United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 15s
Overall Rank = 552/619
Age Group = F Novice
Age Group Rank = 52/73
Pre-race routine:

Day before the race I didn't do any official training, since I rode my bike to and from the Badger game. On race morning I woke up at 5:00 and had a packet of oatmeal, a banana and Gatorade for breakfast. I didn't feel too nervous at that point and the food felt fine in my stomach. At the race, I checked in and found a good spot for my bike-there were two big balloons on the rack! I set up my tranistion pretty much the way my book said to. Then I just tried not to freeze before the race started (it was still in the 50's at that point.)
Event warmup:

Taking off my sweats and walking to the starting point was my warm up. I decided since I was going to do the swim slow and steady, that would count as my warm up.
Swim
  • 10m 11s
  • 481 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started in the back corner of my wave, but ended more towards the middle. Right when I walked in my water my heart rate shot way up. The max water depth was about 4'. None of us were really sure when to stop walking and start swimming, so I started just a little before the turn. I really struggled with breathing and had to keep switching to the breast stroke. It was a little choppier than what I had practiced with, but I think being nervous kind of threw me off. For whatever reason, I wasn't very good at exhaling while my head was down and I felt like I didn't have much energy. Weird. However, I got through it fine and finished right about where I thought I would. The water was a lot warmer than the air, so it felt nice.
What would you do differently?:

Get more OWS in, especially in rougher waters. Maybe wear a wetsuit so I'm more buoyant.
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

I had all my gear set up nicely, so I didn't have any problems with it. Drying off my feet and putting on socks took a while. And putting on bike gloves also added a fair amount of time, but I was happy I had them on. I kind of forgot to dry off, but oh well.

Maybe try going without socks to see how it feels, but I don't think my feet would like it.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 35s
  • 15 miles
  • 11.17 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good going into the bike, but I still had to stop and walk up the very end of the first hill. Going into the race, that was the one thing I didn't want to do, but I was going so slooooowly up the hill and tons of other people were walking up it, so I decided to just walk it. Since I was just trying to finish the race, why should I waste all my energy on the very first hill? I did not have to walk up any other hills and while I did the course very slowly, I was happy with my performance. Especially up the last really steep hill right before you turn back in the park.

Do more hill work so I don't have to walk up any hills! Invest in some clipless pedals.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

I biked in my running shoes, so there wasn't a whole lot to do here. The only thing that slowed me down was taking my gloves off, but again, I was happy to have them on the ride and I think they were worth the extra time. Emily's yelling also made me laugh a lot and slowed me down a bit, but again, I was definitely happy she was there being ridiculous!

Nothing.
Run
  • 28m 8s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so pumped up after seeing my cheer section (Brad, my mom, Jim, Emdizzle, Kara, Falafel, Papa Wong and Peggy) that I started the run way too fast. When I noticed how fast I was going, I slowed it down to about normal pace. My calves were super tired during the run. Brad thinks maybe I had my seat too high on the ride and was having to use my calves. In any case, I think the run went very well. Nothing too eventful.

You can always train more, I suppose!
Post race
Warm down:

Just stretched a bit and drank a bottle of water before my cheer section found me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just not enough training.

Event comments:

I had a very fun time on my first tri! The course was beautiful, the water wasn't cold like everyone had told me it would be and the hills-well, the hills still sucked. I was very happy my friends and family came to support me, too. (Complete with homemade signs and everything!) The weather was awesome, too. Overall, this was a great challenge for me and I'm so happy I finished it with a smile on my face!

Last updated: 2009-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:11 | 481 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/73
Overall: 0/619
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Simple straight line down the shore
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:02
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:20:35 | 15 miles | 11.17 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Hilly, hilly, hilly!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:08 | 03 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Course: Out and back through the campgrounds, with a couple slight hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes