United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 17s
Overall Rank = 47/175
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 8/25
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, ate some instant oatmeal and some coffee. Drank a little water.
Event warmup:

Just basically ran a bit, and stretched alot. Really not much of a warm up, but I tend to never warm up.
Swim
  • 11m 30s
  • 874 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started really good, got around the first bouy and started to cruise. Now when I signed up for this race, I swear it said it was a 500 meter swim. Then we get there and everyone was talking about how it was 800 meters. It didn't look too bad from the beach, but once I rounded the first buoy I knew I was in for it. I just got into a rythm and swam. Unfortunately, I got stuck behind a wall of about 5 guys from the wave before me, and just had an awful time passing. Tried a couple times, actually got elbowed in the face and goggles started leaking. I honestly think this was the hardest and most physical swim I've done so far, simply because I couldn't pass very well, and I just kept getting hit by someone whom I think was drafting me. It was harder than the half swim at Muncie. Once I rounded the last buoy I put my head down and finally got past most of the guys in the previous wave. I won my AG but I really was not very pleased overall. I didn't feel really great coming out of the water. Probably because I expended so much energy absorbing hits.
What would you do differently?:

Well, I'm torn here. I did win my AG, but I really trained for a 500 not an 800. I probably would have hit the pool a little harder had I known it was going to be 800 meters. All in all, it was ok, I think 8th overall, so not too bad.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Holy crap 1st in AG T1 !!!! Nice.

Nothing, completely happy with this.
Bike
  • 54m 23s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike course. I liked it. It did have some killer hills, but I've been training for hills. I really only got passed by a handful of people. I was actually really pleased. My mph average seems pretty low, but I was firmly front of the middle of the pack, which is huge for me. I have really been trying to get better on the bike. This really gives me some motivation for the winter. I was so happy with the bike!!

Just bike more. Which is my plan for the whole winter.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Another sub minute transition. Very pleased.

Nothing
Run
  • 28m 52s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, so I've not been running a ton due to a knee injury I suffered at my HIM I did. So the whole time I was waiting on my knee to start killing me. It never did, I ran the whole way, and did not have a problem with my knee. However, I fully believe that this kept me from running at a pace I should have been running. I took it way too easy the first half, and was able to nearly sprint the last 100 yards. I had way too much left. I just mentally kept waiting on my knee to start in with the stabbing pain. There were also some wicked hills. I saw a ton of walking. I was pleased overall. I know I could have went a lot harder, but the knee held me back mentally

Just need to run more and get healthy
Post race
Warm down:

Eh, ate some stuff they had there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nagging knee problem for the last 3 months limited my run training.

Event comments:

I did really like the race. It was a great end to my first tri season. Really gives me something to build on. I was a little disapointed with the age groups. I was in a 30-39 group. I took 8th in that division, however, if it would have been the regular 35-39, I would have gotten 3rd place. Still happy though. I mean I still did do that. Just no hardware. I like these Bloomington area tris, lots of hills. Good stuff on the bike.

Last updated: 2009-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:30 | 874 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 8/175
Performance: Average
Suit: 2 xu elite tri suit
Course: Triangle course, looked short from the beach, but my time indicates that it was in fact 800 meters.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:23 | 16 miles | 17.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/25
Overall: 72/175
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Hills some steep, some rolling. I enjoyed it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good