United States
72F / 22C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 04m 55s
Overall Rank = 136/210
Age Group = beginner
Age Group Rank = 16/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30a.m. Made some eggs and oatmeal, watched some tv and got ready. Drove up to campus, unloaded and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Just sat around and talked to my roommate and some of the other guys. Time Trial start on the swim, still haven't been back in the pool much after breaking my collarbone, so I was a bit timid and seeded myself pretty far back.
Swim
  • 07m 23s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty poor performance on my part. I never could get a steady pace going... just need to get back in the pool and practice some more. It didn't help that I couldn't extend my left arm 100%
What would you do differently?:

Not break my collarbone :)
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Transition went pretty well. I took a bit of time getting everything together and out of transition, but I wasn't feeling up to any flying mounts.

Still need to practice my T1 a bit, but it went okay.
Bike
  • 27m 28s
  • 7 miles
  • 15.29 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where things went badly. Wet roads as I started... and where the runners/bikers ended up on the same road (my second lap) I completely thought one of the helpers was telling my to turn right when in fact she was talking to a runner behind me to the side! I brake hard and take a hard fall over my handlebars, AND ONTO MY BROKEN COLLARBONE! I actually laugh at myself for being such a dummy... figure out I'm alright and the bike's alright, collect what's left of my dignity and get back on the course. The rest of that lap goes as poorly as expected... I'm bleeding pretty bad from my elbow and wrist, I just want to finish at this point. First lap I was averaging 22mph... so I really took it slow the second half.

I needed to check the course out the day before... and I really need to get some new brakes / tires. NOT WRECK!
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

I take a bit extra time in T2 to try to stem the bleeding on my elbow. I pour some water on it and decide I'll live (although my tri suit is now red instead of blue/gray! haha) My mom has a look of horror on her face as I come into T2. I throw on my shoes and take off.

Not much, did as well as expectable.
Run
  • 25m
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually felt really good on the run, considering the entire left side of my body was on fire. To the girl that went to high five me as we were running, SORRY, I wasn't being an @$$, I just figured you didn't want blood all over you! And to the girl following me up that last hill, I'm glad you could follow my drops of blood up! You gave me the laugh I needed to make it :) Thanks!

Well, I've only had about 3 runs since coming off the couch from surgery, so I can't be too upset with my time.
Post race
Warm down:

One of the Volunteers was nice enough to find me a first aid kit and help me disinfect / bandage my road rash. Thanks! And thanks to the guy who was beside me in transition who had some disinfectant spray! After that I assured my mother that I would live, found my friends, and decided to leave and get some food instead of hanging around in the rain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My collarbone surgery 7 weeks ago keeping me on the couch. That and wrecking at the beginning of lap2 of the bike.

Event comments:

Separating the Run and Bike course!

Seriously, It was 100% my fault, but it was somewhat confusing when somebody is yelling "RIGHT!"

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:23 | 300 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/210
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Pool, 25m under the ropes and down the next lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:27:28 | 07 miles | 15.29 mile/hr
Overall: 147/210
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: The course was a little rough, and mixing the runners in with the bikers proved to be a bit more hazardous than I had hoped. Biking is my strong suit... but I had a bit of trouble today.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:00 | 03.2 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 0/210
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty scenic. Nice, not too bad on hills or rough terrain. I actually enjoyed this course quite a bit.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-20 7:31 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Volunterr Sprint Triathlon

2009-09-21 1:58 AM
in reply to: #2416622

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Volunterr Sprint Triathlon

Congratulations on a successful comeback from your collarbone injury. Sorry to hear that life threw you another challenge to overcome on your first race back.... But... way to go on overcoming!!
I hope that your injuries ( and dignity) all heal well Smile  (and that your mom will come out to watch and cheer you on again...)

2009-09-21 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2416622

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Volunterr Sprint Triathlon
thanks! My poor mom, I tell her she shouldn't even come watch cause I know all she does is worry

I got a consolation prize when she told me she was proud of me finishing while bleeding all over the place haha.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Volunterr Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed