View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Burnet, Texas
United States
Total Time = 1h 20m 22s
Overall Rank = 3/293
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/28
Pre-race routine:

I was hungry when I woke up at 4:30 so I had 4 pieces of toast. Warmed up Starbucks and left for the 1 hour drive to the race. Set up transition.
Event warmup:

Same as always. Short run with some pickups to get the heart rate going and then went to water for swim. Did my usualy 2 warmup swims. I wasn't going to wear my skin suit and warmed up just in my tri suit. Decided to go back to transition and get my skin suit. Glad I got it because the swim definitely felt better with it.
Swim
  • 16m
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good paced swim. I had clean water the whole way and was 3rd out of the water with the other 2 being well ahead. Just took good long strokes and sighting was good.

Swim was long again as all times were slow and I know I didn't swim this slow.
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

No problem getting skin suit off. Had to carry bike over grass to pavement as everyone said to watch out for pot stickers. Fortunately I didn't step on any with my bare feet. Got into shoes on the bike no problem.
Bike
  • 43m 33s
  • 18 miles
  • 24.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was an out and back and was actually hillier than I thought it would be. There were some really good climbs. I knew I was 3rd out of the water and so I just started going as well as I could. My legs didn't feel great so I just stuck with it as best I could. At about mile 6 I was passed by one guy and I just stuck with him the rest of the way. I probably could've overtaken him again but I figured I'd pass him on the run.

Nothing fancy on this bike. Just tried to really push hills as hard as possible even though my legs weren't great. I was surprised with my pace when I saw the splits.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Lost my shoe when I hopped off the bike. There was no dismount line so got off quick. I didn't pick my shoe up and they brought it to my bike later. I know in a race that actually cared about penalties I would've gotten one for leaving my shoe. Oh well, I figured they wouldn't penalize at this race.

Had a problem putting my race belt on and realized the clip was broken. Decided just to carry my number as I ran.
Run
  • 19m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I was 4th coming into transition and had a good T2 and went out in 3rd. I was passed a few 100 meters out of transition because I was still trying to put my race belt on. He was on a good pace for about a mile and then I caught him. Decided not to stay behind him and just ran past him. When he couldn't keep up I knew he wouldn't pass me later.

I knew I wouldn't catch the leader but I knew #2 wasn't as strong a runner as I am so I pushed to catch him. At the last turnaround he new I was catching him and he looked back a couple times. I just ran out of real estate and couldn't catch him. If I had 1 more mile I would've caught him.

Overall, good run and good pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Just hung out with the folks.

Last updated: 2009-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:00 | 875 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/28
Overall: 3/293
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Out and back swim around buoys.