Ironman North America
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 05m 31s
Overall Rank = 561/2406
Age Group = m35-39
Age Group Rank = 94/356
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race routine huh? Well since you have to sign up a year in advance and i had a beef with my 07 race, i was hoping to come back stronger but also race this distance vs completing it. 07 had picture perfect conditions, my training and race plan were conservative, and though there was some adversity, it just didnt stick well with me that i felt i left something on the table. so the hope this time was to race an IM and i felt that sub 11 was very doable. when the first forecasts were out a week or so before the race and i saw temps in the mid 60s, i was feeling pretty good about the chances of making it happen. however, the desires of some folks to see things a tad warmer screwed us all over and the forecast got worse and worse with things eventually slated for the mid 80s. while my history with heat and sweat rate issues is deep, i really didnt mind it too bad despite my pissing and moaning because i knew this would be an opportunity to test myself by having to race in the worst possible conditions for myself based on history. Lets get it on!!

Day of the race my gut wasnt feeling that great from the start. Hit an Ensure, pb toast, banana and some milk, packed up the car and was off. Got their early, chit chatted with some donks, found a nice secluded corner for about 15 mins to chill and eat some Sharkies or whatever they are called and headed to meet the others for a quick photo op.
Event warmup:

I got in the water way earlier in 07 and was still waiting to get in when the pros started. Basically put on the goggles and headed out to the crowd. I saw sgoehner and rosshole up to the front and right of the ramp and chatted a bit but about 2 mins before the cannon was going to go off, things got a bit claustrophobic and me knowing my place as a swimmer said toodles and zipped back a bit before the cannon. And then......booomm!!!
Swim
  • 1h 24m 25s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m / 100 yards
Comments:

It seemed this time around was a bit more violent than 07. Not sure if that is cuz of where i lined up or what. Hands slapping the back of your legs, a kick to the face once, my prostate checked at one point....just a lot of contact. I tried to stay with the pack more this time around, a function of being a bit more confident albeit still sucky swimmer, but i felt at least like i wasnt sucking terrible out there. A few foot cramps to be flutter kicked away, but other than that just work. I drew my happy hands to cheesily remind me how to better pull (ok, it was a joke but alas the happy hands didnt make it to the run). Felt smooth and efficient. The first turn I was at a 40:45 i think and felt good about that. After that turn I kind of lost track of sighting a bit and the buoy line but after rounding that first buoy on the second loop, got better with that. Just kept churning away reminding myself its a long day. Kept swimming til they helped me out of the water and saw a 1:24. I thought best case scenario would be a 125ish, so happy about that. A few minutes already chopped into my 07 time!!
What would you do differently?:

Not suck at swimming, but that would take work and lessons and what not. I might get around to it someday, or maybe not. This was a good swim for me though.
Transition 1
  • 08m 24s
Comments:

I felt all wild eyed and crazy dropping to the floor and getting my wetsuit stripped with everyone cheering and the HR up there and what not. Just tried to churn it up the helix without getting to crazy. Picked up my t1 bag and since my swim wasnt as sucky as last time, it was actually a little more crowded in there. found a chair and got the gear on, hit the sunscreen peeps and was ready to go. There was a long run from the inside of the building to my bike and my old azz bike shoes with the rubber bottoms allowed me to fly. Little did i know that was gonna be my best run of the day!

Was pretty ok. Just go faster!
Bike
  • 5h 54m 2s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Mounted up and headed down the helix. Saw Lara and some of the her extended fam cheering on John Nolen going nuts which was a nice boost. Got on the loop and there was a lot of folks to pass. The course was very clogged up as the middle of the pack all seemed to be out of the water at once. I tried to be conscious of not hammering the bike or anything and thought I was doing ok. However, this is probably not the case as things started to go wrong after about mile 40. Prior to that, I had seen a bunch of donkey supporters, including my wife and this time the older two girls who went nuts when they saw me and ran along a bit as I was climbing up Midtown. The crowds out in Verona are awesome even though the amount of dudes in banana hammocks out on Timber Lane's climb seemed a bit creepy after a while. it was like a Kenny Souza impersonator convention.

The first loop was just about a non event though I still peeked at my garmin and somewhat felt that 20 mph was going to be too rich a pace to maintain. I tried to reel it in a bit but i think the damage might have been done a bit. To make matters worse at mile 54, while pulling a gel out of my bento box, seriously in slow motion, i watched my vial of salt caps fall to the pavement at 23 mph. crap. i thought about turning around for them but rationalized to myself that the infinit and gels would have enough electrolytes in em to keep me going, so i kept on going. I also in my ultimate wisdom neglected to throw extra salt tabs in my special needs bag, cuz when am i ever going to drop my salt tab vial? I mean, it just wont ever happen right? duh. dunno, like em or lump em, i have had a lot fewer problems with the capsules on hot days vs without. so i guess we will have a little test huh? oh and does it seem to be getting warmer out?

after dropping the capsules, got started on the second loop. i was now starting to use the downhills a bit more and try to ease things back a bit. climbs still felt pretty good but the flats were starting to feel, well, flat. i think it was around mile 75 or so, but suddenly, a new exciting cramp i have never had a cramp on the exterior of my left knee. interesting and wtf? it was so bad that on aero descents i had to hold my left leg straight cuz tucking or bending it and keeping it there wasnt going to happen. I tried to stay with the electrolytes by sticking with the infinit and shortening the time frame to take gels. not much was working, though i started to allow myself out of the seat on climbs to stretch out the legs a bit and that helped marginally. i was seeing more and more of the small ring and just tried to keep moving. it seemed like the winds had picked up but looking at flags in the area i wasnt seeing any hints of anything too noticeable. between being a bit careless on the bike pace and the tabs out of the picture, i wasnt too optimistic with the upcoming run. still, i had remembered how some longer bricks i had been toast on the bike and able to turnover the legs just fine. anywho, brought it back into town after being sooo ready to be off the bike. up the helix and hand the bike off to the valet. Things werent looking so stellar, but I was still in the ballgame for sub 11 if i could just under 3:28ish.

poor bike pacing? it didnt seem like i was hammering it and the splits are deceptive a bit cuz i dont think that first 40 had you into the big climbs in verona yet. i basically abandoned the bike for 6 months for boston mary training but was still able to train into what i thought was a decent bike pace. just gotta get better at knowing when to unleash what when. will also never forget extra salt caps just in case. if it wasnt for the heat i wouldnt have even worried about it and think its more cuz i was too aggressive pace wise, but i am pretty sure the s-caps would have helped at least a bit as it has in other similar situations.
Transition 2
  • 05m 50s
Comments:

got my gear, got on more sunscreen, peed quick (first and only of the day) and was ready for the pain. crap.
Run
  • 4h 32m 52s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

So my best guess here is that a solid run base plays as irresistable force conceptually and my obnoxious sweat rate/heat problems is unmovable object? whatever the case, there is plenty of good and bad, but one thing i know if this was a slugfest. this really starts with the choice to race boston in april vs just going and doing the race. i have put in a ton of miles on the run and seen my avg training pace go down, threw down some PRs here and there, just overall built up a pretty solid run. With this, I truly believe a 330 or thereabouts would be possible. cripes, i ran a 255 24 miler in training, nothing before it with swim or bike and a lot cooler. despite the forecast, i kept telling myself i had seen some progress in running in hot conditions, which is somewhat true. is 330 a stretch in an IM? sure. is it a stretch in the hottest temps by far i ever ran a mary? eh, more than likely, but lets just start running easy to see how the bike cramps hold up, find a pace and go with it.

the good news is that there seemed to be no ill effects cramp wise (yet) from the bike and i was able to get the legs moving pretty ok. i had already cut back my expecations on pace and decided if i could just stay around 8s i would be ok. ha! i dont have a solid split on the first mile cuz i was dinking around with the garmin and cant recall when it was started but 2-4 were 811 823 and 859 respectively. things kept slipping away and the sun seemed even hotter. the cloud cover from 07 was really nowhere in sight and everyone was being baked alive. lots of folks were already doing run walk. i cant recall how aggressively i was drinking (or not drinking) but by mile 8 or so, i was starting to mix in more walk with the run. By mile 10, it seemed like my gut didnt want to take in anymore anything. Knowing that stopping nutritionally was not an option, i went into self preservation mode.

i cant admit that this was all smart racing as there was some hissy fit in there too, pissed about how there was still 16 miles and how the wheels were already off the cart. sub 11 wasnt going to happen. it didnt take too long to get over it and come up with another plan, since everything rarely goes all well in these races and its a long day. i started to tell myself that this would be a glowstick race for me and i would see what its like to finish at night. its not that i no longer cared, its really that i didnt seem able to fathom going the rest of the way knowing how bad things have gotten with dehydration in other races. still, having seen how some pros recover after having to take breaks on tv and what not, i figured lets just be patient. it was also here i decided to give cola a shot too at the aid station and was now on a regimen of gatorade, water and cola at ever stop.

i was heading back towards town and saw schmize heading out on his second loop. i took my finger and cut it across my throat to show i was done and i think he laughed and mentioned how he was suffering too. i kept on walk mode and although i am not against it in races and have used it, walking this far and this long at a stretch i did feel a bit ashamed. to the spectator, it just felt like i was cheating them. i knew i was doing the right thing, but you could tell at that point that you were just another walking dude, or at least that was how it seemed. just interesting to be in that position and maybe my perception was off, but it seemed like i was getting less love.

heading back into state street, i came upon birkie and he was hurting bad too. i asked if he wanted some company and walked with him for a bit. he said he didnt want to slow me down but at this point, i was just hoping to stay out of the med tent myself. back around the capitol, i tried to run again and the newfound outer knee cramp on the bike kicked me in the azz big time after about 5 steps. stick a fork in me, i am done. just kept moving and then Lara and the girls were at the capitol right before the special needs station (i still had to cross the mat for my first loop). i explained that it was going to be a long night and i would probably be walking the rest of the way as i couldnt fathom anything changing my situation. i kissed her and the girls and ambled down to the turnaround, with hundreds of witnesses watching some poor slug walking his way down to start his second loop. i hit the mat and dont know what it was, but i was not going to accept throwing in the towel. the mat beeped and i started gingerly running out, 13.1 to go. Lara and the girls were still in the same place awaiting my return and she just said to me something like 'what do you think you are doing?'. I think i just shrugged. Alright, lets finish this out.

For as crappy as things were going vs hopes and expectations at the best case scenario, I tried to keep as good an attitude as possible. Shit doesnt always go your way and the tropics aint my gig. Just keep moving, keep hydrating, keep things in perspective. It is our dumbasses who sign up for this, it is us who are priveleged enough to do this with our free time and disposable income. Get some real problems and then feel sorry for yourself bubba. I saw Deanna waving the donkey flag and she was going to high five me. I had been putting sponges in my top to keep cool but it looked like boobies so i tried to just into her hand with my sponge boobie. my calves cramped up pretty good at that but the guy behind me got a kick out of it and cant remember what Deanna said or did cuz the freaking pain in the calves. i was also running for a bit with my right arm almost fully extended down cuz that was feeling screwed too. Just kept focused on churning out what i could, eating and drinking and a salt cap here and there. Saw a bunch of donks on the run which made it fun to encourage each other. Eventually i caught up to 1sttimetri and walked with him a bit by the lake on the way back, little running when we could. I had turned off the sense of urgency a bit and decided to enjoy the experience more, though physically things werent quite there yet. cramps kept coming and going, gut was working ok now and i think it was the coke that did the trick.

i think it was around the mile 21 marker i saw force heading back from the weird turnaround to nowhere with all the inspirational signs and i shouted out something about him being a stud and soon to be an ironman. around this time, it seems like somebody turned down the thermostat, the gut was ok and the legs felt like running a bit. there were only four miles to go. so lets bring it home. i was able to kick it into 9s but still hit the tables for drinks. i paid for all this crap right? also had my head down around camp randall and saw a huge DTFU that the crew put out in the AM. Laughed and kinda said 'okey dokey' to myself so thanks for the great chalking folks, it at least worked for this guy! kept churning away, just a bit more to go. it was around mile 25 that i caught up to force and checked in how he was doing. he was looking strong and ready to pick up his IM medal. i got a little bit ahead of him and BAM!!! my left quad seized up. Damn! I cant catch a break. Walk it out, change stride yet again to keep moving. Got back up to speed again, just two more corners and about 150 yards to go...POW!!!! Fock!!! Same hammy. Somebody watching was like 'you ok"' and i nodded and readjusted. No, it wasnt going to be a strong finish, but if you cant finish strong, do the robot. So I did some kind of pseudo cramped up robot at the finish to celebrate getting number two in the books. Hot damn!

splits are screwy cuz of when i hit the garmin and when i stopped it but fwiw:
952 811 823 859 949 928 919 952 937 1116 1340 1709 1545
1037 1143 1009 1107 1104 1001 1141 1153 847 925 900 847

i was apparently wrong about being able to run in heat and getting better with it, though i generally havent run right after biking like a dumbass, so work on pacing in the bike and still try and figure out if there is any hope of ever being able to perform in anything over 75 for a longer duration. I am guessing i am pretty much screwed and need to cut back pace waaaaaaaay back when its this warm. I am still giving this an average cuz i didnt puss out and kept to the bigger picture vs being overly woe is me. Worst marathon for me time wise, but still ranks ahead of Madison and Vegas for me as far as showing some balls unlike those where i folded up the tents once meltdown hit.
Post race
Warm down:

Bscharff caught my azz and passed me off to the Mrs and the older two kiddos. Also got a hug from Maggyruth who was catching and Force followed up right after me at the finish which is nice cuz a lot o miles with him this past year. Ate some pizza but the pepperoni felt like acid on my throat so kept walking around and hit Walgreens for some chocolate milk and oj. Just kept waking!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Family curse of heavy sweating passed down through the generations that heat teams up with to steal the soul out of my body, lack of discipline on the bike, more relaxed race prep on details vs first IM. I wont say relaxed, but my nutrion schedule wasnt as clockwork as it was the first go around (which at 70 and overcast had me peeing all over Madison for that race. oh well). I am a mixed bag with this race. Like I said i didnt feel happy with 07 cuz i felt i left stuff in the tank. The heat was a big variable and a few possible mistakes (and i say possible only because i still wanted to hit under 11 and couldnt just dawdle) but i had to earn this one on all fronts, so i am happy with it. i have already graduated from never again from yesterday, to well maybe this AM to analyzing what mistakes to correct for the next one. That will not be for a while though as its time to watch my kids grow up. Halfs and lower will be my career for a while, so i am happy this race gave me enough to be happy and pissed off about in equal amounts.

Event comments:

Awesome venue, awesome crowds, volunteers, etc, etc. having all the donks race too was a great treat and I am blessed to know all of ya! This race and the community support are well worth the cost, etc, etc.

Last updated: 2008-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:25 | 4224 yards | 01m / 100yards
Age Group: 246/356
Overall: 1590/2406
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion full
Course: 2x rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:54:02 | 112 miles | 18.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 101/356
Overall: 571/2406
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: lollipop stick out to Verona and 2x around the loop. somewhat hilly course.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:32:52 | 26.2 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 89/356
Overall: 581/2406
Performance: Average
Course: 2x capitol to state street to lake mendota. lots of crowd support, good times!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-14 9:32 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2009-09-14 9:52 PM
in reply to: #2406315

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waukesha
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
!eoJ troper ecar taerG
2009-09-14 10:05 PM

User image

Elite
Denver

Best race report I've read so far!

2009-09-15 7:42 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Really good race report, so sarcastic and humorous. Nice job!
2009-09-15 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Great race report! You really drew me in, and I felt like I was right inside your head, during the whole race. I'm sorry that is wasnt' the race that we all know you are capable of. I'm glad you were able to refocus, and re-prioritize, and still find a way to enjoy your day, despite being in pain. You will settle your score with Ironman, and IM will be your b$tch.
2009-09-15 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Way to race like the motto says: stubborn and steady.  Sure hissy fits are more glamorous, but you should be very proud of how you finished this one out.

2009-09-15 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Great race Head Donk! I was at mile 6/19 turnaround on State Street and said hi to you a couple times but I think you were kind of like `Who the eff is this guy!?' You looked good, much better than most at that point -- not sure if that's any help or not. Anyway great race out there and way to get No. 2 in the books! The robot? Awesome.
2009-09-15 9:21 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I didn't see the Diva, but then again, it was long time gone when you caught up to me.

You still had some (in my eyes) some sweet splits in there!  I would LOF to have a sub-9, or sh1t, a sub-10 in there!

The subtle humor is too dang funny.  Glad you kept your spirits up, and had fun with the race, especially the sponge bewbies!

Thanks, Joe, for spending the time with me and keeping our minds alive for that stretch.

EEEEEEAAAAAAWWWWWsome job on a brutal day!  I don't mind the heat as much, but it sure would have helped many of us if it was 5 - 10 degrees cooler.

JOE SZATMARY - YOU. ARE. AN. IRONMAN!!!  (again)

2009-09-15 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison-ish, Wisconsin
Great job joe.  I gave you an EEAAAWWW at the kohl center and I think you looked at me like you looked at 2goggs.

At any rate nice job showing us how to DTFU!
2009-09-15 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
----
Great job getting 'er done.  You definitely made me laugh with the slit throat thing.  Your sarcasm and wit is just fabulous.  Not just b/c its funny, but b/c you put hit the nail right on the thread with many of the same things I went through. 

Way to fight the demons and get it done.  One of the funniest signs I saw out there was, "My husband is a two-timer!"  Now Lara can say that, as well.

Glad to have raced with you.
2009-09-15 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Nice job pounding it out Joe!!!

...thats what she said.

2009-09-15 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Donkus Maximus, you are my hero.

No seriously, though, if your race didn't exemplify the inner stubborn donkey we all aspire to call upon, then I don't know what does. Congrats on being a "two timer" (saw the same sign Schmize did).

Don't believe for a moment that I wasn't trying my damnest to keep you from catching me, starting all the way back at the 8ish mile mark ("uh oh, there he is, it's only a matter of time till that focker reels me in"), to just before the second State Street turn-around ("oh, good, there he is walking with Birkie, I'll put some time into his azz"), to the 21-22 mile mark ("uh oh, he's running again") to the pinch in the azz you gave me at the 25 mile mark (ouch, BTW), to the hammy cramp I saw you get just before the final turn onto State Street ("here's a chance to catch him") to standing in line at the finisher's picture spot ("dang too late").

Had alot of fun (and pain) training with you this last year. It was a heck of a journey from standing outside that Monday AM in the cold and rain one year ago to a hundo around Lake Geneva and a 3xHoNB pain fest to the turtle incident in "donka" to the race on Sunday. Thanks for the occasional inspire and your words of hard-fought wisdom. Sorry, I have to stop now, I'm getting a bit teary-eyed, sniff,...good job, Joe.
2009-09-15 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
you definitely put the 'DTFU' in 'DFTU' Joe...   Awesome job gutting it out under difficult conditions...  and great RR...

We saw you walking in towards the halfway turn around... and knew you must be hurting...  was great then seeing you come by after the turn running...!!!

and it was awesome seeing you come across the finish line...!!!  i look forward to the day i can do likewise...  also, its been great following your training leading up to the race...  the commitment you've shown...  and the way you've pushed yourself through your training this past year (Boston and the IM) has really been inspirational to watch...  and occasionally be a part of...  so i was really anxious to see you go out there and crush it at IMMoo...  and considering the heat... and all the issues you had on the bike and run... a 12:05 is d@mn solid Joe...!!!  even if the race didnt go as you would have liked that was a stellar effort nonetheless...!!!  Congrats Mr. Ironman (again)...!!!!

on a personal note...  i wanted to thank you as well...  being able to tag along occasionally during your preparation for Boston and IMWI you've had a huge impact on what i've been able to accomplish this year...  those first couple of runs earlier this year when you dragged my a$$ around the hills of new berlin...  i thought i was going to die... but they were huge confidence builders for me to get out... go longer... and push the pace...  the one bike out in new berlin...  again, it crushed me and was the longest bike at the time i had ever done at the time...  but was huge for my training into SOR...  and the swims out in minnedonka really helped me in my dealing with my crazy lake swimming phobia (however, reading your recent blog about whatever that monster is living in there isnt helping)...  and I'm sure there are many others on here that you've similarly helped push... and make better along the way along the way...  so thank you o' donkey master...!!!

But once again...  regarding your race...  Congrats and awesome job Joe...  keep up your stellar-ness...!!!!
2009-09-15 11:39 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Props on battling the thought demons the whole day. 

At CdA, one of the guys ahead of me dropped his E-caps in transition.  I picked 'em up and tried to get him, but no luck.  While it wasn't a sunny, hot, day, I'm sure it was definitely sand in his gears to not have the caps. 

2009-09-15 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI

Awesome race, Donk Master.  You are the epitomy of DTFU!!!!

2009-09-15 12:16 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

"Just keep moving, keep hydrating, keep things in perspective. It is our dumbasses who sign up for this, it is us who are priveleged enough to do this with our free time and disposable income. Get some real problems and then feel sorry for yourself bubba."

This is one of the smartest things I've ever read on BT!  Way to hang in there and tough it out. When's the next one?

2009-09-15 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Love the race report...so honest....

Tough day out there...but so happy you stuck it out! I was out there cheering for all the donkeys I saw....so I'm sure I cheered for you at some point!

So proud of all the BT'ers!! Nice work!!

2009-09-15 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waukesha

Awesome job Joe!  It was great seeing you out there and even getting passed by you twice! (I am not sure how that happened but at least I held you off until the run!

It seems like forever ago when I first met up with you and the other Donks early in the morning for a cold as , ride in the rain.  Thanks for pushing me to go harder on the hills and for helping to keep all of us going!

You show us all how to keep pushing ahead!

2009-09-15 2:08 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
All hail Chief Donkalonkadingdonk! He is Donk who make IM his b!tch!

Sorry your race didn't go down as you'd hoped and planned but the fact that you kept moving through all the crap makes you an even more awe-inspiring IM. Most mortals would have shut it down long before the finish.
2009-09-15 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
I am still waiting to hear if you passed your prostate exam  Too funny.  Great race report.  You get an A+ for the day.  Made me feel like I was right there with you instead of drinking vodka and mike's hard lemonades all day  Quite impressive time especially if you walked as much as you say you did.  Job well done Sensei.  Congrats on number 2, well I mean your second medal.
2009-09-15 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Congrats, great race and even better race report. I can only hope that I will have a similar sense of humor sometime after I finish an IM race. It was nice to see you at the dinner and out on the course.

2009-09-15 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
At some point during some race, this race report will help me cross the finish line when thinking of throwing in the towel. Thanks for inspiring us, Joe, with large helpings of both guts and glory.
2009-09-15 7:34 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Ha- you be funny

Nice job Joe!

2009-09-16 3:20 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

solid run base plays as irresistable force conceptually and my obnoxious sweat rate/heat problems is unmovable object?

Well put. Great race and phenomenal training leading up to it.  Fun to watch you kickin it all year, week after week.

2009-09-16 8:25 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven

way to go 2 timer!!  Nice Race and Donkey Attitude - I think we showed Madison the DTFU!!  I laughed and teared over your report.  It really hit home for all of us.  I lost my endurolytes in 2007 at mile 80.  I remember the cramping pain then.  I learned the lesson and did stack extras everywhere.

Congrats

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  

of 2