General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nation's 2009 Swim Course - HELP! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-15 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Subject: Nation's 2009 Swim Course - HELP!
Two days later I'm still confused and need your help:

I made an error not previewing the swim course. I did see the map in the race packet and had that in my head. Realized when I got in the water that I did not know which sections of the bridge to swim through and what the other side would look like. The guy next to me said to swim under the far right section on the way up and then the third section on the way back. I followed swimmers there, but it looked like everyone was to my left.

Next, based off of the race map, I expected 2 turn buoys to make a rectangle north of the bridge, but I just saw one that basically triangulated with the bridge passages. Between glare, goggle fog and chaos of the bodies I felt like I swam waaay off line. I was never the furthest right, but darn close to it.

What was the most direct line to take?
Was the line under the second section of the bridge?
Did I miss a turn buoy north of the bridge (with 100s of others?)

Edited by Akrakowski 2009-09-15 9:04 AM

2009-09-15 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2406868

Subject: RE: Nation's 2009 Swim Course - HELP!
I am pretty sure there was just one turn bouy, and, from what I was told, we went under the arch second from the right on the way out, and third from the right on the way back.  I agree that two turn bouys in a rectangular fashion would have been better, and more akin to the course described in the map.

It was incredibly hard to see out there with the murkey water and the glare.  Even lifting my head up to sight, I could hardly see anything.

Marie
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nation's 2009 Swim Course - HELP! Rss Feed