Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 05m 58s
Overall Rank = 65/128
Age Group = M25/29
Age Group Rank = 5/11
Pre-race routine:

Arrived to race just as the transition area opened. Racked my bike and layed out everything for T1 and T2. Put my IPod on and then loaded my bike with bottles and organized my transitions to be laid out for maximum efficiency. Went out and strectched a little bit then came back to transition and double checked everything.
Event warmup:

Swam a little along shore, rested my body and tried to keep my heart rate down.
Swim
  • 39m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well on the out portion. Hung with the back of the lead back up to the turnaround and had a split time of 17 mins and was very happy with time so far. On the return I got dropped and was swimming by myself, had trouble keeping a line and actually started to swim towards the swimmers still swimming out. Used breaststroke a few times to work on sighting. Definately could have lowered my swim time by keeping a good line. Breathing went well entire race. Not too many collisions on way out.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on sighting so I don't swim extra distances.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Transition went well, was a little disoriented when I got out of the water. Lost my goggles and swim cap while I took off the top portion of my wetsuit.

Don't lose googles and swim cap
Bike
  • 3h 01m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike portion was my strongpoint and I wanted to put out a sub 3 hour ride. Hit a steep hill bout a mile in and tried to push myself up that. Was completely dead after hill. Spent next few miles recovering from swim and first hill on the bike. After that I maintained a good bike ride. Wanted to be in 19-20 mph range. Hydration went well, but I could not put down any powerbars. I will never eat a powerbar again on a bike ride, not really sure why I tried anyway. Rode with a big group for about 10-15 miles which helped to conserve some energy. Final 5 miles of ride I rode with another guy and we kinda just talked bout triathlons and football as we headed back to transition.

Goal of offseason to get tri bike. While biking if I decide to have a conversation I should still focus on my cadence and speed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Best transition of the day and I believe 13th best of the race. Went really smooth, racked bike, put shoes on, grabbed nutrition and visor, ran out.

Need to work on not running at such a high pace as I start run portion.
Run
  • 2h 20m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to do the run in 1:45. I knew this would be very hard with the hills and I was quickly forced to walking dring the first large hill. Regrouped and refocused and decided that walking up hills was just going to happen and that I need to hit aid stations to keep cool and hydrated. Run pace while running was good no complaints, just that the hills took way too much out of my legs. I probably could have ran a little faster time but the hills were so defeating and I was just focused on conserving energy for flats to be able to run. maybe spent too much time walking through aid stations.

Train harder on hills, prepare myself for running.
Post race
Warm down:

Meet up with family friends and took pictures. Talked about race quickly, packed stuff and drove back to go ole Milwaukee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would say my training through the season is what mainly limited my ability to have a faster time, along with not having many open water swims thus having to work on my sighting. Need to work on run strength especially up hills. Spend more time training as well. This was also my first tri so it was a learning experience for the most part.

Last updated: 2009-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:11 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 58/128
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Snergie
Course: 1.2 mile out and back course with 4 bouys. Swam east towards sun then returned back west.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:01:11 | 56 miles | 18.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 55/128
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Course had lots of turns with small rollers mixed in. No complaints except train tracks forced you to slow down as to not puncture a tire or lose water bottles.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:20:49 | 13.1 miles | 10m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 76/128
Performance: Below average
Course: Extremely hilly with about 4400 feet of elevation
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-15 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Lake Geneva Triathlon

2009-09-17 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2406791

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Subject: RE: Lake Geneva Triathlon
congrats on your first HIM...!!!  sounds like it was a pretty tough course...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon Rss Feed