General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Hip (Running) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-19 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Sore Hip (Running)
My training includes running four or five times per week averaging four to just under five miles per run.  My pace varies from 7:45 minutes per mile to 8:45 minutes per mile.  I wear Mizuno Wave inspire 5 shoes with orthotic inserts that were selected and fitted by a local Fleet feet manager. 

I do not feel that I am running too hard or too fast, however I have recently started to have some soreness in my right lower hip muscle. The soreness is about four inches below my belt line, directly to the side, slightly wrapping around towards my buttox.   I would describe the point tenderness as a pinching feeling that radiates outward.

For the past couple of weeks the soreness has not gone away completely on off days, however it does seem to flair up during and after runs and even a little after biking and swimming.

Should a take some time off from running, just shorten up the distance or slow down?

Funny when I think about it, can't hardly go shorter than 4.5 miles or slower than 8:45's.  Guess I should take a few days off?

Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by MKAH 2009-09-19 11:57 AM

2009-09-19 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2415160

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Sore Hip (Running)
I had similar symptoms and it turned out to be bursitis.  I'd get yourself to a PT as soon as you can to get whatever it is properly diagnosed.  Then you'll know exactly what the problem is and how to sort it.   Injuries suck - let us know how you go.
2009-09-19 11:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
I'd get it checked out by a doc if you can. I've been dealing with the same kind of pain on and off since April of this year and have another appointment on Monday since it's bothering me again. It's no fun to be injured, but I find that with my hip that the only way I can see improvement is to take it easy when it starts to act up. I'm hoping the doc has a better more long term diagnosis/solution.
2009-09-20 5:15 PM

Maryland
Sore hip can suggest a large number of issues, so +1 to getting it checked out.

I began running in moderate stability shoes (asics 21xx series).  I ended up with a knee injury, suspected from my "severe overpronation" (which is now nearly non-existent when I run).  After 10 weeks of not running and physical therapy, I began running again, then wearing Brooks Adrenaline.  I found myself back in PT with horrible hip pain.  I was thinking the worst, especially with how long my knee injury put me out.  What caused it? Too much stability!  Go figure.
2009-09-20 6:36 PM

User image

Modesto, California
While taking time off is probably the best treatment as well as a visit to a doctor to get an opinion, understand that the causing factor may still be in play. Some things you may consider as the cause:
Bike fit
Run Shoes
Work shoes
Run surface
Run volume
Run form

Hope you get it figured out, it nagged me for a whole season wrecking two races and taking many weeks off trying to train and figure it out.
2009-09-20 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2416434

User image

Veteran
, Washington
Kelly728 - 2009-09-20 3:15 PM Sore hip can suggest a large number of issues, so +1 to getting it checked out.

I began running in moderate stability shoes (asics 21xx series).  I ended up with a knee injury, suspected from my "severe overpronation" (which is now nearly non-existent when I run).  After 10 weeks of not running and physical therapy, I began running again, then wearing Brooks Adrenaline.  I found myself back in PT with horrible hip pain.  I was thinking the worst, especially with how long my knee injury put me out.  What caused it? Too much stability!  Go figure.

Same type thing here...started running, had major PF and shin issues that continued through 2 pairs of Adrenaline's..switched to a neutral shoe (Defyance...basically the Adrenaline without the stability) and it was a bit better...I'm now running in lightweight trail runners (New Balance 904s) with a small amount of stability and things feel wayyyy better.  I'm pretty well sold on the whole 'less is more' with shoes...

2009-09-20 8:09 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
You just described the symptoms I had early this year.  Obviously I'm not saying it is the same thing, but in my case it was an IT band problem (I'm pretty sure, but not 100%).  I did two stretches quite frequently (2-3 times a day), along with carefully watching when I ran (and stopping when it was getting too painful) and it went away.

I should add that I've heard it said that when you do these stretches, you are not REALLY stretching your IT Band, which is so strong that basically it is unstretchable.  You are stretching the muscles around it.  They loosen up, and PULL on the IT Band less, and that's what solves the problem.  This explanation make sense to me, but I've never looked into it much.

FWIW, I found this stretch and this stretch (#9) not at all helpful.  Perhaps they are focused on IT pain closer to the knee.  The ones that I found useful (can't find links now), were the one where you lie on your side, bottom leg straight, top leg bent at the knee 90 degrees and 'swung over' your top leg (so the knee is basically pointing he same direction as your nose), then flatten your shoulders to introduce a bit of spinal twist and stretching at the hip; and the one that in yoga is called (I think) supine pigeon.  Lie on back, left foot flat on floor, bring right foot up and place behind left knee, then draw right foot closer to chest.  (BTW, these descriptions are NOT meant to be enough to show you how to do them, just enough to identify them from a better description.)

Edited by Experior 2009-09-20 8:32 PM
2009-09-20 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
NYC
Get it checked by a sports doc. Sounds like bursitis, but let a doc tell you that.

Regardless, ice it 2-3 times a day for 15 minutes. Learn some stretches for the hip flexors, hamstrings, glutes, and IT band. A stretch rope really helps.

If it is any kind of inflammation such as bursitis, it's an overuse injury and continued training will make it worse. Focus on your swim for a little while and back off on the running and biking if they make it worse.

P.S. I was treated in PT for several months and it didn't go away until I learned a really good glute stretch. Try different things until you find what works.

Good luck!
2009-09-21 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Get it checked out by a doc.  You might need an MRI to diagnose, but there are too many possibilities of what it might be (stress fracture, muscle stain, joint issue, etc.) - and each possibility brings with it a different course of treatment.  Without a diagnosis, you're stabbing around in the dark, and might take a course of action that could actually make things worse.
2009-09-21 9:28 AM

User image

Regular
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
I'm not sure what you have but I can guess at the cause.  Looking at your logs, you ran for half of your 2009 total miles in the month of August.  It looks like you really stepped up your training but you probably ramped up a little too quickly and got injured for your efforts.

I always hear about the 10% rule when increasing volume.  You may have found out the hard way why this rule exists.
2009-09-21 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl
Must be contagious.  I woke up at 4am with horrible hip pain....still having issues putting weight on my right leg.  Cant explain and no idea where it came from, just want it to go away!

2009-09-21 6:55 PM

User image

Regular
Port St. Lucie
It sounds like bursitis/hip flexor issues. My hip plagued me nearly all season.  My piriformis would cramp up (from your hip into your butt) on top of it all. Two cortisone shots, and swimming and yoga helped. Continued running most decidedly did not help!

ALSO, I have to say, 20 min of ice on the hip directly after the workout helped tremendously too.
2009-09-21 9:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.  I've got a similar issue on the outside of my right hip but I'm running a lot more than OP (marathon in 3 wks) and I would say it's more of a sensation than pain.  I'll try some of these stretches that were mentioned.
2009-09-22 7:17 AM

Bluffton, SC
I'm going through this as well. Let me caution you that I'm just sharing my experience and what worked for me, may or may not work for you.

4-6 weeks ago I started experiencing similar pain in my hip. I think it stemmed from tightness in my glutes and hip flexors. It started after a long weekend of riding, probably with too many of those miles in the aerobars. The pain went away mostly between sessions, but it flared up on me when running. I took one week off from running. THIS DID NOT HELP. The next running session i wasn't more than a quarter mile out and the pain was there. I felt great before going out, i only ran two miles and quit. The next day i stretched it out as much as possible. 4 or 5 times for 5 minutes each time. I ran four miles that night, with only minor pain. Since then i have been running 10-20 miles a week, with only minor pain. The flutter kick when i'm swimming makes it hurt more than anything. SO i don't do that. Biking hasn't bothered me.

This is just my experience, but if i would of gone to see a doctor, I think his remedy would of been take two weeks off. Then come back and see me if it doesn't feel right. I hate doctors that suggest this and I can't find a good one. Don't train if the pain gets worse, but if it improves and you go easier on it, keep training.
2009-09-22 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow,

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies.  I am due for a physical this year so I will go in and have that done right away.  We'll see what he says about my hip. Also, I have taken three for four days off running and my hip feels good again.

Thanks again.
2009-09-22 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
I have a similar situation only my pain is lower than the hip more into my butt, piriformis issues.  My motto after a run, FOAM ROLL, ICE, ADVIL.  After my first tri I couldn't even begin to run the pain was so bad.  After a few sessions with my chiropractor who specializes in Active Release Therapy, I am now able to run 4 miles.  Mind you I still hurt but it's not the intense stabbing pain that I had in the beginning. Anyway, get it checked out good luck, hope you are back running soon.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Hip (Running) Rss Feed