Racing Underground
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 25s
Overall Rank = 193/539
Age Group = M4549
Age Group Rank = 17/224
Pre-race routine:

Usual plain pasta dinner (tortellini alfredo) the night before. Packed the bag, did the checklist, added what I'd forgotten, pre-loaded the car, checked the bike out.
Up early, had the same/usual breakfast, headed over to Cherry Creek SP. On the radio, "Start Me Up". Arrived a little before 6, no waiting at packet pickup, then hoofed down to the transition area in the park. I should get a backpack so's to ride it instead of slinging the duffel bag. Set up in transition at the bike end, saw MarkD(2nd in AG) and discovered Kathleen(2nd in her AG)was in the next rack, great to meet them both. Doug Kretzmann(5th in AG) arrived a little later and racked nearby, talked with him a bit as well. Also saw Susan doing the body marking later before the race. All good company to keep, kept me from mentally imploding like I tend towards.
Event warmup:

Walked around early talking to Mark, stretched, went to the water to visualize the swim and also paced/jogged through the beach to T1 mat twice.
Got in swam a few minutes, adjusted the wetsuit where it felt binding, then wait for the waves to go.

Swim
  • 11m 50s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think I found my spot for OWS. Set up and started on the far right, and went wide on the run in. Dove a little early and started to swim, maybe this gave me a few feet on the maelstrom. More important, staying right (since I breathe left) enabled me to watch the pack, keep within reasonable distance while staying out of the fray, and stay on course better.
New Tricks: 1- I don't have to sight as much if I can spot another swimmer at my pace whose doing it frequently as he's probably well on course, esp. if in the pack; 2- after the 1st buoy I figured out the guys to my immediate left were at my same pace (DUH!), so paused for a stroke and got behind one to draft; stayed here until the turn into the beach. Might have made me a little slower, but saved a lot of swim energy in the process.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I should do all future OWS's this way. It all seems so obvious now, in hindsight...
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Good gravy this was a long way from the beach to the bike! felt pretty good, but even this run was a slowness highlight. Just inside the mat, Douglas passed me and gave a shout, then about halfway Mark did the same.

Actually practice T1, I'm just not sure how I can get the suit off over my feet any faster
Bike
  • 36m 8s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a little pain in the left quadriceps early, but fixing gear/cadence resolved it. Enjoyed the ride, might have done better here if I'd pre-ridden the course to know what was coming

pre-ride the course to know what will be coming
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

The cone for the turn into the transition area came faster than I expected so had a shorter distance to get out of the shoes. In the process I tore the cleat edge on my right shoe, have to get that replaced this week. Also mental note, check shoes the week before for problems!
I almost racked my bike front end, and while I was rotating it w/my back to the rack someone clipped the bike on the other side & it went down - a-hoole spectator then yelled at me to pick it up, I responded 'I didn't knock it down and I'm a kinda busy!' There seemed to be lots of bike carnage (and volunteers picking them up) as I ran out, does this correspond to the large number of mtn and commuter bikes?

More mental notes on the way out on bike or before the race about where to start de-shoeing
Run
  • 31m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I am still slow. And the left lower back was there to announce its normal discomfort. This, however, was the 1st and only tri this year (since April, really) my feet had no discomfort. woot!
Getting my legs going off the bike again felt like getting a loaded coal train moving; starting out up that little hill was mental too. By the time the course started on the gravel path at Dayton, the legs and feet had picked up - a little. I broke stride a few times to drink from the Nathan pack, which seems to always provide a little rejuvenation - probably also mental.
At the 3 mile marker Douglas was standing there and ran me in the last tenth with encouraging words, what a great boost to finish the race!

Keep focusing on improving my running while keeping legs and feet healthy
Post race
Warm down:

Walked down to transition, had a water, then some gatorade, got the massage, generally wandered about cooling down

What limited your ability to perform faster:

running sills, or rather the obvious lack thereof :)

Event comments:

no fluid station on the bike course seemed odd, glad I carry my own
Not much post race doings, and I didn't win the zipp wheels in the raffle.

Last updated: 2009-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:50 | 820 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/224
Overall: 50/539
Performance:
Suit: Blue70 Reaction
Course: OWS ______ counterclockwise swim from the west swim beach \ /
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:08 | 12.43 miles | 20.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/224
Overall: 213/539
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Out and back, keyhole course on the CCSP roads
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:54 | 03.11 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/224
Overall: 389/539
Performance: Average
Course: Paved and gravel trail counter-clockwise loop, plus a little bit of road
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-20 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon

2009-09-20 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2416045

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon

Nice work out there.  Hope it was fun?  Great to meet you.  THat run will get better!  Keep at it and watch the d3 videos!

2009-09-22 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Man you're getting there!  The swim and bike are fast and that run will come...
2009-09-22 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Nice job out there, Steve. That run is a challenge- I did that race last year. I hate coming out of T2 and having to run straight uphill. Just keep the feet healthy and run a lot is what I'm finding really helps. Something about being strong swimmers makes us naturally dis-inclined to good running
2009-09-22 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
And that was a great bike time! I ride out there all the time and those roads are terrible!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed