United States
USAT
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 48s
Overall Rank = 22/178
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 430, made some food and was out the door at 5. On the way, ate a bagel w/ pb, banana and a Gatorade. I arrived at the race site right around 7, giving me plenty of time to park and get everything set up
Event warmup:

5 minute jog and some stretching. Honestly did not feel like getting in the water before my time to go.
Swim
  • 09m 12s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Easy swim to be quite honest. Seeing as how I have not done s**t in the past 3 months made me feel a little nervous, but once I zoned out like I always do, I found myself swimming like I always have. Found a pair of feet within the first 100 and stayed with them almost till the end. By the way, this includes a good 200 or so meter run to transition, so real swim time is about 1.3 to 2 minutes shorter :)
What would you do differently?:

Probably could have gone without drafting, maybe if I was on my own I could have been a little faster, but no matter. I am happy with the time since I haven't swam in so long, but I know improvements are needed in overall strength and form in the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

7/178

Run out of the water seemed like a good 200-300m, which spiked my HR. Got to the bike and fumbled with the helmet for a hot minute and was off. Not having a wetsuit to worry about really made the transition easier. No real complaints.
Bike
  • 35m 31s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Took way to long to get my feet in the shoes out of transition, but I don't think it cost me any time (just incredibly aggravating). Since a group of high school swim team kids were in wave 1, I was passing people left and right. A good feeling :) However, I think it may have messed with my perception a bit, since I could have sworn my average pace was much faster than the clock stated. I went in a little too hard because my calfs were seizing up right at the end, so I knew the run would be difficult.

Bottom line: I need to ride more. Im tired of getting "ok" bike times. Yes, this is the fastest I've gone so far in a race, but I know I can do so much better.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

My tri bottom got stuck on the seat coming into the flying dismount, so to prevent from totally crashing out, I gingerly stopped and got off the bike. LAME! That messed me up, my mind wasn't there for the transition and the first part of the run

Get tri shorts that fit better, work on cycling to make the run easier.
Run
  • 28m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Both calfs were seized up within 5 seconds of running. Running flatfooted into a straight hill is not fun, but I didn't want to stop and risk loosing my place any more. I didn't have a watch so I had no perception of time, but I didn't feel like I was going as slow as I really was. Came around the lake and finally settled into a comfortable rhythm (haha, with only 5 more minutes of running to do). Up one last big climb, down the hill and across the lake to the finish line.

Wow, was I really that slow? I am totally shocked with my time. Now granted most of the run was trails with pits and lots of short steep climbs (which tend to slow me down) but I know I can do better. Felt ok about the race in general, but know I can do better
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, get ice for the knee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training (as always)
I am in desperate need of new running shoes. No. 1 priority this week.

I feel like my focus was there this time, but I still didn't train enough. I don't know, maybe I am getting greedy. Looking at this time a year ago I would be stunned. So overall my strength has improved, but I am getting to the point where I am constantly asking "can I do better".

Event comments:

Good race, nice venue, very friendly people. My one complaint (aside from the smelly fish pond water) was that there were no assigned spots on the racks in transition. Made for some confusion first thing in the morning, but nothing too serious.

Last updated: 2009-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:12 | 500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 36/178
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: weird triangle, under the footbridge and back to shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: