General Discussion Race Reports! » Tatton Park Triathalon - Super Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tatton Park Triathalon - Super Sprint - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Knutsford, Cheshire
United Kingdom
My Triathlon Limited
Sunny
Total Time = 53m 21s
Overall Rank = 26/77/124
Age Group = 17-24 Male
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6.45 and showered, had glass of water and went for breakfast. Ate cereal, piece of toast and fruit. drank plenty of juice and etc
Event warmup:

Stretched on the land, swam to the starting point and swam up and down a bit.
Swim
  • 10m 17s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wasn't sure how i was going to do, so i decided to start around the back / middle of the wave. Did breaststroke for about 40m before going into crawl when it was a bit more spread out. Managed to keep colliding and pretty much going on top of people! It was freakingly weedy at the start, probably due to the fact that 5 other waves had gone before us. Due to the shorter course than the other waves, we caught up with the womens sprint race around the 3rd bouy, which lead to even more confusion and having no clue where in the group i was. it was around then i started to lose my swiming technique and kept drifting off towards my left, at one point getting nudged by a canoe to point me in the right direction
What would you do differently?:

i need to learn to breathe both sides properly, it really hurts my neck on the right side, and it means that i tend to veer off to the left on my swimming.
Transition 1
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

Struggled to get socks and shoes on, the run from the swim was muddy and then grassy and just made it near impossible. Also think i should probably swim without the top on next time. Long way from water to Transition, and then too many people blocking the entire road at the mount line.

Swim without top sounds good, as i dont have to stuff stuff into my back pockets on the way out
Bike
  • 18m 59s
  • 9.5 kms
  • 30.03 km/hr
Comments:

now the bit i love! cycling is the way forward for me lol.
I got out of transition, and then people decided to try and mount up around 5 abreast accross the mount line itself, so couldn't sneak in front and get a running start on them. Enjoyed the cycle, apart from one bit where i got stuck behind a bit of traffic turning at a crossroad (on the only road that wasn't shut typically)
caned the ride, it went smoothely, i caught my breathe back, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not much. Maybe go slightly slower? Maybe eat something on ride or t2? (see later)
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Ran from the dismount line with bike, before getting caught in congestion and racked bike fine. took helmet off, gloves picked up water bottle and emptied pockets. Got move on

get a saddle bag so i dont have ot carry stuff like a spare.
Run
  • 18m 1s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 07m 13s  min/km
Comments:

I fail so miserably at running. I got out of the transition, high fived some sponsorship girls who were cheering me on then got up the hill and got a stitch. Ouch. i forced myself to keep going, with counting to 30 of running then doing the same walking, in an attempt to make sure i kept going. It hurt so bad after the stitch, and my back was slightly sore from the bike too. I think a lack of training may be to blame, as well my size doesn't work well for running , i found that the other competitors are very encouraging and this gave me such a lift at times.

Train a lot more for running. Maybe eat something before i leave t2
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, watched everyone else finish. Started chatting to some of the crowd, there were a bunch of girls with all their mates finishing with big fluffy signs, really encouraging the runnings and being very friendly:) Was nice to see and talk to them !

What limited your ability to perform faster:

most likely its all down to my weight, but it partly boiled down to not enough run training

Event comments:

can't comment on drink stations as the super sprint course chopped and shifted around a lot of the course so i only saw one.

Also thanks to everyone on bt who has helped me in some way over the last 6 months, without you i would be clueless!
Some mentions below :)
Super Cat
Yanti
Helen
Wurkit Girl
Rudy
Saling
OnTheRun
Triathlynne
All of the Team skinny and anyone else i havn't mentioned!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:17 | 400 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 24/77/124
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes.
Course: Round the 3 bouys, 100m apart , 100 m from last bouy to end bouys, wade from bouys to ramp, 200yard run to transition
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0C / 0F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:18:59 | 9.5 kms | 30.03 km/hr
Overall: 8/77/124
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very nice course, decent roads for hte most part, last 1k on a recently gravvelled road with just a safe strip down the middle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:01 | 02.5 kms | 07m 13s  min/km
Overall: 64/77/124
Performance: Bad
Course: "Rugged" Very deathyl course, rough road and grass to start off with then through a woodland bit with roots and all sorts everywhere
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-20 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Subject: Tatton Park Triathalon - Super Sprint
btw i put 77/125 on the competitors as 77 finishers, but 125 people were registered, and the site doesn't make it clear how many DNF, DQ etc.

Edited by SteveyD 2009-09-20 9:53 AM

2009-09-20 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2415998

User image

MotoQueen
Subject: RE: Tatton Park Triathalon - Super Sprint
Awesome job for your first race.  Second in age group.  Darn get rid of that other dude and you could have had first.  LOL
Really though, super race!  Way to go dude!
2009-09-20 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2416272

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Grats on your first race! Damn I wish I could grab second in my AG
2009-09-20 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2416393

User image

Expert
Cambridge
rlejeune - 2009-09-20 10:54 PM Grats on your first race! Damn I wish I could grab second in my AG

to be fair, it was 2nd out of 3 though!
the 1st placer was the race winner too.
2009-09-20 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2416554

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Great job out there! (Shhhh.... Don't tell people it was 2nd out of 3. Just say, "Look at my medal! I got 2nd place!")

Great race! CONGRATULATIONS!

2009-09-20 9:38 PM
in reply to: #2415998

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
nice one, really enjoyed the report - water weed, bleuch.  2nd in your AG is brilliant!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tatton Park Triathalon - Super Sprint Rss Feed