail run, kind of an out and back with a loop around the lake. State park trails. 2 way traffic on some parts of run. Some steps, a footbridge, some planking over dips, roots and rocks. You had to pay attention.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-14 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: Burriro Union 5 Hour Triathlon

2009-09-14 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2404893

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Burriro Union 5 Hour Triathlon

Great job!  Yeah, they had that problem last year with the street sweeper debris to.  It's a lose-lose.  Not sweeping would be an issue as well.  You can try to avoid the obvious ones, but of course there are smaller pieces that are just as dangerous.  Too bad you weren't able to finish.

I thought it was a great day, all in all.  Wish I had left a little less skin on the trail personally... but I still say that is the most wonderful run course in existence for a tri.  Very cool.   Isn't getting your wetsuit on after a run a b!tch? 

p.s. Thanks for the shout out!

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2009-09-14 10:57 AM
2009-09-14 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2404893

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Burriro Union 5 Hour Triathlon

Sounds like you had a pretty decent race.  Nicely done.  Too bad about the flats, but I suppose that's why we practice changing them.  I'm not sure I'd be able to change one in eight minutes.  Good report.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Burriro Union 5 Hour Triathlon Rss Feed