General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Columbian Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Columbian Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Coulee, Washington
United States
Total Health Events, LLC
Total Time = 6h 10m 7s
Overall Rank = 80/179
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/17
Pre-race routine:

Nothing noteworthy here. Packed up the car and checked out of lodging.
Event warmup:

Swam for a few minutes to test the goggles for leaks that I had the day before.
Swim
  • 41m 24s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall a decent swim. Underestimated the value of the underwater sight lines and did not use them from the beginning. Did not get hung up in the large crowd of people and my "interaction" with others was limited. I felt I had a good swim with plenty of energy left.
What would you do differently?:

Used the sight lines from the beginning. I went off course several times from the beginning and it was not until 3/4 of the way through the first lap that I found the sight lines and stuck with them as best I could the rest of the way. As soon as they disappeared I found myself off course again.
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

I did not hurry to the transition area. The transition bag thing was a little different and no one seemed to be in a big rush so I did not rush either. Of course, most of the competitors were already out of the water by then.

Hurried
Bike
  • 3h 23m 30s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Could not get my chain in the small chain ring on the crank so I hammered more than I would have liked. The course was very hilly and I tried not to over exert myself. I lost the info on my bike computer about 5 miles in so I went primarily off of heart rate. Had the Garmin set to show me the heart rate zone and used that to gauge my effort. Overall dissapointed with performance coming in second last in my age group. It was a tough bike course and my goal was to save some for the run, but to finish second last was discouraging. I did not feel I did so poorly until I reviewed the results. I have to wonder if I saved too much for the run and lost valuable time on the bike. However, I knew my bike fitness was not where I would have liked it to be for this race. In conclusion, my pacing was great but my performance at that pace sucked. Bike fitness and efficiency needs to be a major focus during the off season. Nutrition went well. Consumed a cliff shot every twenty minutes, a gel every half hour and gatorade throughout. Mixed in a little water near the end as I was feeling a little high on sugar. Skipped the last couple of gels for that reason as well.

Looking back, my pace (heart rate) was where it should have been to have some left for the run. It was probably even a little too high. Bike fitness needs to improve.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Most of the bikes were back at this point and it was difficult to squeeze my bike into the rack. Should have kept my shoes on as it was rough walking on the gravel to the change tent.

Kept bike shoes on.
Run
  • 1h 58m 44s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I never considered myself a runner, but I certainly do OK at it. Correct pacing on the bike allowed me to run the entire 13.1 miles. I walked through the aid stations and a total of about 30 seconds up a hill on two separate occasions. Started out a bit faster than I was planning on but needed those faster paced miles at the beginning to break 2hrs. I may have had a little extra at the end had I gone out slower, but who knows for sure. Overall pacing was pretty good. Did not have a lot left after crossing the finish line. Passed a lot of people during the run and maintained good pacing through the final mile. Things heated up in the run and I spent a fair amount of time at the last aid station trying to cool down and prepare myself for the last half mile or so to the finish. Nutrition went well, did not consume any gels and survived on Gatorade and water.

Not spend so much time at the last aid station. Start out slower.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike fitness was the biggest limiting factor. I have come a long ways on the swim and was pleased overall, but I need to obtain a higher level of fitness on the bike in order to log a decent time on the bike at an effort that will allow me to run well.

Event comments:

A challenging course. Needed greater bike fitness to finish where I wanted to finish.

Last updated: 2009-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:24 | 2078 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/17
Overall: 154/179
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction
Course: Triangular course in Banks Lake with sighting line most of the way.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:23:30 | 56 miles | 16.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/17
Overall: 115/179
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Hilly with anything but gentle rollers. First 2 miles or so were straight up. The last 54 miles were mostly up just not straight up.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:58:44 | 13.11 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 44/179
Performance: Good
Course: A lot more hills than I wanted to see. The course was split between paved roads and gravel/dirt roads.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 12:30 PM

Subject: Grand Columbian Triathlon - Half Iron Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Columbian Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed