United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 41s
Overall Rank = 89/291
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 15/26
Pre-race routine:

As normal for a 7:00 AM start: up at 3:45, breakfast of 1 cup cooked rice, scrambled with 1 egg white and 1 whole egg, 1 dry toasted bagel, and a banana. Sipped GE on way to race.

Arrived around 6:00 AM, set up transition and put on wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Headed down to swim start around 6:45. It was a bit chilly and the water was cool. Warm up consisted of peeing in the wetsuit and swimming out to the deep water start. Well, it was in the middle of the river but I could stand up.
Swim
  • 32m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was sluggish at the horn. Lack of warm up made the first couple hundred yards slow. Was a fair amount of banging and bumping going on.

When we reached the turn I had a heck of a time rounding the buoy. Thing seemed like it was moving upstream. Finally got around first buoy, sighted the second and set course and 10 strokes later when I sighted I was downstream of that one. Adjusted course and 10 stroke later I was close but still downstream... WTF? Finally got around the buoy and thought, " Holy shit I am swimming fast now". It was then I realized the current we were in. I thought the first 750 meters seemed long and hard. The ride down stream was nice. Time really was not affected by the current as I think the two directions canceled out.

Finished the swim strong and felt good coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

As always, if I trained to swim I might become a pretty strong AG triathlete.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

T1 was good. Was a decent distance to TA. Got suit off easy and into shoes pretty quick. Realized I forgot to get gels out of bag so took a second to grab them before heading out.

My sunglasses were completely fogged from the moisture and cool temps so I held them in my mouth to the mount line...

At the mount line I performed the "jump on bike" maneuver... not very well mind you. Almost tipped over, corrected, almost crashed into the spectators... dropped my sunglasses. Said to hell with it and took off.

Practice jumping on bike and have gels taped to top bar like every other short course race I have done.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Best bike leg ever for me. Intensity in training, paired with lots of climbing has me in pretty good bike shape.

The rolling hills didn't phase me at all. The big guy spent some time passing people going UPHILL this time.

Gel at 15 minutes and another at 1 hour. No fluids other than about half an aero bottle of water.

Felt strong on the bike the entire time. Went fairly hard from the start and really hammered the last 4 miles or so. Passed tons of people... was passed by a couple REALLY FLYING though. I want to do that.

Can't think of a thing!
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Perfectly executed T2! Racked bike, took off helmet and put on shoes. No socks for 10k. Hopefully things go this smooth all the time.

Nothing, it would screw it up!
Run
  • 55m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

Felt decent off the bike. Got my HR down pretty quick. I knew right way that I was not going sub :50 like I had hoped.

Felt smooth and solid, albeit just a touch slower than I hoped. Was tough to gauge where I was at on the run. Being two loops we were mixed with all of the really fast folks and the second lap was really crowded as I was now with the middle and back of the pack.

About mid run I felt a bit of a hot spot developing on my right foot. Not a big deal, I can deal with most anything for 3 miles.

I took no water on this run. Was plenty hydrated and it just was not that hot. I train up to 90 minutes without water so I was fine.

Was pretty happy with the run, especially considering the effort I put on the bike.

A little easier on the bike???? Not sure how much time I would have made up on the run as compared to what I would have lost on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a fair amount of Heed, ate half a banana and a bagel. Walked a lot. Waded into the river, which felt real good as it had warmed up dramatically and washed the blood off my right foot. Just a tiny little blister on the top of my middle toe on right foot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uhhhh.... not sure. I think with continued training at the level and intensity I did for this race I could go sub 2:30 in an OLY. I think I maybe could have left a little more on the run course, but not much.

Event comments:

For first year they did a bang up job. This is going to become a popular race. State Parks limits them to 400 so it will sell out fast in the future. I will be back.

Look at me becoming a FOP racer. Wow! Very, very happy with my race.

Last updated: 2009-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:22 | 1640 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/291
Performance: Average
Suit: O'brien sleeveless triathlon wetsuit
Course: Rectangular counter clockwise loop.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:35 | 24.85 miles | 19.99 mile/hr
Performance: Good
AVG HR 154... LT is 152
Wind:
Course: Out and back, gently rolling hills.... NOT flat and fast as advertised. Based on HR I rode this as hard as I could have.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:52 | 06.21 miles | 08m  min/mile
Zone 3: 19:04 Zone 4: 35:33 Zone 5: 00:54
Course: 2 loop, very flat and fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-15 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Spokane Triathlon

2009-09-15 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2407302

User image

Spokane
Subject: RE: Spokane Triathlon

Nice job! - Remarkable how similar our races went, thought I was reading my own race report. Unfortunately I wasn't really pay attention to who I was finishing with at the line, it was a bit crowded in there.  I'll watch for your progress here on BT in the future.

2009-09-15 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2407302

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Spokane Triathlon
Great job out there!  Wish I would've looked to see other BTers so I could've said hi.  Sounds like you had a really good day!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spokane Triathlon Rss Feed