United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 04m 48s
Overall Rank = 1480/2397
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 239/356
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00. Quickly dressed, packed up remaining nutrition for the day and drove up to Madison. Ate a couple of muffins and drank a bottle of airborne. Emotions were all over the board, from nausea, to calm, to fighting off tears. Once at the terrace I dropped off special needs bags, stopped at the bike, dropped off nutrition, aired up the tires, and attempted to walk away. I think I turned back three times and just looked at Wilson trying to remember what I forgot.

Finally left and walked through the transition bag rooms, didn't open the bags, just verified they were still there. This was one of my fears, coming into T1 or T2 and having my bags missing.

After that I tried to find a quiet relaxing place. It was only 5:30. The terrace was a madhouse, so I headed down to the lakefront. Ran into a couple of friends, met up with the family, one last stop at the porta potty (I think my 5th of the morning, nerves are a wonderful thing) and it's time to go, finally.

Event warmup:

Got in the water with about 15 minutes to go. After the pros went off I left the comfort of the standing depth water and headed out to the start area to tread water.
Swim
  • 1h 32m
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up about half way between the ski ramp and shore, maybe 10 people back, adjusted position a couple of times when it got to crowded for my comfort level. Without much warning the cannon went off, I was expecting a countdown or something, but it didn't happen, just boom, and we were off.

Holy crap, I'm doing an ironman swim. This thought/emotion was going through me the entire swim. I was elated. The start was/is everything you'd expect. I didn't take any serious blows, but my right eye got kicked four or five times. I was regularly pushed, swam into, swam over, etc. Nothing excessive or violent, but it was rough.

I don't remember a whole lot about the swim, it went by so fast, I was really enjoying it. Swam wide the entire time, cut in fairly close to the turn buoys, then went wide again. Every once in a while I'd catch a glimpse of the announcer or hear the crowd. Heard "sweet emotion" by Aerosmith as I was starting the second loop.

Somewhere mid swim my stomach started to not be real happy. Perhaps it was my effort to drink the lake dry, I don't know. Being surrounded by swimmers, the previously calm lake had an odd irregular chop, I had some trouble getting clean breaths through much of the swim and drank a lot of water. Well hydrated I was.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing, except the water consumption part. If I could swim in a straight line closer to the buoys I might have gone faster, but the line I took gave me a pretty clean easy swim after the first 400-500 yards. And seeing that my pace was faster than any of my half iron swims (Racine excluded), I have absolutely no complaints.
Transition 1
  • 07m 59s
Comments:

I continue to excel at changing clothes. T1 and T2 were my best events relative to the field, T1 - 123/339 age group, 644/2397 overall.

When I saw the clock coming out of the water I was absolutely thrilled. Managed to get out of the water without issue and made my way to the wetsuit strippers. I think I passed Amy Jo here, but everything was such a blur. The wetsuit stripper knew me, but I had/have absolutely no idea who it was. I'm sorry, I just surrived an Ironman swim, and did it faster than I thought was really realistic, nothing was fully registering with me at this point.

Made my way up to the terrace, grabbed my bag, and headed into the changing room. The mens changing room is not a pretty sight. Got in, got out, and tried not to look around.

Carried my shoes and made my way through the bike racks to a volunteer waiting with my bike. I promptly told him "That's not my bike." Did I mention I was having fun? I don't know that I've ever seen a grown man become so flustered so quickly, but he took it really well.

Made my way to just shy of the dismount line before putting my shoes on. Let's go for a ride.

I would have stopped for sunscreen. I have two nice sunburn stripes on my back. The top I raced in is cut a little differently then anything else I've worn regularly. Ouch.
Bike
  • 6h 32m 11s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm doing a feaking Ironman. Couldn't have wiped the smile off my face. I was having so much fun. Ride out to Verona and the first loop absolutely flew by. Rode in the aerobars through the flats and downhills. Sat up and put my hands in the elbow cups and just spun easy up all the hills. Many commented that it looked like I was just out for an easy sunday ride. I was.

Second loop was much of the same. The three b@tch hills took some effort to get up this time, but it was still easier than any training ride on the course. Stomach continued to be unhappy with me, but it was tolerable.

The ride back to Madison was more difficult. A slight wind had picked up and we were now riding into it. It was also pretty warm by this point. It hadn't really bothered me, but in combination with the wind, and the 100 miles I'd already gone, I was now ready to get off the bike.

Tina's hill was my low point on the course. That hill is never mentioned when discussing the course, but it's a real bear 100+ miles into a ride. Once up that the rest of the ride in was easy again. Riding up the helix was a great feeling.

I really don't know. I had so much fun out there. I could have backed off some, but I never really felt like I was going very hard. Watched my heartrate and went off that.
Transition 2
  • 05m 59s
Comments:

Like T1, T2 was one of my better events relative to the field, 105/356 and 843/2307. 35+ years of getting dressed myself is finally paying off.

Swung a leg over my bike at the top of the helix and coasted to the bike catchers. Grabbed my garmin and ran into the terrace. My friend Wade was volunteering in the T2 bag room, he grabbed my transition bag and got a huge hug (I'm not a hugger), that's how happy I still was.

The faces in T2 weren't nearly as fresh and happy as they were in T1. Got in, got out.

Nothing, I did stop for sunscreen this time, but the damage was done.
Run
  • 5h 46m 41s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

And now Robert's race falls apart. As usual, any stomach issues I have get exponentially magnified by running. I headed out of T2 at an easy pace and it wasn't good. Made it to the first aid station and walked through that. Ran down State and Henry, made the turn onto Dayton and ran maybe another block. I wanted to puke, seriously needed to puke. The heat finally hit me full bore and the stomach wasn't having anything to do with this running bullsh#t.

So I started walking, thinking it was a long race, if I can get my stomach to settle, I'll be able to start running again and hopefully salvage the run. So I walked, and I ate and I drank, nothing was helping. Oranges, grapes, coke, water, ice. GE has never settled with me, so I ignored that. I had been chewing tums on and off since starting the bike and had a bag with me so I tried those as well.

Tried running again at Camp Randall, made it about half way around. Didn't try again until the downhill at Observatory, was easier than walking. By this point I was good and pissed off. I didn't train all year to walk my way through Ironman. I still wanted to puke, half wanted to quit, and definitely didn't feel good about the effort.

I don't remember when but the stomach finally started to come around, but by the time it had, the walking had caused major blisters on both feet. Walking was tolerable, running was not. On the second lap I only ran the first downhill on state and observatory again.

Somewhere on the return leg of the second lap, my attitude came back around. I realized I can actually walk pretty darn fast and I wasn't looking at a 7 hour death march. Started talking more with the spectators and volunteers and I think the smile more or less returned. Dumped a cup of water over my sons head at one point, which earned a pretty good laugh from the crowd on Henry.

Hardest part of the race for me was the last 2-3 miles, not because of how I felt, but because I was watching so many people heading out for there second loop. I knew how they felt, and I knew how difficult (if not impossible) it was going to be for many of them to make the cutoff. It was inspiring to see them head out and not give up, but it was really hard to watch.

At the last aid station I grabbed one last cup of water, needed to fix my hair for the finish :) There hadn't been anyone behind me, but just before I made the turn onto MLK I noticed a runner coming in from behind. So I ran. The crowd was great, I high fived a bunch, at one point (unknowingly) knocking my garmim off its wrist strap and into the street. Tossed my glow stick into the crowd and crossed the line. Awesome feeling.

I initially felt pretty bad about my run. After looking at some numbers I'm coming around. I had what I consider an awesome swim, finished 304/356 in my age group and 1968/2397 overall. My cr@ptastic run yielded me a 251/356 age group rank and a 1601/2397 overall rank.

That either says something about my swimming ability or the difficulty of an ironman run. You decide.

Under the circumstances, I don't know what I could have done.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some pictures taken (thanks Craig) walked around. Drank some water. That's about it. Hung out on the course until midnight cheering runners in. What an experience.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, genetics, cheeseburgers, french fries, pizza, doughnuts.....

Event comments:

My only complaint, large portions of the run course are really, really dark, can't see the trail in front of you dark. When you know that maybe 1,000 atheletes will be out after nightfall after a gruelling day, lighting up the course might not be a bad idea.

Last updated: 2009-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:32:00 | 4224 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 304/356
Overall: 1968/2397
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:59
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:32:11 | 112 miles | 17.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 220/356
Overall: 1278/2397
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:46:41 | 26.2 miles | 13m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 251/356
Overall: 1601/2397
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-15 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2009-09-15 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2407085

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin

You looked like hell when you finished

That means you put out an awesome effort on a tough day. Thanks again for training with AJ all summer. She would not have made it through without your help.

I have some great pictures of you and the family at the finish- I'll try to get them posted tonight.

Robert...You are an Ironman!!

2009-09-15 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Madison

Great job Robert!  Saw you at the start of your run and then again at the finish line when you were offically an IRONMAN!  You did it!

2009-09-15 2:13 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

GREAT JOB, ROBERT!!

Your swim really came along, too!!

I LAFFED at the "35+ years of dressing myself...".

CONGRATULATIONS, IRONMAN!!

2009-09-15 2:28 PM

Great job and entertaining report.  Congrats Ironman!!
2009-09-16 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison-ish, Wisconsin
Nice job robert!  It was awesome to walk you over to the donks!

2009-09-16 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Great job
2009-09-17 6:20 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Nicely done race and report.  Congrats, Ironman!
2009-09-17 6:26 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job!  The fact that you drank that awful lake water and finished with a smile (and stomach ache) is amazing!
2009-09-17 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2411011

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Great race report - you crack me up. And great job out there.
2009-09-17 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Madison
What she said^^^

One of the most amusing race reports I've read. 

2009-09-17 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past

Congratulations, you stubborn donkey, you are an Ironman!

Would have paid money to see the bike handler's face...I hope you let him dangle for a little while. I'll bet that's a story he tells forever.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed