Set Up Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/28
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel at home, put my transition bag in my car, and headed off. I got to the race site, met my parents, and set up. I was incredibly nervous, but kept trying to remind myself that this was just another race.
Event warmup:

Walked to the river and stretched out. I figured I would warm-up in the water. It was a long race and I figured if I could go slow enough to warm up in the swim, I'd be able to find my pace and not worry about others. That was the plan, anyway.
Swim
  • 47m 25s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was so confusing! I got to the first yellow buoy just fine, but turned, looked into the sun, and saw nothing. I kept following people and made it to another orange buoy, where they made us turn again. I was greatly confused, but I was not the only one. I kept trying to find the next buoy and couldn't. I heard a guy in a boat yell to a guy in a kayak that we were way off course and needed to be brought in. I kept following people and eventally spotted one of those big waving yellow figures in the shore. I swam towards that. I don't know how far off course I ended up, but based on my time and my pace, I'd estimate I was about 200 meters off. I think one of the orange buoys drifted out and that's why people ended up so off course.
What would you do differently?:

Figured out a way to stay on course. Other than the confusion, which resulted in poor sighting, I had a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m 31s
Comments:

I knew this would be a long transition. Long run to the TA and I wanted to make sure I took the time to get the grass off my feet for the bike. So it took me a little time, but it went smoothly.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 55m
  • 56 miles
  • 61.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out with a great bike ride. My pace was great, I felt good... I've ridden this course twice before, and this was my best ride yet. I wasn't uncomfortable, I wasn't bored... It was a great day for a ride and I was enjoying it. I got to the first water hand off, got a bottle, and started filling up my aerobottle. I hit something, lost control, and went down.

That ended my race. they put me in an ambulance, took me to the ER, and I got 13 stitches. Not a race I'll forget any time soon. I am heartbroken that I couldn't finish it, though.

Check my logs for the full crash story.

Not crash!! Duh!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Never had a chance. I got chilly in the ambulance in my wet bathing suit and they had to cover me up. I had grea blood pressure and pulse, though!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crashing.

Event comments:

Being local, I'm familiar with the whole course. Having done a number or tri's with Setup, I'm also very familiar with them. I didn't get to experience the full race this time, but I know things were well run from what I saw. In addition, Setup and other volunteers at the race site were very helpful to my parents in getting my stuff back to them, locating me, and getting them to me. They held on to my bike until I could get it. I was helped very quickly out on the course. I know that a race that wasn't well organized couldn't have helped me and my parents so quickly and efficiently.

Last updated: 2009-07-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:25 | 2112 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/28
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: It was supposed to be a rectangle: from the shore out to a yellow buoy, turn towards the next yellow buoy, and then turn towards the shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:00 | 56 miles | 61.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/28
Performance:
Wind:
Course: A big loop out of Williamsburg into Charles City County. The roads wind, have a few hills, and some are in better shape than others.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/28
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-14 12:32 PM

User image

Williamsburg
Subject: Patriot's Half

2009-09-14 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2405266

User image

Regular
MD
Subject: RE: Patriot's Half
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that... I saw the ambulance heading in the opposite direction and was hoping it wasn't anything serious.

Glad to hear you're OK (and have a good attitude about it) but sorry your day was cut short. And hope you'll get another chance this year!
2009-09-14 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Heal up and give it a try next year.
2009-09-14 6:38 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I agree with LSU cause if I commit to the half next year I'll need someone to challenge me

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot's Half Rss Feed