Other Resources My Cup of Joe » So kids don't say the Pledge of Allegiance anymore? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2009-10-03 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2423776

User image

Subject: RE: So kids don't say the Pledge of Allegiance anymore?

Kids stand and recite the pledge daily at the HS I teach at.  Although many do not actually say it, they rise and acknowledge or pause in the halls.

2009-10-11 2:19 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Thought I'd resurrect this thread because I got something interesting in the post yesterday...my University of Glasgow Alumni newsletter. Now, what does this have to do with this thread?

Well, the guy who is responsible for "Under God" in the pledge is a graduate of the University of Glasgow. Yes, a Scot. The Rev George M Docherty (MA Hons) graduated from the uni in 1935, moved to the US in 1950 and became pastor of the New York Ave Presbyterian Church, where Pres Lincoln attended when he was president in the 1860's and where a special service to mark Lincoln's birthday is held each year, traditionally attended by the sitting president.

"On Feb 7, 1954 at one such service, President Dwight D Eisenhower sat in Lincoln's pew and was urged by Rev Docherty to have the pledge to the falg amended, saying "To omit the words under god in the Pledge of Allegiance is to omit the definitive factor in the American way of life." President Eisenhower listened. With the treat of communism in the air, Rev Docherty's message immediately resounded on Capitol Hill; Bills were introduced to Congress that week and Eisenhower signed the "under God" act into low within four months."

Rev. Docherty died at the age of 97 in Nov 2008 at his home in PA.

So yeah, cool little factoid.

And no, I don't say the pledge, and haven't since middle school. This is a more complex issue than just saying the pledge, which are tied to my feelings about nationality/nationalism/residency/citizenship, feelings that I won't get into on this board because frankly, I don't feel like dealing with the sh*tstorm.
2009-10-13 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
The country raio station up here plays it every morning.  They go to the elementary schools and have a child introduce themselves and their class and then the entire class recites it.  They then play a different one every morning.

Thought that was pretty cool.
2009-10-13 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2456646

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
NavyTRIChief - 2009-10-13 9:31 AM The country raio station up here plays it every morning.  They go to the elementary schools and have a child introduce themselves and their class and then the entire class recites it.  They then play a different one every morning.

Thought that was pretty cool.

A country music station in New England? Shouldn't this be in the "Proof there is no hope for humanity" thread?
2009-10-14 4:22 AM
in reply to: #2423841

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
bradword - 2009-09-24 10:07 AM Our son does it ever day here in Idaho. And I'm in the only liberal county in the state. I thought it was still everywhere.

Just wanted to say, you are NOT!! Latah Country is plenty liberal. Well, um, as liberal as North Idaho gets. All them pinko commie liberal professors!

Didn't read all six pages, probably because I didn't say the pledge every day and so I turned out lazy, so I may be way off the current subject, but I want kids to know the pledge - as in memorize it and then actually study it, word for word - but not say it every day. It really is kinda creepy, dontcha think?

Wanted to add, my BFF just freaked out because she found out her kids are saying it in school. They just started going to a public school. I was like, no duh they are saying it. She was all freaky about it. I give the younger one until about third grade before she starts refusing anyway.

Edited by Slugger 2009-10-14 4:24 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » So kids don't say the Pledge of Allegiance anymore? Rss Feed  

of 5