General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Columbian Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Columbian Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Coulee, Washington
United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 19m 33s
Overall Rank = 149/175
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Got into town Fri. evening. Drove the bike course hill to see how bad it was. Yikes! Went down to packet pickup and dropped off bike. Got up at 7ish Sat. am and had shredded wheat, a banana and coffee. Hung around the room until about 8:50 then headed to the venue.
Event warmup:

No warm up unless you count walking from the car
Swim
  • 48m 46s
  • 2000 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a faet swimmer so wasn't suprised when everyone swam off and left me. Thought about picking up the pace a little, but didn't want to fry myself on the swim when the bike course loomed ahead so just took it easy. Liked the fact that all the buoys were tied onto a line under the water that you could site on all the way around the course. Kind of like following the lap line in the pool. No buoy sighting necessary.
What would you do differently?:

One of these days I am going to learn to kick so I can go faster.
Transition 1
  • 06m 16s
Comments:

This 1/2 offers changing tents which is really nice but also makes the transition a little more laid back. I only had to get my wetsuit off and put my socks, shoes and bike shirt on in the tent then the helmet and sunglasses on at the bike. Not really sure what took so long. My wetsuit was a tad difficult to get off and had a hard time organizing the rebagging of my swim stuff.

Speed up a bit.
Bike
  • 3h 44m
  • 56 miles
  • 15.00 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike course is pretty tough. Lots of hills. The first hill is one mile into the course and goes up for 4 miles. Some pretty nasty switch backs and such. Then there are several miles of rollers and then a little out and back. Passed a couple people on the first big climb and then saw the tail end of the mid pack on the out and back. Had to stop at the porta potti at the end of the out and back but thought for sure I would catch up to the back of the pack when I started out again. Rounded the corner and started a nice descent into Almira and did not see anyone. Thought I made a wrong turn or something. Got to Almira and started out the other side of town. Another nice climb. 8 miles at 3%ish. Finally started passing people on this hill. Got to the top and more rollers, yipee (not). Was very relieved when I got to hwy. 174 because I knew it was time to go down. Unfortunalely the gusty winds showed up and made the descent a little tricky. Had to hang onto the bike to keep from being blown all over the road. Got to the bottom and had to ride up one last hill and the last 2 miles into a nasty headwind. Pretty much cooked by now.

I feel like I handled the hills pretty well. Definately need to work on speeding up.
Transition 2
  • 05m 11s
Comments:

Had trouble racking the bike because there was now room in my designated spot. One of the volunteers finally shoved some of the other bikes out of the way so I could rack mine, Nice of her. We had to take our running gear into the changing tent to put it on too.
Run
  • 2h 34m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Did not feel like doing this run. The last couple miles on the bike pretty much did me in. Anyway started out and thought I will do one loop and if I feel like being done, I'm done. Decided early on to walk all the hills. Felt better about it after I got going. Ended up pretty much run/walking the whole thing. A few times I would pass people who were running up the hills while I was walking. Weird. I moved quickly through the first couple of aid stations but after that I started stopping and visiting with the volunteers while I got my water and gels and endurolytes. Spent a little too much time socializing on the second loop. Pretty happy that I finished. Really had to do the mind game to hang in there.

Keep moving forward!
Post race
Warm down:

Got done and met up with hubby who had done the oly. Did a little stretching and had some pasta and a mountain dew, picked up my gear and headed back to the room. Went for a little stroll around town in the evening and had dinner in the room.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really didn't know how this race would go. I was 5 months practically to the day from a major 13 hour surgery so I've had to cram a lot of training into 3 months. Pretty happy to just be able to be out there competing.

Event comments:

Nice race. Very well run. Am looking forward to improving my time next year. Definately a challenging course but worth another try.

Last updated: 2009-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:46 | 2000 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 170/175
Performance: Average
Suit: Ironman wetsuit
Course: counter clockwise around a triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:16
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:44:00 | 56 miles | 15.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 150/175
HR hit 170 at some points and averaged in the 140's.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Hilly. 2400' elevation gain overall.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:34:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 150/175
HR into the 170 area again and averaged in the 150's
Course: Paved and gravel. Small rolling hills. It was advertised as flat and mabey it was compared to the bike but not pancake flat by any means.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 12:45 AM

User image

Veteran
WA
Subject: Grand Columbian Triathlon - Half Iron Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Columbian Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed