World Triathlon Corporation / Trisport North
21C / 70F
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 18m 35s
Overall Rank = 1282/1350
Age Group = 55 - 59
Age Group Rank = 38/40
Pre-race routine:

Had a good nights sleep. The alarm woke me up at 4:30. Got up and did my usual morning SS&S. Had a bowl of oatmeal and juice. Prepared my nutrition for the day. We loaded up everything and my wife drove me to the airport parking site to catch the bus into the transition area. It was still dark when I got to where I had parked my bike. I got body marked and wandered around the transition area for a bit. Went over to look at the elite transition area. I went back and set up my transition gear, put my hydration bottles onto the bike. I must admit that my nerves weren't bad at all.
Event warmup:

I walked and did some high knee sprinting to warm up, stretched and talked to other race competitors. Put on my wetsuit, only the botom postions and headeddown to the lake at about 7:30 am. We had a bout a 5/600 m walk to the swim start. Once there I finished putting on the wetsuit and went out for a warm up swim. Kept it short as I was feeling very good in the water. Back onto the beach and watch the pros and first 7 waves go. Actually the people in my wave watched the pro mena nd women coming out of the water before we even queued for our swim. They were fast!
Swim
  • 43m 49s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was a gorgeous day for the swim. A little overcast at first but the sun broke through the clouds just before we went into the water. We were about calf deep into the water. At the horn I ran a couple of steps and dolphined in and out a couple of times before hitting my stroke. One of the lenses on my goggles got water in it so I had a little trouble sighting. Snuck in behind a swimmer for a while and drafted. I started on the far left side and seemd to stay that way until we rounded the last buoy coming home. when I was watching I notice that I seemed to be quite a ways out from the majority of the other swimmers. I guess started wide just put into my head that I should stay wide.
What would you do differently?:

Keep closer to the pack. I think I swam extra distance by going wide.
I want to get my power and stroke rate up to cut off at least 4 minutes in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 07m 14s
Comments:

We had strippers helping us out of our wet suits when we came out of the water. Man I have never had two women tear my clothes of that fast before :) We had about a 300 m run up a hill to the transition area. Once there got into my biking gear including putting my cycling shorts over my tri shorts. I maade sure I took just a little longer in tranistion to get the sand off my feet befre putting on my socks.

I don't think there was much I could have done differently. Maybe get my equipment on a little more quickly.
Bike
  • 4h 15m 52s
  • 94 kms
  • 22.04 km/hr
Comments:

THis is thge area theat cost me the most in the whole race. I was so into the bike I forgot to take in enough nutrition until it was too late. I had enough stuff on my bike to last me to about the 60K mark and when I hit there I had way too much left. I should have been out of fluid by then and I still had more than half of what I started with. The first part of the ride was actually very good and I was rolling along nicely. The hills were not a problem and I was doing good with gear seletion. I think I may have changed gears more times in the first 25K than I have in the last 6 months of training. Up and down up and down. It was OK though as I got into a rythym. Going through the towns along the way was a treat with all the spectators cheering us on. I kept my cadence fairly higher trying not to waste too much energy powering up the hills. The were some long slow climbs and in the middle of the race and a couple of flatter spots. Once I hit the 60K mark We were getting back into the tougher hills and the last 20K were the hardest. I hit the gearing one one of the steepest hills and came to a coumplete stop. Couldn't get my feet unclipped and fell over to the road. The bike came right over top of me adn landed donwhill from me wih my feet still in the pedals. The worst hurt ouot of that was my pride. Unfortunatley that seemed to be my undoing for the hills. THere were 3 other large climbs whihc I was forced to get off and walk up.That is why the second part of my ride was so much slower. For anyone reading this... fuel and hydration is essential. Don't make the same mistake as me and forget about it anywhere in the race. First 25 was at 23.65 mph the second 60 was at 13.4mph

Hydration and fueling... Remember it when riding.
Transition 2
  • 04m 24s
Comments:

Good transition just felt like my legs had nothing in them. I walked out of the transiton and then fist 600M of the run.

Come into transition in better shape.
Run
  • 3h 07m 16s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 08m 53s  min/km
Comments:

Coming out of transiton my legs felt weeak and tight. I expected that. After the first 600m walking I tried ti get into a rythym of walking 50 paces and running 100 or more. That worked OK at first and I was lenghtening it out hoping to find that running stride I could keep. Unfortunatley my nutrion or lack ther of fiannly cought up to me at about 4K. I could hardly put one foot in front of the other. My thighs felt like jello and there were very wobbly. At one point I was wondering if this was realy worth all this effort and pain. A short talk with myself (internally not out loud) and I pulled myself out of it and forged ahead. At the next pit stop I got water , gatorade, pepsi, a gel and some pretezels. It took about another 2 k for everything to kick in but from that point on it was good. I walked and ran to the half way point. Coming back I was running lots more and by the 13K mark I was running all except the tougher up hills. Every aide station I was taking on gatorade and pepsi. At about 16 K out I had an enrmous muscle cramp in the back of my leg. It was right at the top of the calf musle just below the knee. The lady running behind me said she actually saw the muscle pop out. Some massaging and walking got it out and I was able to run again. This happenned twice more before the end. At 17 K I cought up with a young lady from Sudbury. We were running at about the same pace and kept each other company for the rest of the way in. I'm sure we helped each other out in gettng to the finsh line and came across it together. What a race! Most of the run it was bright and sunny. Thankfully some of the run was thorugh tree lined country roads.

I think if I had come into the run in better shape as far as nourishment is concerned I would have done much better on the run. I will have to do more longdistance runs and bikes before trying this again.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and finishers shirt, gave them to my wife and went and stood in the shower/ mist they had going. Did that ever feel good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition mostly

Event comments:

This was perhaps the best organized event I have ever attended. From the intital check in to get my race package to the end everything went smoothly. The number of people involved in setting up an event of this magnitutde is unbelievable and I will certainly be out doing some volunteering next year.

Last updated: 2008-11-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:49 | 1900 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/40
Overall: 0/1350
Performance: Average
Suit: yes exterra
Course: The course is a bit difficult to explain the best way to see it is to go to the Muskoka 70.3 web site. You start with about a 300 m swim out into the lake. Cut right across the lake perhaps a couple of hundred m to another right turn around the buoy. At that point you have a long straight swim approx 900 m. After the last right turn you have the remaining 500 m or so back into the finish area. ( the 18th hole of the golf course there)
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:14
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
04:15:52 | 94 kms | 22.04 km/hr
Age Group: 0/40
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Long hilly course arround Lake of the Bays. The course was set up kind of like a lollipop. About the first 8K out was the stick which after circling the lake you came back to and had redo it. As Lisa Bently put it at our Friday night athelete carb supper. There were hills. We started with a small hill when we left transiton and they just seemed to keep getting bigger and there was of course no end to the hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:07:16 | 21.1 kms | 08m 53s  min/km
Age Group: 0/40
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back along coutnry roads and highways. Once again Lisa Bently was right on . There were hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-15 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Muskoka Ironman 70.3

2009-09-15 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2407226

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Muskoka Ironman 70.3
Good report. Nice analysis of your effort. I really think you planned it well and figured out where the wheels came off. Way to stick it out! I love this line as to what you could have done better: "Come into transition in better shape."

Doug
2009-09-15 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I had to laugh a bit when you said you ate some pretzels.  Remember that conversation?  Super tough job out there.  I am very proud of you.  I'm glad your wife was there to share it with you.
2009-09-15 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Great job Rob!  Awesome that you had that short talk with yourself on the run and kept at it!  
2009-09-15 12:43 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Good Job Rob. From reading this, it sounds like you have some plans on capturing it again next year???
2009-09-15 3:00 PM

User image

Congrats!  Great job out there.  Are you hooked??????

2009-09-15 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Great job.  Way to be tough despite a bike crash and some missed nutrition!! It was a great day out there!!
2009-09-15 4:52 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
This was a very special day for you!  You handled everything great!  I am happy for you, and proud of you!  You have gone through a lot this past year w/ the new career and everything!  You went out there, you stuck it out, and you finished!  You are also HOOOKED NOW!!! Nice job!

2009-09-15 6:13 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Rob - way to tough it out!  What an effort you put in to finish your HIM!  Congrats and I am pretty sure you will give it another go...  Your RR seemed to indicate that you might have some unfinished business with the HIM...

2009-09-15 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2408286

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Awesome race Rob.  Congrats on your first HIM.

2009-09-15 8:33 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Congrats on sticking with it and getting through that!  You should definitely be proud - and look forward to a great improvement next time! Smile

2009-09-16 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Nice job Rob.  Good read for me...I will make extra efforts on nutrition next week.  Way to hang in there when it got tough.
2009-09-16 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Good race Rob.  Way to stick it out even in tough times.  It can be so easy to just pack it in and call it quits, but you put your mind to it and finished.  Awesome job.

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2009-09-16 7:00 AM
2009-09-17 8:55 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Congrats on the race.  It was a tough day out there - and the nutrition issues you ran into certainly wouldn't have helped.  Sounds like you put forth a great effort in terms of mental strength to overcome some of those obstacles.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muskoka Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed