68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 46s
Overall Rank = 151/479
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/26
Pre-race routine:

Females: 27/176

Set up transition...stretch...used the stick on left hami before I got in wetsuit.
Event warmup:

None...too chaotic...
Swim
  • 06m 39s
  • 322 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm just not fast...hoping this comes with more practice, and time?
What would you do differently?:

Keep practicing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

So, this hasn't happened to me before...I got a little frazzled as to where my bike was, so I definately lost some time there...the trees threw me off...but as soon as I got my bearings straight, I was fine...and off pretty quick.

Threw on glasses and helmet and got into shoes...did the thing again where I already had the bike shorts on for the ride.

Not get confused as to where my bike was...
Bike
  • 58m 4s
  • 18.6 miles
  • 19.22 mile/hr
Comments:

So, this was an interesting bike...and I'm pretty sure I could have had a faster split if:

1-I didn't stop right when we started to tighten up my right bike shoe (felt loose)...

2-I didn't stop after the first turn onto Rt. 67 to try to get bike computer to work....which, after about 30 seconds (but felt like eternity), I said F*ck it, and took off, and therefore, had NO bike computer the entire bike...

3-I didn't lose my water bottle at the third set of train tracks and therefore have absolutely nothing to drink all ride (don't think this hurt me at all, just added it in so you could get the jist of everything that was going "wrong"...it was really quite commical)...

4-We didn't have to "slow down" going over the THREE sets of railroad tracks...they are in pretty bad shape, and I didn't feel like busting up a tire...considering I am flat free throughout EVERY training ride, and EVERY race for the last 4 years...oh shiznit, now that I said it out loud my streak is going to come to a screaching halt!!!

Was glad I drove the course the day before, because there was a hill as we turned off one of the main streets, and it was right when you made the turn, so I knew to go into the small chain ring and stand up to get up it, while the 10 or so people who didn't know that were surprised with it!

The other thing that helped me prepare, which was not planned, was the day that I went up to ride the Big Foot course and I got lost, and ended up in Fontana...I had ridden South Lake Shore down to the Abbey, so knew how it was hilly, and the downhills are REALLY quick!

Keep up with hill training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

I gave the racking of the bike a below average, because the tension wire or whatever you would call it where our bikes were racked was pretty high (to me, I am only 5'2 afterall) and when I went to hang bike, finger got caught and I hurt my finger. Other than that, found area better than I had coming out of swim.

Grow?
Run
  • 28m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

HOLY HILLS!!! Someone told me that the 3rd hill was the worst...so I knew this run wouldn't be a cake walk...but holy cow! Hills worry me with the stomach pain, and sure enough, it came on, which made me back off...something I was hoping not to do, but pushing it any harder, and who knows, I could have really hurt myself with that incline. I did walk a little bit when it cramped...but it was only a minute or so...just had to get breathing correct and hope pain went away, and it did.

Think it took me 15:51 to get to 5k turnaround, and 12:41 to get back, so that shows you how much easier it was coming down.

RUN.MORE.HILLS.

Hill repeats??? Considering Scott (one of my close friends) lives up there...I need to go up there and stay with him and practice since downtown is SOOOOOOOO flat! Maybe I can "retrain" my stomach not to cramp when going up such a severe incline??
Post race
Warm down:

Got some food...talked with my sister for a little bit...found a couple of my friends, chatted, looked around for DJ Davey, but NEVER found him!!! Then packed up and went back to Peg and Hutch's condo and we went out for breakfast!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach pain? Think that's because of the incline though, so not sure about that...because my stomach muscle issues have pretty much subsided on flat runs...

Event comments:

Was hoping to be under 1:35, but I'll take what I got. I DON'T ever do hills running, and I know that hurt me here. I swear, people in Wisconsin have such an advantage over us Chicago folk...I just need to make more trips up north for training, and I REALLY think that will help!

People talked about how much this race blows because of the RD, but for the sprint, I don't think it was too bad...I may do this again...we'll see!

Last updated: 2009-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:39 | 322 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/26
Overall: 0/479
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless Quintana Roo
Course: They shortened the course to the same distance as the supersprint...so it was now only a 0.2 (supposed to be a 0.33), so that was a tad annoying...but it is what it is. We swam out to buoy, turned left and went to orange buoy and turned left and came back into start...counterclockwise loop.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:58:04 | 18.6 miles | 19.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/26
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out and back loop south of swim start
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:34 | 03.11 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/26
Performance: Average
Course: Bullshite! Hard! Hilly! RIDONKULOUS!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-15 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Lake Geneva - SPRINT

2009-09-15 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2407806

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Lake Geneva - SPRINT

for the record............djdavey was there looking for you and could not find you either!!!  and for the record, "holy hills" does not do that bad boy justice!!! nicole took me on a drive of the run course on the way back to madison and, wait, did you say three hills???  man, seemed like just one long mutha to me!!!  but............who knows, maybe that is the kind of hill i just might run up next year?  and those transition "racks/wires" or whatever they were, were stoopid!!! they should have had lower ones and better control over tranisition so people werent using trees, bushes or three spots on the wire for their transition spots!!  but hey, stop stopping on the bike all the time and you will end up with a stellar race!!!!!  (oh, and you owe me five bucks or.............well, you know...........)

2009-09-15 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Nice job on the race.  You've had both ends of the spectrum for swimming.  Bangs Lake which was about a 1/2 mile too long and then a shortened one.  I did this race 3 or 4 years ago and those hills on the run course are brutal. 
2009-09-15 9:11 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Sounds like fun...congrats on a good race!
2009-09-16 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
Nice Race...even with the ridonkulous hills
2009-09-17 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
nice job!!!

2009-09-17 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Great race! Super bike split - very fast. I've heard rumors about that bike and run course. You handled the challenges with apparent ease and from a flatlander, no less 
2009-09-17 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2412075

User image

I've done Lake Geneva and yes, those hills are pretty tough. It's funny because I thought the bike was flat except for the first and last mile, yet those are the miles that stick out in my mind. The run is brutal. I wouldn't worry about walking because I think most people do.

Well done!

I hate when they change distances with no warning like they did on the swim. 0.2 miles? That's not a swim, that's a quick bath.

2009-09-17 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Nice race!  All that stuff going against you on the bike, and still did pretty well considering the hills.  I ride through there often when I do the LG loop and its part of the reason I have never done that race  

BTW, you don't have to go to wisconsin to get the hills, just out to Iowa the suburbs like Barrington Hills and Bull Valley.  But you know that....

Thanks again for your help at MOO!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva - SPRINT Rss Feed