United States
DRC Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 38s
Overall Rank = 152/241
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Had my typical Oatmeal with whey protein. I tried to eat some additional raisin bran but my body wasn't feeling it. Slightly nervous this morning, most likely due to the fact that several friends were completing their first tri at this race. Slept horribly the night before. Woke up close to every ten minutes all night long.
Event warmup:

None. Yeah I am getting ready bad at not warming up before a race. Somehow talking to friends just seems like more fun and I run out of time.
Swim
  • 09m 48s
  • 451 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had my goggles knocked off in the first 8-10 strokes of my wave start. took only a few seconds to fix that and restarted.

Between the first and second buoy on a straight away, I kept getting kicked in the face by a swimmer who I could not get around. Every time I would go right to pass, she would go right. Then I would go left to pass, she would go left. I finally swung wide right and passed her at the second buoy. I ran into a man from the previous wave at the third buoy who seemed to just be resting in the water. Just seems like it was my day to run into others.

But overall still a great swim. Sighting was good and I was pleased with my performance.
What would you do differently?:

Again, I need to push more. I am capable of better pace that I achieved. Need to work more on speed work before the next tri.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I decided to put mt race belt on in T1 this time instead of T2. I am not sure I enjoyed having my number flapping around during the bike ride.

Had to stop my adjust my sock after putting the bike shoes on because of a minor irritation. Thought I fixed it but instead by the end of the race ended up with a tiny cut on my ankle. Oh well.

Overall this was a decent transition. I kinda felt all over the place but not really sure that anything went wrong or slow. I need to work on speed but looking at the numbers, I was decent compared to the crowd.

I think I might put an additional bottle on my bike next time around so that I don't worry about drinking in T1. I typically keep heed in my transition area and not on my bike. (Water only on bike) next time I might keep both on the bike and call it a day.
Bike
  • 41m 29s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.36 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was tough for me because of the two 180 degree turnarounds. I am happy that I would able to ride the course several weeks ago so that I knew what to expect. However, the turnarounds still slowed me way down. The one positive part of this course is that the two turnarounds allow you to see who is in front of and behind you and you can cheer for them!

The course was an open course but I don't believe I ever saw a single car on the road. Great coverage by local law enforcement.

This is my fastest pace yet on my bike so I was definitely pleased with my effort. I should have used my second chain ring on some of the hills to save my legs but instead stayed in the big chainring. I downshifted to the second chairring toward the end for about 1 minute to help spin out my legs to get ready for the run.

I placed leap frog with about 2-3 women during the entire race. It was nice to have some competition to help me push.

Still need to learn when it is smart to down shift into a different chainring and when I should just stay big and downshift on the cassette. Slowly but surely this is coming to me but I still need to focus on this part of my training. I will tackle more hills in the future to help my general fitness overall.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

It was nice to have my race belt already on but I am not sure it is saving me time in T2 because normally I would run with it out of T2. I can't do that in T1 and move the bike at the same time. Again took Heed in T2 but think I could avoid this by carrying it on the bike

Carry Heed on the bike. Need to simplify transition somehow but I am not sure where I will start.
Run
  • 33m 44s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I finally ran an entire run portion of a triathlon. Knowing that I can keep under 34 minutes for a 3 mile course after swimming and biking is giving me huge confidence in my overall running game.

I ended up meeting a fellow Macon area triathlete out on the bike course who found me later on the run. We ran together for a bit and he was great motivation during the last mile which kept my pace up. I called him my Rabbit!

I finally learned how to run with a cup of water. Success! I could have pushed a bit harder pace wise but am not beating myself up over that.

Keep up the consistent run training. It is helping!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and found my friends to help cheer on the remaining members of our group. We had 22 total athletes out on the course and every single one of them finished. I was happy to help cheer in those that I could.

Overall I am very pleased with my after race food consumption. Typically I eat just a tad bit too much at the athlete area post race but I think staying away from that area and cheering on others helped me in the decision making area. Had a cookie bar and half a banana with 2 bottles of water.

Cleaned out transition and stayed for awards since many people in our group placed. After awards we cheered on the last finisher and then went out for lunch. Nutrition post race was perfect.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing! I can not complain at all about my performance at this race. I have a better focus on my training needs for the next race and I am excited to have shared this race with so my of my first time friends. No limits at all, just a happy day.

Event comments:

I would definitely do this race again next year. My husband and I are considering making it a yearly tradition if it works in the schedule.

The signage on race day was awesome which is a big thing for DH and I after being to a few tris who had no race day road signage. The volunteers were plentiful and super helpful. There was burger and hot dogs after the tri with some kids activities but we did not stay for that portion. Looked like a lot of fun for a whole family to be involved.

The only downfalls were the fact that the run was mentally taxing because of how many times you covered the same roads (4 times) and the 180 degree turns on the bike were tough. I would like to see finishers medals for all finishers since so many people registered as Novice. Small minor detail that would make the race perfect in my eyes.

Last updated: 2009-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:48 | 451 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 115/241
Performance: Average
Suit: 2 Piece Tri Suit
Course: 4 buoy course in a quasi rectangle/triangle shape. Counter clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:29 | 12 miles | 17.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 117/241
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: T shaped course with two 180 degree turnarounds on a narrow two lane road. Several small hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:44 | 03 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 202/241
Performance: Good
Course: A funky double out and back course. 3 turnarounds with 3 water stations. Large hill to start the run (and end) with decent hills for the remainder of the run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes