Agree20 Votes - [19.42%]
Disagree83 Votes - [80.58%]

2009-09-16 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2409907

User image

Subject: RE: Is President Carter right?

jmk-brooklyn - 2009-09-16 11:39 AM
eberulf - 2009-09-16 1:29 PM
jimbo - 2009-09-16 12:47 PM ........... show me where carter says that all criticism of obama has roots in racism or how that additional quotation, the first part of which is referencing wilson specifically, contradicts anything that i said.
Carter never uses the word "all" but he did use the words "overwhelming majority." That doesn't have an exact definition but in my mind it would be much more than 50%. I find it insulting. I intensely disagree with most of Obama's policies and intentions. I do not consider myself a racist, and I guarentee I would be as intense with John Kerry or Al Gore spewing the same big governement answer to everything.

Sort of.  He says, “an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity.”  Not ‘an overwhelming majority of those criticizing the President’. I think the part you left out is significant. 

Also, criticism is different than animosity and I think Carter’s articulate enough to understand the distinction.  I think this is an example of one side on an argument seizing on an intentional mischaracterization of what was said. 

I’m sure there are those who think I’m just mincing words, like Pres. Clinton asking for the definition of the word “is”, but I think it’s important to examine the person’s exact words and interpret them as a whole, and not cherry-pick portions of the quotation for the purpose of extrapolating some meaning that isn’t there. . 

If you are going to make a speech like that you should not only be concerned with what you are saying, but even more importantly what will be heard, rarely are they the same.

2009-09-16 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2408911

User image

Champion
PA
What is Carter running his pie hole for anyway?  It's obvious that Sith Lord Obama can handle his own defense.

2009-09-16 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2409907

User image

jmk-brooklyn - 2009-09-16 1:39 PM

jimbo - 2009-09-16 12:47 PM ........... show me where carter says that all criticism of obama has roots in racism or how that additional quotation, the first part of which is referencing wilson specifically, contradicts anything that i said.
Carter never uses the word "all" but he did use the words "overwhelming majority." That doesn't have an exact definition but in my mind it would be much more than 50%. I find it insulting. I intensely disagree with most of Obama's policies and intentions. I do not consider myself a racist, and I guarentee I would be as intense with John Kerry or Al Gore spewing the same big governement answer to everything.

Sort of.  He says, “an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity.”  Not ‘an overwhelming majority of those criticizing the President’. I think the part you left out is significant. 

Also, criticism is different than animosity and I think Carter’s articulate enough to understand the distinction.  I think this is an example of one side on an argument seizing on an intentional mischaracterization of what was said. 

I’m sure there are those who think I’m just mincing words, like Pres. Clinton asking for the definition of the word “is”, but I think it’s important to examine the person’s exact words and interpret them as a whole, and not cherry-pick portions of the quotation for the purpose of extrapolating some meaning that isn’t there. . 

I don't know what happened but I was wrong to put "overwhelming majority" instead of "overwhelming portion". I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. Anyway, the word overwhelming still connotes to me more than a majority.

Maybe both sides are mincing words in this argument, but when I read those and other statements from Carter, my feeling is that he is blaming most of the criticism of the president on racism.
2009-09-16 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2409937

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
crusevegas - 2009-09-16 2:51 PM

If you are going to make a speech like that you should not only be concerned with what you are saying, but even more importantly what will be heard, rarely are they the same.

How can one be concerned with what people hear when by your own admission people don't hear what is said. As evidenced by this thread people can't even read a single sentence and see what is actually written.
2009-09-16 2:29 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I agree with what Jimmy Carter actually said on this issue, and not with the words that are being put into his mouth.

Here's the thing, there is no way to prove his statement is true or untrue. Racism is such a taboo subject in the US that only the most extreme (KKK, Aryan Nation) types will openly admit to it. If you take a poll about this subject, people can lie, and probably will. I am in no way suggesting that anyone here on BT is less than honest in any way.

I do know, however, from my personal experience, and from a regular reading of whatever "man on the street"  opinions I can find that there are a whole lot of racial undertones in the words being used to express animosity towards Obama. I have lived in the south my whole life, and came into schools on the heels of desegregation.  I have seen the many and varied nuances of speech that can and are used in place of racial epithets, and they are being used to express contempt for Obama.

Can I prove that what I say is really what's going on? No I can't, and that's the point of the carefully crafted language (code if you will) that's being used. Because there's an extra layer of meaning that is understood by both the speaker and the listener that the cold-hard denotation of the words themselves lacks on its face. It's really pretty clever. However, just because I can't prove it does not necessarily make it untrue.

Can one oppose Obama's policy without being racist? Of course. To suggest otherwise is stupid. Can one dislike him without being racist, absolutely. However to deny that there is not a significantly racist motivation to much of the most viscious and hateful reactions to his presidency is to deny the truth.

We in the U.S. have not gotten over the race hurdle yet, we are further along than we ever were, but we are not contemplating the gates of the promised land just yet.

2009-09-16 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2410044

User image

Champion
PA
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-09-16 3:29 PM

I agree with what Jimmy Carter actually said on this issue, and not with the words that are being put into his mouth.

Here's the thing, there is no way to prove his statement is true or untrue. Racism is such a taboo subject in the US that only the most extreme (KKK, Aryan Nation) types will openly admit to it. If you take a poll about this subject, people can lie, and probably will. I am in no way suggesting that anyone here on BT is less than honest in any way.

I do know, however, from my personal experience, and from a regular reading of whatever "man on the street"  opinions I can find that there are a whole lot of racial undertones in the words being used to express animosity towards Obama. I have lived in the south my whole life, and came into schools on the heels of desegregation.  I have seen the many and varied nuances of speech that can and are used in place of racial epithets, and they are being used to express contempt for Obama.

Can I prove that what I say is really what's going on? No I can't, and that's the point of the carefully crafted language (code if you will) that's being used. Because there's an extra layer of meaning that is understood by both the speaker and the listener that the cold-hard denotation of the words themselves lacks on its face. It's really pretty clever. However, just because I can't prove it does not necessarily make it untrue.

Can one oppose Obama's policy without being racist? Of course. To suggest otherwise is stupid. Can one dislike him without being racist, absolutely. However to deny that there is not a significantly racist motivation to much of the most viscious and hateful reactions to his presidency is to deny the truth.

We in the U.S. have not gotten over the race hurdle yet, we are further along than we ever were, but we are not contemplating the gates of the promised land just yet.

Regardless, I don't think people disagree with Obama because of the color of his skin.  I think there is more polarization due to political policy differences than there are with skin color.  Just my opinion though.  I dislike a lot of white folk for that reason.  Fact it, Hillary and Palin are dramatically different and their supporters would go together like oil and water.  I'm sure sexist claims would be used if one of them were taking the same heat right now.

The race card is a non-issue here IMO.

2009-09-16 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Well said.

Now, can you write that in iambic pentameter?
2009-09-16 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
crusevegas - 2009-09-16 1:51 PM

Sorry, you lost me.  How is Carter at fault if people misinterpreted or mischaracterized what he said?  His words are right there in print.  And it wasn't a speech, was it?  It was a response to someone's question. 
2009-09-16 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2410018

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
eberulf - 2009-09-16 2:17 PM
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-09-16 1:39 PM

I don't know what happened but I was wrong to put "overwhelming majority" instead of "overwhelming portion". I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. Anyway, the word overwhelming still connotes to me more than a majority. Maybe both sides are mincing words in this argument, but when I read those and other statements from Carter, my feeling is that he is blaming most of the criticism of the president on racism.

Gotcha, but the important part isn't the "overwhelming majority" vs "overwhelming portion", it's the "of the intensely demonstrated animosity" part.  He's not saying that the majority of the whole is racist, only the majority of a segement of the population.  If I say, "The overwhelming portion of green M&M's are poisonous", I'm not saying that the majority of M&M's are poisonous, only the majority of the green ones.

ETA:  Ok, sorry, I'll stop now.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2009-09-16 2:42 PM
2009-09-16 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2410056

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Pector55 - 2009-09-16 2:33 PM

Regardless, I don't think people disagree with Obama because of the color of his skin.  I think there is more polarization due to political policy differences than there are with skin color.  Just my opinion though.  I dislike a lot of white folk for that reason.  Fact it, Hillary and Palin are dramatically different and their supporters would go together like oil and water.  I'm sure sexist claims would be used if one of them were taking the same heat right now.

Race is, IMO, a much bigger piece of the puzzle. It's been said before, reasonable men can disagree. there is a big difference between hate and policy. I maintan that we are seeing a lot of hate these days, that it was always there, and that the Obama presidency has brought it more out in the open than it was.

2009-09-16 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2410060

User image

Champion
PA
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-09-16 3:35 PM

Sorry, you lost me.  How is Carter at fault if people misinterpreted or mischaracterized what he said?  His words are right there in print.  And it wasn't a speech, was it?  It was a response to someone's question. 

Communications classes teach you that it's your responsibility to assure you are interpreted correctly.  I debated that it was a two way thing but I was informed that it's the speaker's responsibility only. 

2009-09-16 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2410085

User image

Champion
PA
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-09-16 3:42 PM

Race is, IMO, a much bigger piece of the puzzle. It's been said before, reasonable men can disagree. there is a big difference between hate and policy. I maintan that we are seeing a lot of hate these days, that it was always there, and that the Obama presidency has brought it more out in the open than it was.

Plenty of white folk hated Bush.  I see this as no different.  I see race as convenient cover.
2009-09-16 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
So is the black guy in AZ who carried the AR-15 to the Obama rally a racist?

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-09-16 2:49 PM
2009-09-16 2:50 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-16 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2410088

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Pector55 - 2009-09-16 2:43 PM

Communications classes teach you that it's your responsibility to assure you are interpreted correctly.  I debated that it was a two way thing but I was informed that it's the speaker's responsibility only. 

To the extent that I think Carter could have been a lot clearer about what he was trying to say, I completely agree. 

I guess Carter’s oratory style, what with all the big words and commas and such, is better suited to the pre-Twitter/Facebook/IM era when people could actually hear or read a sentence and consider it on their own for five seconds before being told by a thousand pundits what he really meant by it.  

2009-09-16 2:56 PM

Champion
Urbandale, IA

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.  I had to read until the end of page 4 for someone to get this right. 
Did President Carter mean to mislead by the statement?  I don't know, he has never seemed to be that smart of a guy to me - and unfortunately I am old enough to remember when he was elected president.  I think he certainly promoted a thought that is not supported by the facts and I also agree that he keeps the ability to say "that is not what I said" if questioned or in the face of any blow back. 
For any of us to beleieve that those words were not chosen for what they did not say as much as what they did say would be the nieve part.  This is just standard politics in the U.S.A.  The Dems are having some trouble, take the focus off.  The GOP is having some problems, have some other crazy say something and take the focus off. 
Business as usaul in the United states Congress. 

2009-09-16 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2410113

Champion
PA
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-09-16 3:51 PM
Pector55 - 2009-09-16 2:43 PM

To the extent that I think Carter could have been a lot clearer about what he was trying to say, I completely agree. 

I guess Carter’s oratory style, what with all the big words and commas and such, is better suited to the pre-Twitter/Facebook/IM era when people could actually hear or read a sentence and consider it on their own for five seconds before being told by a thousand pundits what he really meant by it.  

You know that is funny to me.  I told my daughter that I wasn't interested in twitter because people who communicate with 160 characters or less are not saying enough to make it worth my time.  LOL 

I don't think Carter could have done much in this instance because I just believe that people are tired of hearing the "racist" term thrown around so much.  It's the new "Hitler."  Everyone who disagrees with me should be villanized via the Hitler or racist label.  Despite any validity to the comment, the race card is becoming worn and tattered.  It's a shame too because I fear that when we need it, it won't carry the appropriate weight.
2009-09-16 3:06 PM

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I keep writing and deleting post after post. Maybe I can do better with pictures...

2009-09-16 3:06 PM

Master
Portland, ME

This debate, Carter's comments and Rep Hank Johnson's deplorable comments once again points out the  problems with the multiculturalism and how it is used as a tool by government to wedge citizens against citizens and take the focus away from the real issues.

I mean does Rep. Johnson really think that those that oppose the erosion of liberty are going to be riding around in white hoods and white uniforms and white uniforms and riding through the countryside intimidating people?

2009-09-16 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2410060

jmk-brooklyn - 2009-09-16 12:35 PM

I stand corrected, in his "statement". I listened to it again, and this is what I heard him say "a belief among many white people not just in the south but around the country that African Americans are not qualified to lead this great country".

From what the definition Webster has for many, is "most" I thought most meant a majority. I can't understand it differently unless yo define many in a different way than Webster.

One of the fears I have is that with so many who are concerned about the out of control federal govt. spending in this country being painted on a regular and consistent basis as being a racists, from government officials, celebrities, news media to people around the country in forums through all walks of life is it will make it a lot more difficult (for the wrong reasons) for another person of color to reach the level of achievement that President Obama has.

"Often what is heard isn't what was said and often what was said isn't what is heard"

Me

2009-09-16 3:10 PM

ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-09-16 12:42 PM

I personally think it has a lot more to do with the bailout that Bush, Obama and McCain signed last year, the stimulus package this year and all of the other federal govt. programs throwing money around like they had it.

ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-09-16 12:42 PM

I personally think it has a lot more to do with the bailout that Bush, Obama and McCain signed last year, the stimulus package this year and all of the other federal govt. programs throwing money around like they had it.

in reply to: #2410111

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

PennState - 2009-09-16 2:50 PM

Ok here's a question for you... what do you suppose drove the "most vicious and hateful reactions" (your exact words) to president George W. Bush? If you don't think that these reactions occurred to both Bush and Obama (ie; someone who only sees their guy getting the vicious attacks), I doubt there will be any possible value to the current discussion

My answer??? It was his POLICY. People objected to the Iraq war, his spending, "no child left behind", treatment of terror suspects, violation of civil liberties etc, etc, ect.

Why can Obama supporters not accept that many (and yes me) strongly disagree with the current president's policies... and future legislation...  and yet don't care about his skin color the way we are painted by good ole' J.C.???
Personally I think Obama is a big boy and can accept some strong opposition to policy... making this strong oppostion about race (mainly) seems so very unwise.

George W. Bush's presidency is not in question here, and is a logical red herring. They are two different people, each with his own set of issues.

2009-09-16 3:14 PM

Here is the you tube speech statement

2009-09-16 3:14 PM

I disagree with the use of the race card  for many of the reasons already mentioned. If we are ever going to achieve any semblence of equality, we have to stop the black/white/Mexican rhetoric and start focusing on the issues. Joe Wilson as well as the majority of the opposition in town hall meetings have said nothing to indicate race is a major factor in their opposition to President Obama. Even those who equate the president to Hitler (which is absolutely asinine) usually do so without any overt reference to race, at least the comments I have read/heard.

I am currently a Democrat and I do not think President Carter or those congressman who formally reprimanded Joe Wilson are doing President Obama any favors. If Democrats would have let Wilson's actions speak for themselves, the overwhelming reaction by the layman would be how stupid Wilson was for acting in such a manner. Now thanks to the hyperbolic controversy created by President Carter and other like-minded individuals, even I roll my eyes and start wondering why I voted for some of these guys in the first place. (Sarah Palin would be the resounding answer by the way).  Now instead of Joe Wilson looking like an idiot, President Carter largely looks like the idiot and it reflects badly on our current president who will automatically be attached to those comments through conservative media backlash (Hannity, Beck, O'Reilly).

The reality is that President Obama has some different ways of looking at things and they are going to garner strong reactions on both sides of the aisle. If certain factions of Republicans want to look foolish, Democrats should wash their hands of them and let it slide. Toting guns, screaming insults, and creating chaos at town meetings will not ultimately influence the American public in a positive manner; but neither will playing the race card, or officially reprimanding these idiotic acts either.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is President Carter right? Rss Feed  

of 7