OptionResults
Agree20 Votes - [19.42%]
Disagree83 Votes - [80.58%]

2009-09-17 6:02 AM
in reply to: #2410534

New user
Subject: RE: Is President Carter right?
Tripolar - 2009-09-16 7:02 PM

Why do I think that?  As for the Joe Wilson episode, never before in the history of US presidents giving speeches to joint sessions of Congress has someone brazenly interrupted the President with an outburst of "You Lie!"  And the first time it happens?  It's a white southerner yelling at a black president.  Sure it could be coincidence, but I just don't believe that.

But I agree with an earlier poster who said that it's not provable one way or the other -- it is merely my opinion.

As a white southerner, all I can say is that is one of the saddest statements I have ever read.  I guess I can only aspire to be as enlightened as some on the west coast. 

As far as the JC comment, there is a big difference between being rude and being racist.

2009-09-17 6:07 AM
in reply to: #2410983

User image

Giver
PennState - 2009-09-17 6:05 AM I think it's fairly revealling in our un-scientific poll that a majority of our responders do not agree with that Obama's critics are rooted in racism (80-18% this am).

Considering that there are quite a few "left of Lenin" liberals on this board... my guess is that whatever the real numbers, the majority don't agree with the above statement about Obama's critics. I would be that it would be good political strategy to continue to distance oneselves from Carter. Actually I'm pretty sure the White House has done much more scientific polling on this question than WE have and will make the poltically smart moves.

The OP was ambiguous. I wasn't sure if the poll was about Carter's statement or answering this question:

Does criticism of President Obama and his policies have roots in racism?

I wanted a "maybe" answer...
2009-09-17 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2410763

User image

Champion
Tripolar - 2009-09-16 9:22 PM

crusevegas - 2009-09-16 7:17 PM

Tripolar - 2009-09-16 5:34 PM
uclamatt2007 - 2009-09-16 5:14 PM
Tripolar - 2009-09-16 5:02 PM Dang, my popcorn is all gone.  *pouts*  Guess that means I need to chime in then...

I was one of the few who voted that I think President Carter is correct -- that racism does indeed underlie some of the most virulent attacks on Obama.   Especially Joe Wilson's outburst.

Why do I think that?  As for the Joe Wilson episode, never before in the history of US presidents giving speeches to joint sessions of Congress has someone brazenly interrupted the President with an outburst of "You Lie!"  And the first time it happens?  It's a white southerner yelling at a black president.  Sure it could be coincidence, but I just don't believe that.

But I agree with an earlier poster who said that it's not provable one way or the other -- it is merely my opinion.

I have to disagree. If it was a white guy from California who yelled it would you think the same thing?

I also don't think for one minute that it was an emotional outburst. Everyone knew what Obama was gonna say as it was the same arguments that we have been hearing for months. I fully think that it was seizing the opportunity to stage a publicity stunt. It was politics. Wilson's twitter followers doubled overnight. I am sure that campaign contributions also had a huge jump. It's just politics... I can't see anyway to read further into it.

Actually, had it been a white guy from California, I would think the same thing.  The point is that it has never happened before.  No representative has ever felt he had license to just shout out an insult at the President during a speech before.  Isn't that notable?  And I believe it's because we've always had white male presidents.  Since we now have a black president, some people apparently feel the old rules no longer apply.  Incidentally, if Hillary had been elected and shouted at in this fashion, I would believe that it was sexist.

And let me be clear -- I'm *not* talking about general disagreement with the President or his policies.  I'm only talking about these exceptional displays of animosity that have never occurred before.

I'm a little confused now, why did you think it was relevant to point out that he was a white guy from a southern state in your earlier post if it was " irrelevant"?

I never said it was irrelevant.  It *is* relevant, in my mind, and adds to the likelihood that it was racist.  

You're getting very close to being over the line here. Suggesting that a Southerner is more likely to be racist than a non-Southerner is the type of labeling/bigotry that you're railing against here.
2009-09-17 6:57 AM
in reply to: #2410706

User image

Master
Portland, ME

Jimbo,

I'm assuming you didn't see this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALoQMzo00rs

So dissenters are still not being called racists?

Personally, I don't own a white hood or uniform and my wife is half black and I'm about as dissenting as them come.

Edited by Jackemy 2009-09-17 7:00 AM
2009-09-17 7:02 AM
in reply to: #2408911

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-17 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2410836

Master
Portland, ME
Spokes - 2009-09-16 10:11 PM No.

The difference here is that the extreme left has not learned to fight as dirty as the extreme right does. The right is making a point and that's freaking the lefties out, so they've resorted to playing the race card.

If I were advising the left, I'd say "Look, we know you disagree with us... but we're not going to attempt to surpress what you are saying... which is what the left is trying to do right now.

It wasn't this bad under W - and before you think I'm a W fan, I'm sure as hell not.

Actually, we are just starting to catch up to the left who has been using the Rules for Radicals playbook for a long time. The left if just ticked that the right finally bought a copy.

2009-09-17 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2411023

Pro
Irvine, California
DerekL - 2009-09-17 4:39 AM
Tripolar - 2009-09-16 9:22 PM
crusevegas - 2009-09-16 7:17 PM

Tripolar - 2009-09-16 5:34 PM
uclamatt2007 - 2009-09-16 5:14 PM
Tripolar - 2009-09-16 5:02 PM Dang, my popcorn is all gone.  *pouts*  Guess that means I need to chime in then...

I was one of the few who voted that I think President Carter is correct -- that racism does indeed underlie some of the most virulent attacks on Obama.   Especially Joe Wilson's outburst.

I have to disagree. If it was a white guy from California who yelled it would you think the same thing?

I also don't think for one minute that it was an emotional outburst. Everyone knew what Obama was gonna say as it was the same arguments that we have been hearing for months. I fully think that it was seizing the opportunity to stage a publicity stunt. It was politics. Wilson's twitter followers doubled overnight. I am sure that campaign contributions also had a huge jump. It's just politics... I can't see anyway to read further into it.

Actually, had it been a white guy from California, I would think the same thing.  The point is that it has never happened before.  No representative has ever felt he had license to just shout out an insult at the President during a speech before.  Isn't that notable?  And I believe it's because we've always had white male presidents.  Since we now have a black president, some people apparently feel the old rules no longer apply.  Incidentally, if Hillary had been elected and shouted at in this fashion, I would believe that it was sexist.

And let me be clear -- I'm *not* talking about general disagreement with the President or his policies.  I'm only talking about these exceptional displays of animosity that have never occurred before.

I'm a little confused now, why did you think it was relevant to point out that he was a white guy from a southern state in your earlier post if it was " irrelevant"?

I never said it was irrelevant.  It *is* relevant, in my mind, and adds to the likelihood that it was racist.  
You're getting very close to being over the line here. Suggesting that a Southerner is more likely to be racist than a non-Southerner is the type of labeling/bigotry that you're railing against here.

My apologies, and thanks for pointing it out. 
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is President Carter right? Rss Feed  

of 7