General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 40-something and coming back after long hiatus Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-01 8:06 AM

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: 40-something and coming back after long hiatus
As the subject line indicates, I am finally coming back to the sport, after years of being "too busy", e.g. grad school, moving cross country, starting my own business, to pursue it. But now the excuses are gone, and I'm ready to go for it! Here are my issues: I am in my mid-40's and seem to have problems with my knees mainly when I bike. Also, I am wondering if anyone knows of any good triathlon trainers or training programs in the Twin Cities of Minnesota--especially anything geared toward older beginners.

Thanks.

Jenniferlea

2003-09-01 8:49 AM
in reply to: #614

User image

Champion
Subject: welcome back!

on training programs, the site has a 'getting started' section and a 'sprint program'.  as far as the grumbling knees?  maybe they r just getting used to this OR bad bike fit OR pushing big gears.  of course u r already familiar with the sport so your probably doing things correctly.  ALSO check out clubs in your area for a lot of help.

transformational consultant? sounds cool.  i checked out your site.  if u would ever like to contribute on topics such as 'motivation', 'making that change' or 'getting out the door' then i would love to feature u and your site.  of course i am sure u r plenty busy, busy, busy!!!

we r here for your ?'s.  feel free to offer any insight from your past experiences to others!

welcome

2003-09-01 6:35 PM
in reply to: #614

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: 40-something and coming back after long hiatus
Tell us a little about your past experience in tri's. Welcome back to the sport!

Still Tri'n
Michael

Edited by Michael 2003-09-01 6:36 PM
2003-09-02 9:55 AM
in reply to: #619

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Michael:

Well...my past experience was pretty minor--I know some of you guys do this totally balls out. I was just happy to be completing short course triathlons--I participated in a handful over a couple of years' time about 15 years ago. As for my bike fit, I have never gotten that "professional" about it--I just rode the bike I had (I was also a very very penniless professional musician and no way could I afford a good bike). Now, I'm considering buying a new bike and investing some money, but I don't know really where to turn for unbiased advice about what bike would be the best for me, etc.

Thanks for your interest in helping me. I am pretty humbled by the stories and stuff I see here--I'm just a middle aged woman who is trying to get back into shape. I would be happy to be able to complete a short course by next spring. I currently only run-walk about 3 miles 3-4 days/week(my weakest event for sure). I am however a past competitive swimmer, and can easily do the swim part of it -- I also have my own swimming pool so I can do 1/4 mile several times a week in laps. And the bike...I do bike but know I need a new one.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Jenniferlea
2003-09-02 5:39 PM
in reply to: #626

User image

Central Louisiana

Well, some of us have gotten addicted to the sport, but for me a good race is crossing the finish line no matter what the distance or time.

If you are looking for a bike, I would visit several of the local bike shops and see if there is one that you feel comfortable dealing with. I think if you decide, how much you want to spend, and what you want the bike to do for you, they can point you in the right direction. I also feel that you will benefit greatly from being fit to your bike.

This article may be a great resource for you
http://www.triathletepro.com/cbike.html

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-09-03 4:55 PM
in reply to: #633

Regular
Springfield, Ohio
Amen to the good race definition.
What is this about being an older beginner in the mid 40s? That's what I am. The mid 40s, but I don't consider myself an "older" beginner. Age is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Tri'ing to keep up,
Neil

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 40-something and coming back after long hiatus Rss Feed