United States
Georgia Multisports
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 54m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 11/30
Pre-race routine:

Stayed overnight at a friends house so we could get an early start on the 'train' up to the park. It gave me probably a 20-30 mins headstart. They were racing as a relay so of course, beer was on the menu that night for them but not me (boohoo). The drive was uneventful and we got to the park and into some rockstar parking right down by the finish line with plenty of time to unload, chip up and set up in T0. This was to be my first and last tri race of the season as I committed to a year off after two long years of training for two separate IM's. I set up my gear and headed for the beach. One observation is that while my last Oly was this race one year ago, I had forgotten that it brings in a much different cross-section of participants. There was a bit of angst and some equipment issues already inside transition. It never ceases to amaze me how many people show up with bike mechanical issues on race day.
Event warmup:

Headed to beach and swam out to the boat on the other side of the course and back. Also same over to the swim exit and checked it out. The water was the best I've ever seen it at Tugaloo. Much more of it this year than the last couple. It was also a bit clearer. Hung out with pals while we waited for the banner and gun.
Swim
  • 30m 45s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was initially excited here as I was in @ 30 mins with minimal swim training this year. But after reviewing not only the times of those I swim with and my own time for last year it was determined that I was exactly one second faster this year. Now, last year I was gearing up for IM FL and training hard and feeling tough. SOOOO, I'm either upset with last year or have not really improved this year, or time to get some more lessons? I felt much more relaxed and proficient until the final stretch when my goggles fogged up and I was a bit erratic with my navigation.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. Possibly some professional intervention is required. Also, when three guys are all on their backs after the first turn, just swim through them. (Let's start telling the truth about our respective swim seed times for these TT starts, shall we?)
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

11 seconds slower this year probably due to not being race ready for this season. I was taking it easy on the run over the hill to try and lower my HR.

I tend to be pokey in T1. What can I say?
Bike
  • 1h 20m 1s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 19.57 mile/hr
Comments:

14 seconds slower this year. Now, I'm about 10-12 lbs heavier so I feel like this is a victory. I was also racing with an 11-23 cassette which was probably a mistake on this course. Could've switched to a 12-25 but in retrospect, it was about the motor, not the transmission or suspension.

Train. However, I liked my strategy. As a bigger guy, I hit the flats and slight ups and downs hard since this is where I can deliver constant power. I know I'm not a climber and probably never will be so it's here where I elected to gain ground.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

13 seconds slower here but happy with this transition.

Maybe go back to using speed laces of some sort.
Run
  • 59m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Now here is where the fun starts. I was actually fairly pleasantly surprised that I could keep moving like I did. Others were passing me but my goal was to keep it under 3 hrs today and felt that I was going to do that. Since they've reversed the course direction, I haven't been as fast here but I've also not been training for an anaerobic race in a couple of seasons which definitely shows up in the run. About 4.5 miles in I started to get an uncomfortable feeling in my right foot. It felt like a softball had been inserted into my shoe. I tried to continue but thought that if I stop and check this out it was worth a couple of seconds. I removed the shoe and nothing seemed out of place. I replaced the shoe and ran some more with little relief. So, in my infinite wisdom, I stopped and removed the shoe and decided to run in my stocking foot. So, what do you think that looked like, one shoe on and one shoe off? (Answer: doofus) I continued with my excellent decision making skills by stopping now and removing the sock and returning the shoe to its rightful place. I then decided to just bear down and finish this thing. All of this taking place in the last 1.5 miles of the run. I continued on to a mad dash to the finish line. I finished 2:48 slower than last year.

Train more and lose weight. I had picked up my training in general for August so I wouldn't embarass myself. But the one shoe thing I'm sure managed to take care of that for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and met up with friends. Eventually got back to the car and removed my shoes and relaxed with a beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Simple training. I learned a lesson today. Respect the distance. After focusing on long course for the last two years I certainly wasn't intimidated by an Oly but that doesn't mean it doesn't require a certain amount and type of training. I'm no longer really a fast guy so short course activity is not going to produce much in results for me. But, it does require planning and execution prior to the start line. These are things I didn't do well. On a positive note, my goal was to stay under 3 hrs and I achieved that, possibly to the detriment of my personal health! I am a bit disappointed upon review how little changed between last year and this year. Last year I was approaching my last period of training for the big IM FL and felt in much better shape. Yet, other than the running SNAFU I was almost identical. Also, last year I placed 5th out of 32 while this year I was 11th out of 30. Roughly the same size field but I got a bit slower and a lot of people got a lot faster.

Event comments:

This still remains one of my perennial favorites in the SE. It's tough and the venue makes you know that. I enjoy seeing a lot of friends here and GA Multisports has upp'ed the game with a better race day vibe. Also, my tri club, Atlanta Tri Club (www.atlantatriclub.com), had 30 members race today!!! And man are they fast and getting faster. We need more slow members so I can feel a sense of accomplishment. :)

I'm very proud of them and what they've done this season. So many good stories to tell there. All-in-all, I was happy for the wake-up call personally and glad that I decided to attend this year's race. It was the best weather I've ever seen here and the field is definitely getting tougher.

Last updated: 2009-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:45 | 1500 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/30
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Standard polygon for Tugaloo. Shape TBD on race morning. As usual, swim into the sun the final 400m or so to reach the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:59
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:01 | 26.1 miles | 19.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/30
Wind: Little
Course: Known as one of the toughest Oly bike courses in the SE US. This one makes you work.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:59:04 | 06.21 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/30
Performance: Below average
Course: The usual torture chamber for Tugaloo. Several loops up and down and around the campgrounds. Definitely not as hot this year, thank God.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes