Vilas Zoo
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 14s
Overall Rank = 210/415
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/13
Pre-race routine:

Got the family out of the house in decent time. Arrived in Madison at 9:00 for a 10:00 race. Perfect. Ate a bagel and a banana while drinking some orange G2 on the way over.
Event warmup:

About a 1/3 mile jog with long sleeves to get a sweat going. Just about right. Stretching after the jog. Got the hip loose.
Run
  • 56m 14s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, another race - another PR. I've only run one other 10K and that was a year ago on a VERY hilly course (1:05:20) so I assumed I would PR today. Started well, hit the first two hills in good shape. A slight slowdown at 2.7 miles (not sure what was going on there) but got it together quickly. A big hill at 3 miles and two or three more decent hills between 3.5 and 5 miles. Some of this course was part of the Madison Marathon I ran in May. Absolutely beautiful day for a race and this course is very scenic. I had a decent kick to the finish line, blowing by three people to (hopefully) get a good finisher picture. Fifth in my AG is the highest I've ever placed in ANY race.
What would you do differently?:

I had a bad (stressful and busy) week at work so training was not what it should have been. I was hoping to finish between 55:00 and 58:00 so I accomplished that goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, mixed some in to my shaker bottle of Recoverite. Walked to the start line of the kid's race to watch Joe run. Proceeded to spend the next three hours walking around the zoo. Actually helped keep my legs loose.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad 10 days of training. I really need to get back to a consistent speed/interval workout mixed in to my run schedule.

Event comments:

Great race benefiting the Vilas Zoo. It turned into a wonderful family outing!!!

Last updated: 2009-09-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:56:14 | 06.2 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 210/415
Performance: Average
Don't wear a HRM.
Course: Hilly for the most part. Beautiful layout around Lake Wingra and the UW Madison Arboretum.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-20 10:01 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: Madison Zoo Run Run

2009-09-24 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2416827

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Subject: RE: Madison Zoo Run Run
congrats Pete...  awesome race you had...  nice work on the PR...!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Madison Zoo Run Run Rss Feed