in reply to: #2411308

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-09-17 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2411945

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: IM? Too soon?

PennState - 2009-09-17 12:24 PM You have the training to complete it. Truthfully I have no worries as you say you are a good swimmer...so pick whatever you feel is best. I did an I.M. With a long run of 13 miles this year, but I have a little more of a base than some...

Yeah, and it took you like 10 1/2 hrs to finish the IM too!  Geesh.  ;-)

~Mike

2009-09-17 1:08 PM

Expert
Chenequa WI
I looked really quick at the Great Floridian website.  Looks like a nice event and a lot cheaper than Ironman, especially for those who signed up really early (like last year).  Out of curiosity, why do they refer to this race as an "Ultra-Distance" Triathlon?
2009-09-17 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2412030

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-18 9:36 AM

Vero Beach, FL
First of all, thank you all for sharing your opinions.  I really appreciate the feedback.

I'm not really in a hurry or rush to jump into an IM.  Prior to the 112 mile bike event last weekend I had not even given any thought to doing an IM until 2010 at the earliest.  However, my performance on the bike last weekend made me realize I'm much further along in my bike training than I thought.  Given the level of difficulty of that course I was really expecting to get off the bike and need a wheelchair to make it back to my vehicle.  When I finished the bike I was shocked at how good my legs felt given the punishment I just put them through.  The Great Floridian IM takes place on this exact bike course.

At this point I'm just thinking out load and wondering what it takes to make the jump from 1/2 marathon to full marathon and then put it all together on race day for an IM.  I wouldn't be expecting a spectacular finish and I'm under no illusion that this is this optimal time to attempt an IM.  I'd just be doing it to gain race experience and learn what I need to work on for a IM next year (with proper training).  Just wondering if it could realistically be done since I really have no gauge as to what it means to be "ready" for an IM.  

Another option I just discovered is that they have an Aqua-Velo (2.4 swim/112 bike) race on the same day.  I could do this race and when it's over turn in my chip, take off my race number, and hit the marathon course (without race support, of course) and see how it goes. 

Thanks again for all of your replies.

2009-09-18 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2411329

Vero Beach, FL
Daremo - 2009-09-17 10:01 AM Very few people actually run the full marathon during the race.  And many people do an iron distance race without having ever run a marathon.

So if you feel that you can comfortably do the swim and bike (doing them separate is a completely different animal than together in succession) with reasonable effort and keeping yourself in check, then there is not really any reason that you couldn't give it a shot.  Just go into it knowing that your marathon split may not be that great and there may be a lot of walking.

The thing that would be missing is any sort of nutrition "training" for the event.

If you have been training all summer for a HIM, then when is that race?  Have you done it yet???

It's next weekend.  9/27. 

2009-09-18 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2411501

Vero Beach, FL
Gritty - 2009-09-17 10:54 AM

Is your goal to experience the distance and just complete the race?  Sure, knock yourself out.  But, your potential performance could be soooo much better if you trained appropriately for an IM next year.

At this point, yes.
2009-09-18 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2411825

Vero Beach, FL
TriBoilermaker - 2009-09-17 12:40 PM I'm new to the tri-scene or more accurately I'm back into it after 20 years. I suppose because of that I sometimes look at it differently at least from a goal stand point. A lot has changed in 20 years, especially the technology available, but the one thing that hasn't is that a triathlon is a test. It's a test to see how well prepared you are and how you execute a game plan and adapt when your plan doesn't work out. What is so wonderful about this test is that it's a test only you can grade when it's over. If your goal for this test is to simply "pass" it (finish) then I don't think anybody is going to tell you that's unreasonable. If your goal is to be at your best and be able to push hard throughout then it seems more time might be needed. Either way you make the call and the grading when it's done. Just the .02 of one person.

I can somewhat relate with that.  Did my first tri 12 years ago (Carlsbad, CA). 
2009-09-18 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2412045

Vero Beach, FL
Gritty - 2009-09-17 2:08 PM I looked really quick at the Great Floridian website.  Looks like a nice event and a lot cheaper than Ironman, especially for those who signed up really early (like last year).  Out of curiosity, why do they refer to this race as an "Ultra-Distance" Triathlon?

No idea but if I had to guess I'd say it has something to do with not being able to use the brand name "Ironman". 
2009-09-18 11:23 AM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

gsmacleod - 2009-09-17 8:59 AM
GKnight - 2009-09-17 10:56 AM

The Great Floridian is October 24th. Given my current level of training would it be stupid to give this IM a shot?

IMO, yes.
What's the rush?  IM distance events aren't going anywhere so why not find one that you can properly train for instead of jumping into a race at the last minute.

Shane

Not true.  Great Illini dropped the full option this year.  Grand Columbian is gone also after 5 years of races (2004--2008). 

JeepFleeb - 2009-09-17 9:04 AM Could you finish?  Sure.

Could you perform anywhere near your potential?  Doubtful.

Would it be as fun as going into an IM properly trained?  Not a chance.

Again, not true.  Your "potential" reflects what training you've done, not what your "dream performance" might be

A good race strategy aligns race-day execution with training results and fun to bring out whatever "potential" is there.  In some ways, it can be more fun to go into a race like this on a whim as long as you recognize the limitations of your training.  Your own personality is important here.  If you can smile and accept anything and everything the day throws at you, you can have a lot of fun.  Yes, you can suffer all day too because things you didn't anticipate show up (GI issues, muscle cramps, etc. ) so it isn't all roses-n-rainbows. 

Rogillio - 2009-09-17 12:05 PM

It always amazes me at the number of people who advise against an IM because the person might not be able to turn in the best performance of their life or someone's condition or training might not be optimal.

Good Lord, it's just a race!!!  Sign up, train and do the race!  Do the best you can and have fun.  If you think you can do better, then sign up and do the race again. 

If you are only ever gonna do one IM to punch your ticket and get bragging rights then, yeah, maybe wait until you are at the pinnacle of your triathlon career, have a couple of dozen triathlons and marathon under you belt and take your best shot. 

I can tell you this, the overwhelming majority of IM race reports you read on this site are very positive and people had the times of their lives!  And the majory if IM races on this site are first timers.  Very seldom do you see someone's race report that says, "Boy, that sucked!  I wish I had waited till (whatever) before I tried an IM".

I suppose some people look at and IM as some rite of passage....like loosing your virginity or something, but really, it's just a race.  You aren't goona win.  Just do your best, don't get hurt and have fun.  Repeat as necessary.

~Mike

Hey, even if you're one-n-done, if all you care about is getting the ticket punched, time or performance don't matter.  No reason to wait. 

What do YOU see as the advantages to doing the race in 5 weeks?  From my perspective: you're confident you can swim the distance, you're confident you could bike the distance.   You're unlikely to drown, crashing on the bike is riskier than falling down on the run, so you're past the most perilous stages of the race.  (I suppose, statistically, you're more likely to need medical help on or after the run, but that may be more about stubborness, not peril. )  You can like the challenge of IM-distance racing.  You might be going into the race without the overuse injuries a lot of athletes suffer.  You aren't recovering from a bike-crash (but that can still happen).  You'll get some valuable experience if you want to do a second one.  Because you're doing this "last minute" you'll probably suffer less Post-IM malaise than those of us who focused for a year on that first ironman.  You'll be less emotionally wrapped up in the differences between your dream race and the actual race. 

What do YOU see as the disadvantages to doing the race in 5 weeks?  From my perspective:  it can be a major sufferfest (there are a lot of unknowns that you don't have much time to identify and resolve, INCLUDING HOW YOU FEEL AFTER THE HIM).  You may be demoralized when the old and/or fat athletes who have trained all year smoke you (this can happen even with a year of dedicated training).  IMO, the biggest disadvantage of doing the race on 5-weeks notice is that you're missing out on the training journey as you slowly replace fear/uncertainty with confidence.  You don't have much time to savor the changing perspectives and attitudes. 

What would be your race-day strategy to do the race in 5 weeks?  Can you be happy with how you'll have to "race" given your training limitations?  Working through the last three issues (advantages, disadvantages, satisfaction) for yourself will give you your answer.  I did my first tri "on a whim" and I signed up for my Ironman a year ahead of time, so I can appreciate the arguments both ways. 

2009-09-18 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2412070

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
PennState - 2009-09-17 2:17 PM
Rogillio - 2009-09-17 1:57 PM

PennState - 2009-09-17 12:24 PM You have the training to complete it. Truthfully I have no worries as you say you are a good swimmer...so pick whatever you feel is best. I did an I.M. With a long run of 13 miles this year, but I have a little more of a base than some...

Yeah, and it took you like 10 1/2 hrs to finish the IM too!  Geesh.  ;-)

~Mike

it's all about the bike . Btw I do think preparing more for an I M can be more rewarding...but unlike some other posts like the OP's, he is a good swimmer...it's the weak swimmers who are under-trained that make me worry a bit.

Oh, you would have been so so worried about me, then.  Well, there was this difference:  I signed up a year in advance and trained my a$$ off during that year...

And that's the point I'd like to reiterate.  Yes, OP could (probably) finish, and yes the race would (probably) be a lot of fun despite the pain.  (And by the way, the run just hurts, regardless.  "It doesn't get easier you just get faster" -- don't attack me Rogillo!  I'm just quoting...)  BUT, for me at least, the training was a large part of the fun (and, I think, honestly, a large part of why the race was fun--it was the culmination of a long journey.)

But then we ARE talking about fun, here, and I wouldn't presume to tell another adult how he or she should have fun.  OP asked 'could I finish?'  Answer: Yes, you could.

2009-09-18 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2413788

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
McFuzz - 2009-09-18 1:23 PM

What's the rush?  IM distance events aren't going anywhere so why not find one that you can properly train for instead of jumping into a race at the last minute.

Not true.  Great Illini dropped the full option this year.  Grand Columbian is gone also after 5 years of races (2004--2008). 

While individual races may disappear, the distance as a whole isn't going anywhere.  IMO there is no good reason to rush into one with a month to go.

There are more IM distance events in NA than there were ten years ago and even if half of them disappeared this year, there are still many choices available to find a race (IM branded or not) that one could sign up and train for.

Shane

2009-09-18 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2413899

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

gsmacleod - 2009-09-18 12:15 PM

While individual races may disappear, the distance as a whole isn't going anywhere.  IMO there is no good reason to rush into one with a month to go.

There are more IM distance events in NA than there were ten years ago and even if half of them disappeared this year, there are still many choices available to find a race (IM branded or not) that one could sign up and train for.

Shane

Yes, there will be an IM-distance somewhere, but there may be reasons that make Great Floridian attractive to the OP, and there's no guarantee *that* race will be there next year. 

(Nor is there a guarantee that a training injury or other accident doesn't eliminate the possibility for doing the race next year or some other time in the future.

2009-09-18 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2413788

Champion
Alabama

McFuzz - 2009-09-18 11:23 AM

GKnight - 2009-09-17 10:56 AM

The Great Floridian is October 24th. Given my current level of training would it be stupid to give this IM a shot?

IMO, yes.

Shane

JeepFleeb - 2009-09-17 9:04 AM Could you finish?  Sure.

Could you perform anywhere near your potential?  Doubtful.

Would it be as fun as going into an IM properly trained?  Not a chance.

Again, not true.  Your "potential" reflects what training you've done, not what your "dream performance" might be

A good race strategy aligns race-day execution with training results and fun to bring out whatever "potential" is there.  In some ways, it can be more fun to go into a race like this on a whim as long as you recognize the limitations of your training.  Your own personality is important here.  If you can smile and accept anything and everything the day throws at you, you can have a lot of fun.  Yes, you can suffer all day too because things you didn't anticipate show up (GI issues, muscle cramps, etc. ) so it isn't all roses-n-rainbows. 

Rogillio - 2009-09-17 12:05 PM

It always amazes me at the number of people who advise against an IM because the person might not be able to turn in the best performance of their life or someone's condition or training might not be optimal.

Good Lord, it's just a race!!!  Sign up, train and do the race!  Do the best you can and have fun.  If you think you can do better, then sign up and do the race again. 

If you are only ever gonna do one IM to punch your ticket and get bragging rights then, yeah, maybe wait until you are at the pinnacle of your triathlon career, have a couple of dozen triathlons and marathon under you belt and take your best shot. 

I can tell you this, the overwhelming majority of IM race reports you read on this site are very positive and people had the times of their lives!  And the majory if IM races on this site are first timers.  Very seldom do you see someone's race report that says, "Boy, that sucked!  I wish I had waited till (whatever) before I tried an IM".

I suppose some people look at and IM as some rite of passage....like loosing your virginity or something, but really, it's just a race.  You aren't goona win.  Just do your best, don't get hurt and have fun.  Repeat as necessary.

~Mike

Hey, even if you're one-n-done, if all you care about is getting the ticket punched, time or performance don't matter.  No reason to wait. 

What do YOU see as the advantages to doing the race in 5 weeks?  From my perspective: you're confident you can swim the distance, you're confident you could bike the distance.   You're unlikely to drown, crashing on the bike is riskier than falling down on the run, so you're past the most perilous stages of the race.  (I suppose, statistically, you're more likely to need medical help on or after the run, but that may be more about stubborness, not peril. )  You can like the challenge of IM-distance racing.  You might be going into the race without the overuse injuries a lot of athletes suffer.  You aren't recovering from a bike-crash (but that can still happen).  You'll get some valuable experience if you want to do a second one.  Because you're doing this "last minute" you'll probably suffer less Post-IM malaise than those of us who focused for a year on that first ironman.  You'll be less emotionally wrapped up in the differences between your dream race and the actual race. 

What do YOU see as the disadvantages to doing the race in 5 weeks?  From my perspective:  it can be a major sufferfest (there are a lot of unknowns that you don't have much time to identify and resolve, INCLUDING HOW YOU FEEL AFTER THE HIM).  You may be demoralized when the old and/or fat athletes who have trained all year smoke you (this can happen even with a year of dedicated training).  IMO, the biggest disadvantage of doing the race on 5-weeks notice is that you're missing out on the training journey as you slowly replace fear/uncertainty with confidence.  You don't have much time to savor the changing perspectives and attitudes. 

What would be your race-day strategy to do the race in 5 weeks?  Can you be happy with how you'll have to "race" given your training limitations?  Working through the last three issues (advantages, disadvantages, satisfaction) for yourself will give you your answer.  I did my first tri "on a whim" and I signed up for my Ironman a year ahead of time, so I can appreciate the arguments both ways. 

What I want to know is...how the heck do you do this multiple reply thing? 

LOL - the part in red made my day.  Being that 'old fat guy', I'm sure my 14:30 suprised a few younger/leaner guys.

~Mike

Edited by Rogillio 2009-09-18 2:16 PM
2009-09-18 2:12 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
He's gpt M@d posting 5k1Llz.
2009-09-18 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2414144

Champion
Alabama

Daremo - 2009-09-18 2:12 PM He's gpt M@d posting 5k1Llz.

Were your fingers on the wrong row when you typed that?

2009-09-18 2:25 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
You're new to the interweb, aren't you.

(Mad Skillz.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Mad Skillz.jpg (23KB - 5 downloads)
2009-09-18 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2414083

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
McFuzz - 2009-09-18 3:36 PM

Yes, there will be an IM-distance somewhere, but there may be reasons that make Great Floridian attractive to the OP, and there's no guarantee *that* race will be there next year. 

(Nor is there a guarantee that a training injury or other accident doesn't eliminate the possibility for doing the race next year or some other time in the future.

You're right, there is no guarantee the race will be there, an injury won't come into play, family doesn't get in the way, career doesn't get in the way, etc.

Regardless, rushing into an IM is a bad idea IMO.

Shane

2009-09-18 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2414083

Champion
Alabama

McFuzz - 2009-09-18 1:36 PM

gsmacleod - 2009-09-18 12:15 PM

Shane

(Nor is there a guarantee that a training injury or other accident doesn't eliminate the possibility for doing the race next year or some other time in the future. ) 

Man, this is the most profound thing I've read all week!  This is what keeps me getting out there and living life.   This is what caused me to take ski trips to Colorado and learn how to SCUBA dive and take a Mediterrean Cruise and hike Pike's Peak...and complete an ironman.  There are no gaurenttes in life and we never know what the next tide will bring into our lives. 

If an IM is on your list of things you want to do in life, then, if you can do it w/o injury, just do it.  It doesn't have to be a life-changing event.  It doesn't have to be your best possible efffort.  It's just a race!!

~Mike 

{Mike puts away his soapbox and goes for coffee}

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM? Too soon? Rss Feed  

of 2