General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Input on an article on running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-18 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: Input on an article on running
I wrote an article on how to increase difficulty on your jog. I'd love to rewrite with some input here.

Here's the article. http://bit.ly/3aKP7

If you have any suggestions on improving, or more tips on increasing difficulty for a new runner or jogger, please let me know!

Thanks

2009-09-18 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2414407

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Input on an article on running
What is the purpose of your article? Why should new runners want to do anything to make it more difficult? It seems the most difficult thing for many new runners is simply getting out the door to even begin a run.

I'm not sure it's good advice to suggest any form of speedwork to new runners. Stick with the premise of adding miles or time at an easy pace to increase the base. Only after a person has consistently been running a minimum of 15-25 miles/week for at least 6 months should speedwork be introduced. Consistency over a longer period of time will help strengthen muscles and tendons, etc., whereas speedwork will put undue stress on these areas before they are ready for it if done too soon.
2009-09-18 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2414407

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
Subject: RE: Input on an article on running
Is this for a novice - someone who has not run a 5K for example?  Is seems that way and, if so, then I agree with Don that they don't need to make it more difficult except by progressing from run-walks to runs and then progressively longer runs.  Consistency is the most important aspect to running with a novice. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Input on an article on running Rss Feed