Adirondack Triathlon Club
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 54m 58s
Overall Rank = 384/394
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 26/26
Pre-race routine:

Arrived early for packet pick-up. Set up transition, then hung around talking to the other participants sharing the "special" rack. (Hybrids and mountain bikes didn't fit in the regular rack.) Mostly we discussed how cold it was, when our teeth weren't chattering too much to talk. It was the first olympic tri for most of us (me included), so we were bonding!
Event warmup:

Put on wetsuit and more teeth chattering.
Swim
  • 41m 11s
  • 1584 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

My first tri was sprint distance in the same lake. I had a terrible swim that race, and it took me 30 minutes to go 750m. Since it only took me 41 minutes to go double the distance, I was really happy with my swim. I didn't panic, even though it was very windy and the waves were big. At least the water was warm - almost 20 degrees warmer than the air! I think the wetsuit helped more out of the water than in.
What would you do differently?:

I really need to work on swimming in a straight line. I was all over the place. I know I could make up more time if I wasn't zig-zagging. I'm really happy with my improvement in the open water swim, though.
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

Because it was so cold, I needed to take time to dry off and put a long-sleeved top over my tri suit. I'm really glad I did, or I would have frozen in the wind on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 58m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 12.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I injured my wrist a month ago and haven't trained on the bike at all since then. The weight in my wrist when I'm on the handlebars is still painful, and so is shifting. I was also on my hybrid, and knew between the lack on training and the bike that I couldn't compete. So I considered it a nice ride, and just enjoyed the scenery. I was so excited about my swim that I didn't care when I got passed. The lack of training really showed on the hills. My thighs were burning! Then I dropped my chain in the middle of the biggest hill. Ugh. At least it wasn't a tire. I got the chain back on in a couple of minutes, then did the rest of the race with bike grease on my hands.

Train. And get my road bike ready to use. And drink more water.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Since I road in my running shoes, all I had to do was take off my helmet. It had finally warmed up, so I took off my long sleeved top, took a swig of water and went. I was 7th in my age group for T2, so I'm happy with that.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 09m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I paid for the long, slow bike ride at the beginning of the run. I walked the first hill and it took until the end of mile 2 before I felt like I hit my stride. This was slower than my training pace, but I was okay with it.

My legs were pretty tired after the hills on the bike. The lack of bike training effected my run more than anything else.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged to the porta-potty.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training.

Event comments:

I can't say enough about the volunteers on the course. They were awesome! As a BOPer, I am very appreciative of the people who are still out there cheering for the stragglers. The Lake George police did a great job controlling the traffic. I never had to slow down for traffic at an intersection. The course was clearly marked, but if you missed the marks there were volunteers at every turn pointing us in the right direction. The race was very well organized. I wish I could comment on the post-race party, but I had to get home for a volunteer meeting for the Adirondack marathon which took place in my town the next day. I was glad I had volunteered, so I had a chance to pay it forward after the receiving so much support from the volunteers in Lake George.

Last updated: 2009-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:11 | 1584 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/26
Overall: 361/394
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: Out and back counterclockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:37
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:58:33 | 24.85 miles | 12.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/26
Overall: 390/394
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Hills! I swear it went uphill the whole way.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:09:26 | 06.21 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/26
Overall: 366/394
Course: 3 mile loop done twice. Two hills, the rest fairly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-20 5:55 PM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
Subject: Lake George Triathlon

2009-09-21 6:46 AM
in reply to: #2416492

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Lake George Triathlon
Congrats on finishing your first Oly!  Impressive improvement in the swim department!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake George Triathlon Rss Feed