General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M Gooley Hemophilia Center
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 4s
Overall Rank = 2/315
Age Group = f40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/48
Pre-race routine:

rank of 2 above is of females. Was 26/502 total competitors but I don't like to compare myself to those muscly men!

I knew I had to wait hours before my race so I got up later than I normally would have at around 5.15am, had breakfast of oatmeal and drove down to site. It was very cold - in 40s and so after setting up I just bundled up and walked around, watched the intermediate race, eat a few things and just keeping warm.
Event warmup:

No warm up before sprint race (and probably too cold to want to) but we did have a couple of minutes before our wave started so I swam around, including a few seconds of harder effort. People said the water felt cold but after my dip on Friday I was prepared and thought it OK.
I remember standing there trying to do something with the legs of my wetsuit which were filling with water and thinking that my wetsuit was too big. I haven't lost weight so could it have stretched/
Swim
  • 13m 30s
  • 792 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

13 is female, overall total 40

I lined up at front on inside as I knew I'd probably be one of the stronger swimmers. My instructions was to go off hard for 400m or so and then settle in, so I did. I dolphin dived to start. Many were walking. There were 2 girls ahead of me, one too far to catch but the other I kept trying to catch to draft. Unfortunately a few 100m out it became quite wavy which meant navigation hard and I just couldn't get close to her.
On the way back in she still was just too far ahead to draft off so this was a total lone swim for me. I was 3rd out of the water for my wave and passed one on run to timing mat (hence my 2 rank) and the other I think I passed in transition so I was first out on the bike
What would you do differently?:

Given conditions I think this went OK. I worked my arms well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

This was an Ok transition for me. I struggled getting one of my arms out of the wetsuit but that was in swim time as before transition mat.
I had to lift my bike over the kerb as my row was blocked in but that was OK. I am always pretty rubbish at getting on and off bike.

One thing that seemed completely stupid and something that I hadn't come across before was that the bikes seemed to be racked by age group. Being in the first few it didn't matter too much to me but having a whole wave descend on one area seems absurd to me.

Learn to get faster but I'm not really that bothered about it.
Bike
  • 40m 34s
  • 14.06 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr
Comments:

3 is females, overall total 24

I was disappointed with my bike as I was aiming for 38mins.
Getting out of transition was horrendous on the first narrow coned bit and all way up to first junction. I was first out of transition for my wave and had caught up the last of wave before. Naturally they tended to be the less experienced. We had volunteers shouting keep to left (which was left coned lane) but of course they didn't realise they had to keep to right within that lane. Consequently I got stuck numerous time and shouted at a few (not nastily, just to move over). I felt bad about that with these people and kept apologising but it is a race! Don't think it would have got me my target time though.
Having seen results I was only 8 seconds from fastest girl so I guess it couldn't have been that bad

Have a wider area of bike course on first part of route.
Being in one of the last waves (and only older women behind me) I wasn't overtaken the whole time and I found no one to chase. That wasn't much fun.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Under a minute, that's good for me!
Of course swinging my leg over back of bike I hit my bike holders so nearly tripped. Just another one of my not very elegant dismounts to add to my book of many.

All ok for me
Run
  • 24m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

14 is females, overall 79

Yet again my run lets me down. This was the first tri that coach asked me to wear my Garmin. I forgot to switch my garmin on in t1 (couldn't leave it on from start due to long wait and battery life) so remembered to switch it on as soon as I had racked my bike. Unfortunately it hadn't located satellite by time I was ready to go so I decided to leave it as I knew I had seen mile markers on the course and had my watch on.
But, I couldn't find mile 1. By mile 2 I figured I was running average 7:40ish and the 3rd mile about same, maybe a little faster. I felt good, had high cadence and didn't back off at end at all. I thought I saw a girl running strong up to pier when I was running down and there was no way I was going to let her catch me. I didn't know how many faster people had gone overall but I wasn't going to give up the age group place easily. I knew I was below target (7:30or less) but was surprised to see 7:55. It doesn't matter for comparison but does to my training so I mapped route on satellite and I think it was more like 3.19 which is more consistent with what I thought. Of course the mile markers may have been incorrect too if they were just estimates.

Remember to switch garmin on in t1
Run run run run run
Post race
Warm down:

Water and cheering my tri buddies in

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run, as usual

Last updated: 2009-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:30 | 792 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/48
Overall: 13/315
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: anticlockwise around 2 buoys
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:28
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:40:34 | 14.06 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/48
Overall: 3/315
I adjusted mileage to show speed as per results
Wind:
Course: 1 loop. Very narrow out of transition and gradually up hill for first couple miles, then rolling and finishing with big down hill then flat and fast on newly paved road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:33 | 03.1 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/48
Overall: 14/315
Course: one loop of flat course, some trail, some road
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-23 9:40 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2009-09-23 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2423331

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Ok anyone that reads this - I sound really ungrateful about race.  I am of course happy to be second place and I know lots of people would like my speed, it just wasn't a particularly good "overall experience" for me and after all this report is supposed to be for my own reference purposes.

2009-09-24 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Jackie, you had a good race, even though it didnt quite meet your expectations.  I think we both feel pretty similar about Sunday.  We both could have done better. 

But from a big picture standpoint, progress is continuing to be made.  Knowledge is gained.  And next year will be even better. 

2009-09-24 9:13 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Nice job Jackie!! I really missed seeing everyone this year. Thanks for the comments about the race, I hope Linda takes them to heart and makes some changes for next year. I always rave about that race but I have heard a few complaints about this years race.

Congrats on the 2nd place!! That's awesome!
2009-09-29 12:42 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Congrats on 2nd OA Jackie!!!  Awesome job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed