Tri-to-Win Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 04m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Female Relay
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

This was a relay with my Team Z teammate Gretchen. I've been nursing some sort of shin thing since July, so haven't been running much. About a week ago, I considered emailing Coach Ed and asking him to find another runner, but then got busy and forgot to do so.
Event warmup:

No real event warm up, since the Half started at 8:30, the Oly at 9:30 and my wave wasn't until 9:44. It was cool out so I didn't want to get wet and then stand around freezing for an hour.
Swim
  • 27m 6s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did pretty well on this swim, I felt. Got a bit smacked around at first, since the relays were in with all guys. Played Mommy-whale, baby-whale with a few guys to keep navigation on course. On the way out, we were heading right into the sun and you couldn't see much. Minimal chop except for the part where the police boat zoomed by, and towards the end, it was pretty shallow, so more waves there.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Good swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Luckily, it made no difference that I couldn't get my damn wetsuit off as all I had to do was get to Gretchen and slap the chip around her ankle. A bit of a run up to transition though, all uphill, up some stairs and across a bunch of mulch - ow!

Thankfully, nothing. 1st out of 6 female relay teams in T1 - go me!
Bike
  • 1h 26m 59s
  • 24.23 miles
  • 16.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I guess Gretchen had a good bike :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Just met Gretchen in T2, took the chip off of her and attached it to me.
Run
  • 1h 07m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Awful. Partly because I haven't run much since July. I managed to fake my way through a good 10K at Luray, beating my previous 10K PR on a hillier course, but this was much harder. I was not strong enough for all of the long climbs, so I walked A LOT. Much more than I ever would. I just saw my pace falling further and further off :( But I wanted to make sure I still had something left for the end. I walked up the entire fire road. Tried to take all downhills as quickly (but easily) as possible, to try to regain time. I seriously have never disliked running more than I did then.

Um, not be injured? Remembered to get Ed to find someone else to do it. Ironically, my run was still 3rd out of the 6 female relay teams.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finisher's shirt and water, got BBQ from the free food tent (the Z tent hadn't gotten the grill up and running at that point), collapsed into a chair and kind of zoned out. Unfortunately, I had to leave at 2 pm b/c one of the girls I drove up wanted to get back by 5 (which we didn't end up making), which was right after I found out that Gretchen and I had taken 2nd in the all-female-relay division. Probably my only chance at accepting a podium award, even if it was an "easy" one, and I missed it :( I was pretty pissed at the girl in my car...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being able to train as much as I should have. I feel fine today, thankfully, it didn't make anything worse. My ankle held up well and the shin bump is fine. But not something I would ever do again.

Event comments:

This is actually a pretty good race - I would have had more fun on the insanely hard run course, had I been in good shape. Everyone I talked to had a ton of fun, even though it was brutal. The area and the course are absolutely GORGEOUS, which helps when you're in pain. The run course is nearly all shaded, which was awesome. Plenty of water stops and volunteers cheering. Deep Creek Lake is very pretty and clean. I actually would love to go back next year and do another swim/run relay. Tons of rental houses that are SWEET - great place to do a long weekend.

Last updated: 2009-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:06 | 1640 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 6/
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU C:1
Course: Out and back, around a floating turtle!!!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:59 | 24.23 miles | 16.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Unsure - heard it was hilly but not as insane as the Half course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:07:18 | 06.21 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 6/
Performance: Bad
Course: Awful. Just awful - climbs that never ended, plus a fire road that felt practically straight up. Hardest run course I've ever experienced so far, and I've done a couple of hillier races (Bath County and Luray had NOTHING on this one).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 2:04 PM

Subject: SavageMan Triathlon Festival

2009-09-21 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2418146

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: SavageMan Triathlon Festival
Congratulations on your finish!  That is an excellent result - especially with your injury!  Great job on the swim, and great work managing the run with the low training.

I had no chance up that trail - made it halfway.... NEXT TIME! Laughing 
2009-09-22 11:20 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Congratulations on your finish!  I know it's been really tough with your injury.
2009-09-23 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I saw the police boat come speeding by -what was up with that?!  Sorry to hear about your injury - that makes that course extra tough.  And bumber about missing the award - but you still earned the podium spot - that's what counts.  Good job!
2009-09-23 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2421686

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Hey it's great that you got out there despite fighting an injury and not training like you were hoping for.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SavageMan Triathlon Festival Rss Feed