United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 27s
Overall Rank = 189/388
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a Motel in area the night before race. Got up about 6am. Had a bagel and hard-boiled egg for breakfast. Dressed for race, and drove to start area (YMCA) with Linda and Matthew (Kerrin did not come up for the weekend with us.)
Event warmup:

Drank some G2 (Gatorade). Walked around, and then stretched out leg and arm muscles.
Run
  • 2h 03m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

While in the spring I thought I could break the 2 hour mark for the race, ran the race with a realistic goal of 10 minute miles meaning a 2:11 finish. Pushed hard at mile 8 bringing my accumulated time to 1:14:42, meaning I could possibly still break my stretch goal of 2 hours. Finished the 10-mile mark at 1:33:15 - meaning if I could do final 5k (3.1 miles) in less than 26:45, I would break the 2-hour barrier.

Race pictures are 2 approaching Finish Line, one just after crossing. The 4th is getting my medal from Matthew (he was one of course volunteers, handing out meadals). Last picture is Linda and I under the bridge (taken later that afternoon) at the start of the Carriage Roads section of race.
Long hill coming out of Carriage Roads completely drained me - barely jogging for a couple of miles. My stretch goal of 2-hours lost, but knowing I would easily eclipse the 2:11 mark that I more realistically set for myself.
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps push a little harder in the first 5 miles. However, my plan for those first 5 miles was simply to move through them without expending too much energy. Finished those first 5 miles in 47:19 - about a 9:28 pace. Coincidentally, pretty close to my final overall pace. But, at that 5-mile mark, I felt fine. Yes my legs were a bit tired, but I did not feel any effects of having already run five miles.
This all pointed to my current conditioning allowing for about a 9:30 min/mile pace as a "cruising" pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, then sat down and stretched out leg and other muscles. Took a long hot shower at the YMCA (site of the event).
Felt good enough later in day to walk around town with Linda and Matthew - albeit I walked rather slowly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Because of leg injuried, I did not get into any distance running until right before event. Wish I had a couple more weeks of training to work on mechanics and physiology of running a 2-hour race.

Event comments:

The course is a GREAT course - very scenic and a comfortable run. Would've expected more food and healthier fare at the conclusion of a race of this length. Half Marathon takes a big toll on the body - mine at least - and by the time I got to finish area I could get a banana, dry bagel and warm sports drink. I have been to 5-k's where there are hot eggs and pancakes and juices - things to replenish the body.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-20 12:00 AM
Running
02:03:27 | 13.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 189/388
Performance: Good
Interval splits as follows: 9:10 9:53 uphill on roads 9:12 enter Carriage (gravel) Roads 9:28 9:34 8:56 downhill; wnated to make up some time 10:06 uphill; ran up passing many 8:20 downhill; really kicked it in 9:33 8:59 kicked again to complete 10 miles 9:52 back to roads and big uphill (this and previous mile) 9:58 completely exhausted 9:20 trying to keep jogging to finish 1:00 (last .1 mile)
Course: 2 miles roads in Bar Harbor. Main St. to West St. 9 miles of Carriage Roads. Very pleasant running; sand/gravel created a softer surface to land on. Once away from winds at ocean, very cool to run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: MDI Half Marathon

2009-09-22 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2417070

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Subject: RE: MDI Half Marathon
Congratulations on your race!  You were only 3 1/2 minutes short of your goal ... great job!

--Charlie1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MDI Half Marathon Rss Feed