Vacation Sports
HotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 14m 54s
Overall Rank = 51/235
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5, only brought a piece of bread with peanut butter and a banana.
Event warmup:

Got parked and took stuff to transition about 45 minutes before race. Picked up packet, barely had time for the restroom, since there weren't very many. Got a quick 60-70 yard swim.
Swim
  • 30m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Haven't been doing a whole lot of swimming lately, so the plan was to take it easy, be smooth. Wasn't feeling real great at the start, but just settled in. There were 4 waves, so mine probably had about 60-70 people? Found open water, missed the front people and was ahead of everyone else, so on my own whole swim, no drafting.
What would you do differently?:

Suck it up and catch the faster people to draft.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Run up quite a few stairs to get to bike. Was rushed pre-race, so stuff was kind of disorganized. Slow.

Be organized.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Fairly happy with the ride. Could have went harder, but stayed conservative as it was gonna be a hot run. I did drop my chain and it got tangled around my pedal going down a hill, so lost momentum and had to get off the bike to fix it. Also, I got pretty upset about mile 35 when a pack of 15-20 riders went by me, wheel on wheel. I recognized about 10 of them, as I had already passed them earlier. Eventually, when they fell off the draft pack, I re-passed a few of them. Simple concept, don't draft if it's a non-drafting race. Shouldn't matter if there's no marshall's enforcing it. Unless the race was draft legal, but everyone told me it wasn't. Shame.

Not drop chain, maybe take in some more fluids.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Put shoes and socks on...well, one sock went on. Had to take other shoe off to put sock back on.

organization.
Run
  • 2h 02m 44s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went ok until about mile 8. Running is my weakest of the three and I was going to try between 8-8:30 pace for first few miles, since it was hilly and then possibly knock it up a notch, or hold steady. Held steady until about miles 6-7 and started to slow a bit. Miles 8-13 were bad. Stopped at all the aid stations, literally, to take in water, gatorade and pour more water on my head. Stomach was sloshing around. Was very hot. Walked too much.

Figure out how to hydrate better. Possibly a fuel belt to take in more liquids prior to the aid station rather than all at once. Need to keep cool and hydrated.
Post race
Warm down:

Went and sat in the lake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental state on the run; hydration. Too many beers earlier in the week.

Event comments:

Great lake to swim in, fun bike course (save for the cheating drafters); run course would have been fine with some cloud cover, cooler day and me sucking it up.

Last updated: 2009-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:28 | 2112 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 38/235
Performance:
Suit: xterra
Course: Lake was awesome. Clean/clear water. Two loop course, but you never got out of the water.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:38:11 | 56 miles | 21.24 mile/hr
Overall: 40/235
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops. Fairly hilly. I did the Kansas 70.3 and would compare the two as far as toughness. Kansas had steeper hills, but this course never really seemed to have many flat stretches. There were a couple of times that seemed flat, but I was going 15-16 mph and thought my tires might be rubbing. False flats. Roads were decent, with a couple of rough stretches.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:02:44 | 13.2 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Overall: 87/235
Performance: Below average
Course: First 2-3 miles were hilly, than fairly flat. Turn around was at the top of a hill. Last 2-3 miles were hilly. Out and back course. Absolutely no shade, hot and little to no wind.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-14 10:43 AM

Subject: Square Lake Triathlon

2009-09-14 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2405014

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: RE: Square Lake Triathlon
Nice race! Don't you love the hills out there? The uphill finish is especially exciting.

Bummer there was drafting on the course but I'm guessing there's not much enforcement in these races. Most times, we're lucky if Randy can get water out to the aid stations or have a semi-accurate distance on the swim.
2009-09-14 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2405132

Subject: RE: Square Lake Triathlon
Thanks!  I had totally forgotten about having to go back up hill at the finish...thought it was smooth sailing and then boom!   Yeah, no enforcement at all, basically the whole honor code thing.  Just a little frustrating when I saw a couple people pass, stood up to stretch/let them complete the pass and the pack kept coming.  A few of the people that I had passed earlier kind of looked at me, knowing that they probably shouldn't be drafting.  Oh well, it happens. 

Also, the race is pretty reasonably priced, especially if you sign up early, I think it's like 45 bucks.  Also, great lake to swim in.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Triathlon Rss Feed