United States
TNT productions
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 53s
Overall Rank = 1714/3938
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 25/73
Pre-race routine:

Took a taxi to the race site with Sharon and Jeff who shared the cab with us. He spilled coffee on the cab driver which seemed like an ominous start to the day. It wasn't. Set up transition then got in line for the porta potties. Fortunately they didn't run out of tp like last year.
Event warmup:

None. Sat around with everyone else waiting for my 8:30 start with the old men.
Swim
  • 32m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Poor start. We got in the water and the gun went off before I got into position. The first few hundred yards I started to panic, don't know why but I started having doubts about even finishing the swim. All bad thoughts were coming into my head - my wetsuit is too tight, I can't swim this far, etc. I had to stop and breast stroke about 5 times before feeling more comfortable. I felt like a beginner out there. I finally talked myself out of being such a wimp. Once I got going the swim was fine. Wandered off line a couple of times due to the lack of buoys on the return trip from the bridge.
What would you do differently?:

Don't be such a wimp.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Left leg cramped up coming out of the water. Had trouble getting my wetsuit off my right foot.

More Pam on my legs.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 46s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Great bike. I felt really strong considering my lack of training the last few weeks. A few congested areas but it wasn't as bad as I expected. A couple of people swerved in front of me. I caught up to Sharon (I thought) at about mile 4 and said "Hey cutie". It wasn't her though!! My family was at mile 10/20 cheering for me so that was a big boost.

Make sure it is Sharon before saying Hi Cutie.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

As I was getting off my bike some guy pulled up right next to me and my leg hit him as I was dismounting. I almost fell and my shoe fell off my bike. As I was coming over the curb I dropped the shoe and almost fell. The guy didn't even apologize. He did help me pick up my shoe but I would have appreciated some space.

Nothing.
Run
  • 58m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Kept up a steady pace and felt pretty good. My goal was 10 min per mile and I did around 9:29 so I was happy.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

None. My family was at the end so we stood around talking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training the past few weeks.

Event comments:

Too many people for this course. They need to spread out the waves to keep the bike course less crowded. PBJ's aren't good post race food. I didn't see much else. I think they could have done better. Last year they had pizza and subs. This year basically nothing.

Last updated: 2009-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/73
Overall: 0/3938
Performance: Below average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:46 | 24.85 miles | 19.17 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: beautiful course out of the city on Rock Creek Parkway, then on Canal Road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:47 | 06.21 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-09-14 9:46 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2009-09-15 12:03 AM
in reply to: #2406336

, Alabama
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon

I thought you did a great job!  You also really helped inspire me to keep going when I saw you on the bike and run!

Sharon

2009-09-15 7:15 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
There was something about the start of that swim!! I had a similar experience - a few moments of panic and difficulty breathing, and a dizzy, sea-sick feeling I've never experienced in an OW swim befrore. It was honestly the worst swim I've had in ages (maybe ever!). A friend who did the race actually swam to the shore and almost dropped out. Fortunately for him, a good samaritan saw him, and coaxed him back into the water and he finished the race. Maybe it was just the lack of time to get adjusted to being in the water.... for me, anyway, the swim just SUCKED!! I agree spacing the waves further would have helped immensely, both on the swim and the bike. I guess if they had the dual swim courses they could have done that, but with the single swim course, there just wasn't time.
2009-09-15 7:16 AM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Nice job! your family had a sign for you?  I saw a sign that had your last name and I was wondering if you were both here doing the race.  Way to stay in the game during the swim. 
2009-09-15 11:05 AM

User image

Regular
Great job on your race! I fight with that panic in the water all the time, and it always catches me off guard (swimming is my strongest of the 3 events). Glad you talked it down. So great your family was there to cheer you on. Congratulations!
2009-09-15 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2406516

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
I forgot to put in my report that you inspired me, especially when I saw you on the run catching up to me!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed