Piranha Sports
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 42m 4s
Overall Rank = 81/201
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/25
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:45 AM. Nicki (coach Nicki!) arrived at my house at 4:30 to pack up and drive to race site in Bear, DE. Stopped at Wawa for a coffee and powerbar/Odewalla bar and took two Enduralytes. Ate on way to race and drank vitamin water as well. Hit packet pick up, bathroom (twice) and set up transition. (mostly in the dark..)
Event warmup:

Tried to walk to the water to check out the conditions and the route to transition but ended up just doing a 5 minute jog...legs felt good. Took an Enduralyte and a Hammer Gel 10 minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 48m 43s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Waded out to the general start area. I could see the yellow buoy in the distance. This would be my longest open water swim in my life. I didn't really think about it that way at the time. I was just trying to pick my line and remember to sight properly. I tend to drift to my right while swimming. Unfortunately that was still the case and I think my 3-4 stroke sighting along with the drift must have really slowed me down. I think I'm a stronger swimmer than a 144th place shows so I'll have to think more about strategy and the open water swim. Overall I felt good the entire time. Bi-lateral breathing good and no anxiety at all. Just a long swim.

Nutrition:

- Hammer Gel 10 minutes before start
What would you do differently?:

Work more on how to sight and swim more direct to the buoy in the open water. My fitness level is good and I should be more in the 2:00/100m time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Not bad. T1 rank was 40/201 and 5/25 in my age group so I feel I'm pretty quick. I'm sure there are some small things I could do differently. Learning how to start with the shoes on the bike is a big one. That would save me time. This is a goal for next year.

Not much...want to go into next year being able to start with the bike shoes clicked in. This will shave off a few seconds.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a nice course. Flat and fast and really just one bridge to navigate which is about a mile long. Felt good the entire way as I tried to keep my cadence in the 70-75 range and my speed over 20mph. There was a tailwind on the way out so my first 28 miles I was averaging about 22mph but hit the headwinds across the bridge and pretty much the last 10 miles where my average dropped to 18-19 mph. Overall I was satisfied with the bike portion as I felt I left something for the run.

Nutrition consisted of:

- 4 Endurolytes (2 at 1:00 and 2 at 2:00)
- 3 Hammer Gels (1 every 45 minutes)
- 1 24oz Hammer Sustained Energy bottle
- 1 24oz Heed bottle
- Grabbed one 16oz water bottle from support staff and drank about 8oz's before ditching.

Not much. I was aero most of the time and felt like I kept a good cadence for my fitness level. I'm not strong enough to average 22-24 yet and still have legs for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Not a terrible time overall. 44/201 in the race and 9/25 in my age group. I need to learn to come out of my shoes early and keep them on the bike. I will practice this for next year as it will shave off seconds.

Learn to take shoes off before dismount and heading into transition.
Run
  • 2h 04m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good coming off the bike. Started out with an 8:30ish pace for the first few miles..had a cramp in my left leg develop around mile 2.5 but I ran through it...kept pace in the 9's for a mile or two and then started to feel the sun and energy start to sap...had to walk an aid station or two...had to walk a bit more towards mile 8-9 as my run turned into an 11 minute mile 'shuffle'..but kept going..walked the big hill up to the top and then felt a slight surge towards the end and finished strong with a sub 8:30 mile and left it all on the course. Raced an AG'er to the finish and he beat me by one second. This turned out to be the difference in a 10th place finish in my age group vs. 11th. Overall the run was tough for me but I felt I left it all out there after the strong finish.

Nutrition

- 2 Hammer Gels (45 minutes apart during run)
- 2 Enduralytes before run
- Water/Gatorade at 'most' aid stations (skipped one or two)

Couple of things. First, I train with Heed and I carry it with me on my long runs. My body is trained to get fluid on demand and I think I should race this way. During the race I had to wait for the aid stations and I don't think that helps me. Also I started out too fast even though it felt comfortable. I really tanked after mile 7-8.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw the wife, kids and Nicki at the finish. (Nicki unfortunately was doing great until she pulled a glute muscle during the bike and had to pull out....) Walked around a bit as I was lightheaded. Took in plenty of water and tried to eat a bit but my body wasn't ready for food. Drove home with the wife and kids and walked around a bit more...then had a decent meal and tried to nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A few things:

- Swim needs work. Sighting and more direct line swimming.
- Transitions can be faster with some fine tuning. (minor)
- Run; need to carry fluid (Heed) with me as that's how I train.

Overall I felt I was well prepared for the race and can't wait to go again next year and get closer to the 5:15 mark.

Event comments:

A well organized race and plenty of volunteers. Post race food wasn't much but I guess I expected that. Sandwiches were pretty good. This was my first H.I.M. and it was a great challenge. I'll be ready for more next year!

Last updated: 2009-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:43 | 1931 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/25
Overall: 141/201
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Out to yellow buoy, turn left for about 200m and then back to entry point. Had to also run from water to T1 about 1/3 mile.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:45:17 | 56 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/25
Overall: 74/201
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A flat, fast out and back course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 72
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:04:54 | 13.1 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/25
Overall: 100/201
Performance: Below average
Course: A flat out and back course. There are a few minor downhill/uphills which were still significant in my race especially after mile 8 or so.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes