General Discussion Race Reports! » Daybreak Tri - Salt Lake Triathlon Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Daybreak Tri - Salt Lake Triathlon Series - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
South Jordan, Utah
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 48s
Overall Rank = 286/329
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 35/43
Pre-race routine:

Little bit of coffee, a peanut butter and honey sandwich, about an hour before the swim start. Probably should have had more to drink, either coffee or water, or something else.
Event warmup:

Huddled in the women's bathroom near the hand dryer with about 6 other women. :)
Swim
  • 15m 38s
  • 75 yards
  • 20m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Time includes a 75 yard swim AND a 1.2 mile run back to the transition area. The swim felt weird at first, I've been doing only OWS for months now--weird to be back where I can see what's around me, and not have a wetsuit on! Hit my rhythm by the end of the first 25 yards, then ended up passing a friend in the last 25 yards. :) And I didn't GET passed by anybody. The run was ok, I took it easy, walked a fair amount. I just wanted to save something for the bike. I also don't think I've ever experienced the feeling of water rolling down my legs and into my shoes before.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

For some unknown reason I still take my sweet time in transition...
I did run with my bike, though. It felt really good, not terribly uncoordinated, which is a definite improvement over past races. :)
What would you do differently?:

Hurry? Not be out of breath when I get there?
Bike
  • 49m 51s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a good day on the bike, really. I dropped my chain once, about a third of the way up the main hill on the course. I managed to get it back on without having to stop, which is good. I had already stopped several times, just due to fatigue and the inability to get a good breath in. Overall, I had to stop about 6 times on this bike course. Ugh. I almost turned around about 5 miles into it and went home. I am glad that I didn't though. I wanted to just curl up in the fetal position on the side of the road and cry by the time I got to the turnaround. I had used my inhaler, had tried to drink some water, and had cramping in one hamstring and both inner thighs. Thank heavens for my fellow racers and my fellow BT'ers. Words of encouragement kept going through my head (as well as being shouted at me), and kept me pedaling up the hills. Once I hit the turn around, I just opened it up, and cruised down the hills as fast as I could. I hit 39 plus MPH. When I got back to transition I was still going 21 MPH. I felt good! And my head was back in the triathlon. :) My actual riding time was 42 minutes.

Sleep more the night before. Train more consistently. Hydrate better all week. Eat a better breakfast.
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Felt good coming into transition. Sat down to change my shoes, saw a friend running out of transition and all I could think was "I have to catch her so I have someone to run with!!".
Run
  • 37m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Did about a 1:1 run: walk most of the time. The last mile was torture. It all melted away once I rounded the last corner before the finish line, and saw my hubby. I sprinted to the finish line. :)

Wear my watch! Or a garmin, maybe (gotta get one first, though...). I really can't gauge my pace after I've been on the bike, especially when the bike didn't go very well physically...
Post race
Event comments:

I need to drink better before/during/after the race. And sleep more the night before, too. Something just felt off today, from the time I got up. Not bad, just not quite right. All in all it was a fun venue, I would definitely like to do this race again next year.

Last updated: 2009-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:38 | 75 yards | 20m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 0/329
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:40
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:51 | 12 miles | 14.44 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, with false flats (uphill on the way out) and two hills just before the turnaround. The road was rough in spots, complete with vertical cracks, no shoulder on the road, and a 6 inch dropoff from the pavement to the dirt/weeds on the side of the road (which of course I managed to ride off of...).
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:03 | 03.11 miles | 11m 55s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Daybreak Tri - Salt Lake Triathlon Series Rss Feed