Tri-Maine
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 39m 31s
Overall Rank = 572/610
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/30
Pre-race routine:

Got lucky enough to be able to share a room with a Trifury team mate, making the ride up in the morning a non issue. Got up at 5 AM anyways to hit dunkies and do the packet pick up thing. This race was very unusual for me. I actualy considered not doing it with the extream lack of training for the last two months. My biggest training weeks came from the races durring those weeks. Otherwise, I was lucky to get in 3 30 minute workouts on a good week.

I had a game plan, first, not get hurt from pushing too hard, second finish for the USAT points I need to be ranked again this year.
Event warmup:

I got the packet pickup at about 6:30, set up the bike in tranistion with numbers etc by about 7:15. Then waited for the 9:30 start. The location was stunning, no wonder this race was voted last year as most scenic by triathlete mag. Only thing I regret was the photo opp missed. The tide was out when I got there, and the bouys were resting on the mud. Should have suited up in the wetsuit, gone out to a bouy for a picture :)
Swim
  • 30m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Boy, what a weird swim for me. The cold water was ok at first, then I went out a little fsst and up front, and could not breath well. There was a little wind driven chop, did not look like much, but I had to breath right side only on the first leg. Could not find any rythem in my stroke to the first bouy.

Found my stroke by the first turn and got in a grove. I was quickly interupted by bunching up around a few colegic swimmers from the wave before mine. After that, I kept driving my hands into the ribs of this guy who was faster than me, but could only zig zag directly in front of me. Wow, this is not a decent swim for me. Add to that the second leg was directly into the sun. I could not have seen a bouy if my life depended on it. Thank goodness for the kayakers doing a great job!!

Last leg, get passed by fast swimmers from the next two waves. I am so used to swimming in the last wave, that this rarely happens after the first 200 yds. I was getting discouraged and a little panic set in. This only got worse as my mind started to wander and remembered the shark sightings in MA a few weeks back. Kept seeing a "Jaws" comming up from below in my mind eye. This was reinforced when I heard a kayaker blowing relentlessly on a whistle for a reason I do not know. After a few minutes of this, I just started to relax and enjoy. What the heck, if it happend, it would make a great race report :)
What would you do differently?:

Not sure I would chage a thing, other than the pink cap I was stuck wearing ;) I have not OWS in salt water for a long time. I have worked very hard at getting my stoke cleaned up to a certain point. Having a little swell and other distractions got me all out of sorts. My time was still very respctable overall, so I am not too bothered by this swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Not too bad a tranition overall, but not a peak performance one either. Exited the water, and started a little cramping in my thighs and hamms. Not normal for me....ever. Walked to the bike...ooops off by one row, oh well. Stuggled a tad with my shoes, no big deal, this was a fun race. Had to go out of transition on a hard packed dirt road, not something I normaly do. This was the beginning of a long day of watching the world go by. I felt like I was driving a backhoe at the Indy 500.

Was not planning on pushing, so it is all good.
Bike
  • 1h 41m 27s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.70 mile/hr
Comments:

First, let me start by saying, I will never think of ME as flat again!! I knew going in that this was a race to finish, and more importantly, enjoy the view. The landscape was awsome, truly Gods country. I had the chance to dice it up with a few people, mostly women as the men had already dropped me like yesterdays newspaper. The only guy to pass and get repassed by was dropping his chain and having to stop for repairs.

The down side of this course was the roads. Large sections were broken up. On the good side, it looked like repairs might be made before next years race.

I did stop for a rider who for what ever reason had a Chrissy Wellington moment.She was out of CO2. Turned around, dropped it off and headed back out. Only lost about two minutes. Never saw her again, so I am not sure if I just missed her when she passed, stayed behind me or DNFed. Oh well, tried to find her in tranision, but no luck.

On thing I did find out was that starting early and going slow give out lots of pace bootie ;) There were some very fit athletes on this course, both male and female. Must say I am still a triathlete first. I got passed by a very fast female and noticed her ride before her. :)

This course did take it's toll on me. Had to use the granny gear a number of times. Honestly, I almost feel like the relentless hills made this a tougher course than Mooseman. At least that race seemed to have some flat sections where as this race seemed to always be climbing or decending.

Ok, the obious, train. More important, not discount the hills of this course.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Just could have cared less to have a good transtion. Managed to have a respetfull one anyways.

NADA
Run
  • 1h 22m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Huge game plan working here. No real attept to run up any hills. I just wanted to not get hurt here. I think I ran more at Cranberry a month ago than the entire month in between races. Just had fun cheering on other racers an joking it up with the voulenteers. I think most of them were scratching there heads at me as I went by, and that is cool with me.

train, most importantly for hills.
Post race
Warm down:

I actualy came accross the line in one piece and running this time!! Had a huge smile on my face. Performance wise, this was a very poor time. Factoring in the lack of training and the tough terrain, I am very happy with my reslults. I tacticly planned on this race just like it was. I left my bike computer at home and my watch in tranisiton before the race started. I only wanted to go on percived effort so I could not have issues with pushing for a good time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No Comment.

Event comments:

Beer tents make everything better!! Hung out for one beer, and hit the road to get to a wedding in the evening. Left enough in the tank for a few dances with my girl :) I think she was expecting me to be trashed, and that was what I wanted to prevent. I hope to do this race again, as I have unfinished buisness on this course. It kicked my asrse harder than I had expected, and I want to see what I can realy do on a tough course.

Last updated: 2009-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:30 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 357/610
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto Black Pearl
Course: counter clockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:41:27 | 24.85 miles | 14.70 mile/hr
Overall: 557/610
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Wow! meandering through the town of Freeport ME. Rolling hills, with some good climbs. Cow and sheep pastures, wooded areas, coastal views, just spectacular.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:22:03 | 06.21 miles | 13m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 585/610
Performance: Bad
Course: Some good climbs on rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 7:14 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: The Lobsterman Triathlon

2009-09-22 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2418778

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: The Lobsterman Triathlon
Hey congrats on ranking nationally again this year
Seems like a nice race, and you did well. 
I need to go there just for the scene. 
2009-09-22 12:36 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
great job Joe!!! 
2009-09-24 5:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
What made you think Maine would be flat?  Compared to Mass? 

But for a Maine triathlon, the lobsterman is considered a flat course, I think.

Sounds like a fun race.  Even though I live in Maine, I have never done the lobsterman. 

You finished and you had fun!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Lobsterman Triathlon Rss Feed