Fort Collins Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 26s
Overall Rank = 80/234
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/18
Pre-race routine:

Two eggs scrambled, toast with jelly, toast with PB&J in the car on the drive up. Lots of water.
Event warmup:

Simple joint warm-up.
Swim
  • 09m 54s
  • 450 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

In May I did the Longmont Triathlon with a 525 yard swim in 14:11. I saved 3:00 minutes here and I attribute it all to the Master's Swim class that I've been taking over the summer. I was relaxed, felt good about breathing, and was surprised it was over as soon as it was. At this point I have done no speed work for my swim, so I'll be interested to see how things go next year after 6+ months of continued lessons and some speed work.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get a better sense for my swim time for seeding. I passed about 6 people and had to pass in the lane a few times as people wouldn't pause at the wall.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Faster than previously, but I would like to save some time here.

If I can eliminate a few steps, that will help. A compression shirt in the pool will eliminate the need to put on a shirt. HRM under the compression shirt and worn in the pool. Not sure if I'm up to pre-clipping the shoes yet.
Bike
  • 39m 5s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 19.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt very good and I felt I did a good job of controlling my exertion. Not too fast to wear myself out for the run, but not slow. I was very happy with this result.

I need to be faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I had problems tying my shoes. It was as if my fingers were cold and difficult to control, but I was perfectly warm. I may have to invest in no-tie laces. I also paused a little bit to get my GPS working. I need to learn to adjust this while in motion.
Run
  • 24m 54s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Transition to run was not a problem - the legs knew what to do. I consistently thought about adjusting my body position - head up, elbows back. I think accentuating the elbow kick helped (force an upper body pendulum to influence the lower body pendulum). Very little scuffing was heard. I felt very slow and didn't think i was doing well at all. I thought I would end up with a 10 min/mile pace. The water station half way was VERY welcome.
Post race
Warm down:

General walking around with a little stretching. Pancake breakfast!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall I was VERY pleased with my results. I went in with the goal to be under 80 minutes (hoping for 75). I wanted 11 minutes in the pool (got 9:54), wanted 20.0 MPH on the bike (got 19.9), and wanted 8:30 min/miles (got 8:00). I cannot complain about the results for my second ever triathlon and my second race of any kind in my life. Having only learned to swim in the past year, and never having done biking or running significantly, I am very, very pleased.

Now I need to temper my expectations for next year, but push hard over the off season.

Event comments:

I would definitely do this one again. The course markings were top notch and the people were great. Organization was excellent. And who can be upset with a pancake breakfast??

Last updated: 2009-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:54 | 450 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/18
Overall: 130/234
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:05 | 12.6 miles | 19.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 54/234
Performance: Good
Heart rate was well controlled the whole time.
Wind: Little
Course: 4 loops on city streets. Very ugly railroad track at one point in the loop caused lots of slow downs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:54 | 03 miles | 08m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 95/234
Performance:
Course: Flat and through neighborhoods. Mostly dirt and asphalt with a little (20%) concrete sidewalk.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes