Midwest Sports Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 7s
Overall Rank = 310/683
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 5/27
Pre-race routine:

FIRST EVER DUATHLON...Put my roadie and helmet in the car the night before so nothing to do on race morning. Dressed in my gear along with race belt and off I went Weird not lugging along a big old tri bag. Poptarts in the car whilst driving to venue.
Event warmup:

Went to pick up my bib only to find out there wasn't one waiting for me. Instructed to go see Jaimie. She was nice and found me in the computer. Guess a bunch of folks that dropped their registration fee at Fleet Feet had the same problem. No biggie, race director decided to put me in the first wave....with the elite's. Ha. You know I am going to try to hang on there:) Looked around for some donks, got body marked, racked my roadie...complete with kickstand and reflectors.... in the first rack next to run in/run out. Heard the announcer say that we should make sure we have our chip.....oops, forgot to pick that up so away I went. Chatted with Schwimmycoach, Peggy, Stacey, Jim, DJ and Pam just a wee bit before I headed to the start line.
Run
  • 13m 57s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

It's a little intimidating standing up at the start line with all those racing elites. Heard one very foul mouthed girl talking about getting smacked around at the start of some other race and how brutal it was. Wonder if that was for my benefit. No worries, I am here to have fun. Surveyed the competition, they all look just like me...two arms, legs, one head, two eyes...etc. The were doing all sorts of "stretches" so I played along while waiting for the gun to go off. Off it went and so did the pack. About 50 yards out down goes the foul mouth girl and the guy next to her. Up she gets along with lots of choice words to say such as "I'm fr*cking bleeding". No cause for worry, she took off like a bat outa hell. I told myself I was going to run as fast as I could for the entire 2 miles cuz hey, it's only two miles. That's not gonna kill me, right? Was passed by only 3 people...that I can remember, way cool and passed one, even cooler. Peggy was out on the course shouting inspriration and waving the DTFU sign. Very fun. Saw Jim on the way in to run in...cuz he wasn't going to be starting for another 20 minutes or so.
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing. This is by far my best two mile time since high school.

Maybe I would've started in Jim's wave so I could keep an eye on him, but more on that later...

Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Yeah, only 46 seconds cuz I actually had to take a drink of water before I put my helmet on..oh and catch my breath...and bike out was at the opposite end. I almost went up the middle of the aisle instead of near the fence to the actual exit, so that cost me a few seconds as well. I planned to use my roadie so I wouldn't have to change my shoes. Guess it worked.

Nothing.
Rank 1
Bike
  • 1h 12m 10s
  • 20 miles
  • 16.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Once again we see that this is NOT my strong suit. I guess it doesn't help that I haven't been on my bike since Camp Whitcomb Mason. Made a mistake at one of the first hills and didn't drop to the SCR. Had to stand to climb it and I still felt like I was going to fall over. Had to do the weave to get up the last few yards. Thank goodness no one was around to tick off. I didn't have my Cateye on this bike so I had no idea how fast I was going or the actual distance of the race for that matter. Apparently it doesn't matter cuz I biked at the same pace I always do, whether it's hilly or not. Not sure what's that's all about. Some would say I need to do more hills...yeah well. My main goal for this portion of the race was to NOT let DJ catch me. I knew his speediness was starting in I think the last wave, but he was soooo capable of it.....

Take my tri bike maybe. Although time doesn't show it would've made a difference, but my back wouldn't be sore today and that nagging pull/knot feeling on my inner right leg wouldn't be there.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Run out was right next to my bike but had to run to opposite side from bike in to get there.

Nothing
Rank 1
Run
  • 14m 44s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, so I lost my legs somewhere on the bike and my feet felt like I had rocks under the balls of them...hmmm, that sounded funny. Could hear Clint in the back of my head to just lift the knees to get the legs going, so that's what I did. About half a mile heard a "come on donkey". Aw crap speedy DJ caughty me. Thought it would be cool if I could hang with him for 10 seconds, but that wasn't going to happen. Didn't care how I was breathing, tried to keep some form and pushed the red line to the finish. Saw Peggy again on the way to the finish, thanks to her for cheering me on. Tried to give a smile and victory arms to one of the photogs. Ran to the finish Cross Country style. Was hoping the uneven terrain would help my feet push off to a quicker finish, alas that was a no go. Still extremely happy with sub 8's for those last two jello miles.

Run faster:)
Turns out Jim kicked my arse on this one. Wonder if I could've hung with him on the bike had I known where he was.....hmmmmmmmmmm
Post race
Warm down:

Gatorade and water. Walked around to chat with peeps from my subdivision and DJ with crew. Grabbed some grub and headed out to meet up with Peggy to cheer the others on. Great to see Pam, Stacey, Nic and her friend finish strong. Waited around for results, found out they didn't have me racing Athena...which didn't matter in the end cuz I didn't place top three. Waited some more for awards. Waited some more to see if they'd call out names for door prizes. Ha, someone told me earlier that I could just take something from that goody table cuz they were just getting rid of it. My guilty conscious was releaved when the R/D said if I didn't call your name, come on up and grab some stuff. The loot I took home covered my already discounted race price. Got 120 enduralyte pack, bottle of Hammer Gel, a new '08 Oshkosh tshirt for Clint since his was trashed from yardwork, and some utter cream....no comments please.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inability to push bike pedals.

Event comments:

Had a blast with the donk's. I thought I should get home so Clint could get his twelve miler in. Peer pressure won out. Was gonna stop at a local haunt, but DJ was leading and that was not a wise choice. He ended up taking us all out to 94 and then to Delafield. Had I known that, I would've taken control. Pulled into Perkins...well, if I am going to stop for a bloody mary it's not going to be from Perkins. So, I said the Delafield Brewhaus....or what I thought it was. So, I led the pack across the road to the wrong parking lot. I knew you could see it from the highway, so where the hell was it. Pam says "you mean waterstreet brewery right there" and points across the parking lot. So, we ended up there, had an awesome bloody served by ken, I mean tom, or is it Tim. Gave him a hard time and it would've been soooo easy to sit there all day and laugh my ass off with the donks. Pulled the plug at one and left with a fake trip to make everyone laugh. Yah, I'm a comedian.

Last updated: 2009-09-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:57 | 02 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/27
Overall: 208/683
Performance: Good
Course: Lil ole lollypop around a subdivision in beautiful Dousman. Few steps of cross country to add some flavor.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:12:10 | 20 miles | 16.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/27
Overall: 403/683
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: Out of Dousman on some pretty and sometimes smelly country roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:14:44 | 02 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/27
Overall: 180/683
Performance: Good
Course: Same as above
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: Dousman Duathlon

2009-09-21 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2418575

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Dousman Duathlon
Great race report..after reading all of the reports from Douseman I am thinking I might have to join in the donkey fun next year.
2009-09-21 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Holy frick! Those were some wicked fast run paces there, sista, runnin' with the 'elites'. Pretty soon you won't talk with us donkeys anymore after you get sponsored and famous and whatnot (kinda like Davey does now)....

So who was this 'foul-mouthed' woman? Was that someone else or your literary trick to refer to yourself in the third person?

And BTW, rumor has it that your "trip" out the door was not an accident...and I heard ALL ABOUT some of the 'foul-mouthed' commentary that came from you female donkeys at the bar. Yup, ahum, you betcha....tsk tsk....

Nice race.
2009-09-21 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sounds like big fun Penny!  Great job on the first Du!!!
2009-09-21 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice race!! Awesome runs lady.

You should of stuck arrrooouunndd.... as hilarious as it was when you were THERE, it managed to disintegrate further and become even more hilarious after you left.   Awesome trip by the way - "fake" my booty! 

Thank you for finally leading us to a place with good bloody mary's.  Ya know, before DJ pulled into Perkins, I swear to god, I thought he was trying to take us to Hardee's.... !!!!!  They don't serve bloody marys in the drive through last I checked. Unacceptable! 

Also - you're a thief and you STOLE those endurolytes.
2009-09-21 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukesha, WI
Those were some FAST-AZZ run times!!! Who cares about the bike ride when you're smokin' on your feet like that. Congrats.

2009-09-21 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
You completely kicked my azz on those transitions! I like your strategy. If those elites are so cool how come none of them had a kickstand on their bike?  Thanks for hanging after the race. Great time as always.
2009-09-22 7:28 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

AWESOME job out there judes!!!!  oh, and thanks for yelling you suck at me when i passed you!!!!   oh, and nashers says that the trip was real............so did tim..........just sayin..............hope your hangover wasnt too bad tho!!

EEEEEEEEEE to the f'n AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

2009-09-22 2:41 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Wowy!! Nice race sista!! You totally rocked your first DU!! Very impressive girl! Now I want a bloody mary!

2009-09-22 3:25 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
NOICE NOICE!!! Wow you're a fast runner. Good job!
2009-09-23 9:02 AM

User image

Teach me to run fast!!! OMG i'm picturing drunk-debauchary at water st. brewery! ha ha! too fun!

2009-09-24 9:16 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Great speedy runs! We should work on the bike together! Nice race...I may have to add this! Sounds like the "after party" was a blast!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dousman Duathlon Rss Feed