United States
Oklahoma Redman Triathlon
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 06m 50s
Overall Rank = 409/573
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 70/85
Pre-race routine:

Broke my previous routines and tried a few new ones that worked out fairly well. The night before, we ate Hobo meals packed with meat, onions, potatoes, carrots, corn, and mushrooms.

Woke up at 4:20 that morning and ate GV Bran Flakes and a couple of Natures Valley Granola bars. We then packed up the campsite and left for the race.

Once we got there, we couldn't find a parking space and had to park about a mile or so away. We missed the Iron Prayer at the FCA Endurace tent which bummed me out.

I finally made it to the transition area at 6:25ish and quickly got everything ready. Then came the downpour. After some delays, they announced the possibility of a swim, run, swim. There was some groaning, but I had mixed emotions. I wanted the full experience of a half-iron, but my bike is my weak link. After an eternity of waiting, they finally announced the Redman will begin at 8:00 but would include a mandatory bike dismount at mile 6. There was 3-4 inches of water covering the road for approx. 100 feet.

While waiting, I talked with my wife and drank 20 ounces of Iced Tea.
Event warmup:

It was more of a cool down. In the rain, I was shivering bad and my feet were numb. Before entering the water, I did do some light stretches.
Swim
  • 40m 28s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

Should've started in the back of the heat instead of the front. I was being passed by a lot of fast swimmers while taking my time.

During the first straight, a lot of people were walking the swim course. My thought process is: why would you compromise your training and show a lack of respect for others by doing this action? It's OK to stop and rest, but do not have forward momentum. OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

Anyway, I did more breast stroke than free. I need to overcome this, because I'm a lot better swimmer than I've been displaying with past races this year.

As reflected in my time, the course seemed a little shorter than 1.2 miles. I did not push hardly at all and had a decent time.
What would you do differently?:

FREE, FREE, FREE.

This year I've focused more on the bike and just 'maintaining' my swim. This off season, I will focus on technique and speed.
Transition 1
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

Took my time in transition. Everything was soaked, next time I'll bring a plastic sack. Couldn't see out of my sunglasses, I tried looking for something dry in my bag (no luck). Wiped them off with a wet pair of shorts, put them on and took off.

Bring a plastic sack to keep everything dry (at least glasses).
Bike
  • 3h 16m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike began smooth (around the dam). Once on the road, I was nervous. Because of the standing water and some of the road conditions, I didn't spend much time in Aero. I did not want to crash during my first HIM. A lot of people passed me, but I reminded myself to race my own race.

At mile 6, we had a mandatory dismount because of the water in the roadway. It was a nice breather for me.

During BAS #3, a volunteer told me to watch for the mud a mile down the road. Once there, another volunteer told me to ride down the middle. So I did.

Around mile 48ish, I noticed my speed kept dropping. It continued to drop the rest of the course. Up until that point, I was avering 17.7 mph. From that point to the end, my average speed dived to 17.1 mph. AVERAGE FOR THE WHOLE COURSE! When I retrieved my bike after the race, I noticed my front tire was flat. Hmmmmmmm, a slow leak? I thought I was running out of gas.

Saw my wife while dismounting. I yelled that I didn't wreck my bike. She and the guy next to her laughed.

Overall, I'm happy with the bike. Even though it rained most of the time and I was quite nervous, I was happy. I maintained a 17 mph average (a goal) and my nutrition was dead on. Gels every 45 minutes, plenty of fluid, and Granola bars at miles 15 and 40.

First of all, pay closer attention to my tires.

Secondly, continue working on the bike. Even though I've shown improvements from last year, we have a long way to go.
Transition 2
  • 05m 21s
Comments:

I took a nice, extra long transition. Walked the bike in, put on some Body Glide (chaffing in front of the arm pits), changed into my wet shoes, walked to the outhouse to pee, walked to the run start, and then began running.

Absolutely nothing, except maybe have a plastic sack (see T1). I purposely took my time.
Run
  • 2h 00m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

As a whole, the run felt good. The first couple of miles felt awesome. The rest was good, but I had to keep reminding myself to run. My goal was to run the entire course, not walk any of it.

The puddles and standing water made it interesting. The volunteers were very encouraging. Seeing my wife a few times was inspiring.

I passed a lot of people on the run. This felt good, because a lot of people passed me on the bike. I drank at every aid station (alternating with Gatorade and water), took 3 gels, and ran the whole course.

Cruising through the Finisher's Chute and seeing my wife, I began to cry. But that was short lived because I kicked it in gear to pass a guy right before the finish line.

I just about broke 2 hours for my Half-Mary. This would've been nice. Looking through my times, my fastest mile (by almost 30 seconds) was mile 13. I wanted to get home.

Work on intervals and tempo runs more. Earlier this year, I did awesome getting ready for the Half-Marathons. Once they were done, I did long runs and that was it.

Along with swimming, this will be an area of focus.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried eating a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. Threw away because it was to dry for me. Sucked down a Gatorade and ate some Banana's. Gave my wife a big sweaty hug. We then went to Transition and watched some of the Full Distance Athletes come in from the bike. Got my bike, noticed my flat, got my soaked gear, and headed home. Stopped at Applebees on the way. Yummmmmm!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim-freestyle and technique. Bike-well my biking capabilities and confidence. Run-more intervals and tempo work. Overall-lose a little more weight, better strength training, stronger core, and cleanup my diet a little more.

Event comments:

1) The race was delayed because of the rain. This had nothing to do with the organization. Once they announced a new time, they began promptly on that time.

2) The volunteers were awesome. There were a ton of them and most of them were shouting words of encouragement. I saw one shoveling mud off the bike course. A few others were sweeping water into the draining systems. The volunteers is what makes this race.

This was a great race to experience my first half-iron distance. I would definately like doing this again. Maybe the full next........

Last updated: 2009-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:28 | 1931 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/85
Overall: 0/573
Performance: Below average
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Rectangular loop.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:16:43 | 56 miles | 17.08 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: One loop. Around the dam, north on Mac Arthur, west on Waterloo, and back. Most of the road seemed to be chip and seal. A lot of potholes (that were marked), a lot of puddles, and some mud. More hills than I expected, but nothing in comparison to IMKS.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:00:51 | 13.1 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops, extremely flat, and extremely wet.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 12:09 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Redman Triathlon - Half Redman

2009-09-21 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2416920

Veteran
Beatrice, Nebraska
Subject: RE: Redman Triathlon - Half Redman
Awesome race. Can't wait until next year to really get it on.
2009-09-21 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2416920

User image

Champion
Chicago
Hey great race!!! Was your wife wearing a Nebraska shirt, by chance? I saw a woman wearing a red `Nebraska' shirt at the dismount line going into T2 then again on the run by that diner on the waterfront. Anyway it was good to see a fellow Husker fan from back home out there! Great job and definitely do the full next year!
2009-09-21 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2417667

User image

Regular
Yep.  Against my better wishes she was wearing a Husker shirt (I'm a K-State fan).     It was easy for me to scope her out.  Thanks man.
2009-09-21 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2417630

User image

Regular
Jeff, next year will be fun.  I'll see nothing but a vapor because you'll be smokin fast.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Redman Triathlon - Half Redman Rss Feed