General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramps in Triceps while swimming freestyle - Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-21 12:54 PM

New user

Subject: Cramps in Triceps while swimming freestyle -

Hello,

Can someone please suggest some good stretches to loosen up my tricepts?  When I swim, after about the 4th lap (25 meters) my tri's really start to crap and I have to stop swimming for about 30-45 seconds, but it comes back after another 50 meters or so.  Currently before swimming I am bringing my arm back over the top of my shoulder like I am trying to scratch my upper middle back and that produces a good stretch, but its not working.  Any other advice?

Thanks,

2009-09-21 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2417923

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cramps in Triceps while swimming freestyle -
I do that plus the circle arm swings and pull-arm-across the chest thing.  I would also suggest a nice easy warmup for you.  Also, maybe just slow down as you build yardage.  How long have you been swimming?  BTW - I have never gotten tricep cramps....Good luck.  I am sure the swim pros on here will give some good advice!
2009-09-21 1:21 PM

New user

Thanks.  I forgot to mention that I do perform arm circles and pull my arm across my chest to stretch.  I have been swimming on and off for 15 years. 

Thanks
2009-09-21 4:19 PM

User image

Veteran
, Washington
Some possibilities:

Pushing faster/harder than your body is ready for
Fluids (or specifically, lack of...)
Hard workouts in previous days
Something with your technique

I find (especially if I've had a tough swimming week) that sometimes to keep the cramps away I will swim 50, stop, stretch offending muscle, swim 50, stop stretch...etc...until things loosen up.

I've been trying to picture if there could be something major with your technique...is the cramping equal on both sides?  One thing that comes to mind is if you are making a really hard arm snap motion to end your pull, that could put a bunch of strain on the triceps. (if that makes sense...)

Do you work with a swim coach?  It doesn't sound like you're an inexperience swimmer, but maybe it's time for a tuneup?

The last thing might just be that your triceps are just weak and you need to do some dryland exercises for them.

Sorry for the novel...

Jim
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramps in Triceps while swimming freestyle - Rss Feed