General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hit the training wall? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-24 3:31 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, TX
Subject: Hit the training wall?
So I've been training steadily all spring & summer (though not always good about logging it) for my HIM this October but for some reason I've suddenly hit a mental wall.  Ever since my long run last Saturday I've been underenthused with training, to the point that I've missed several days this week.  Anyone else experienced this?  What did you do to get out of the funk?  I've got 4 weeks & 3 days to race day and I don't feel like I can afford a break right now.

2009-09-24 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2424964

User image

Subject: RE: Hit the training wall?
I have the same experience from time to time.  So I remind myself that on race day, sooner or later, the mind/body will ask, "REALLY!?!?!?"  When it does, I have only two options:  push through, or give up. 

So on days with no motivation, I remind myself that sometimes, simply the process of training is good training.  If I give in today and don't train, where will I find the resolution during the race itself to push through?  That resolve just doesn't "appear" any more than my endurance, speed, power, technique will just "appear" if I don't train for them.  I have to mentally train for pushing through that wall by physically working on those days where I just...don't....want....to.

That said, change the routine. You could just be bored.  Run different routes, different types of roads/trails.  Run hills if you run flats.   Find a new bike route.  Go to a different pool. 
2009-09-24 5:51 PM

Veteran
This is a great time to round up some workout buddies.  I find that surrounding myself with others who are training is great motivation.

If you normally swim alone, drop in on a masters class.  Join a group ride or run a local half marathon and work it into your plan.
2009-09-24 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
i had the same feeling over labor day weekend... race 2 weekends after that... So I didnt work out sunday and went out and camping with my friends drinking fishing etc... JUST RELAX and not think about it for one day....

monday was an off day then back at it on tuesday! felt great and PR'd at my race (HIM)
2009-09-24 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran

When motiviation is flagging, I will go out the door with the promist that if I'm not loving it that I can cut the session short with no guilt.  A couple days of that I'm ready to full tilt again.

2009-09-25 9:13 AM

Veteran
Florida
I take a day off and eat everything i want, drink about 7 beers, and sleep late.

2009-09-25 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2425978

User image

Veteran
MA
Millco - 2009-09-25 10:13 AM I take a day off and eat everything i want, drink about 7 beers, and sleep late.

I think I'll add this to my weekly Saturday plan for the fall. Probably add something in there about college football too.  You have to do it if its on the plan.

ETA: When motivation is lacking I try to mix it up; go mountain biking instead of road, play hoops instead of running, do anything besides swimming...basically just try to do something to keep going. 

Edited by jammers 2009-09-25 10:38 AM
2009-09-25 11:04 AM

Veteran
Vicksburg
Trimike I hit that same funk at the begining of Sept.  I just pushed through it.  I am doing the same race as you for my first half (Longhorn 70.3).  My goal is to break 6 hours and when the alarm clock goes off and I don't feel like getting up I think about that 6 hours or if I would have just hit that one workout I could have passed this many folks.   Sometimes it gets tougher than that and that is when you have to break out the HTFU while your still laying there.Laughing
2009-09-25 12:51 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, TX
Really appreciate all the great imput everyone.  It's been tremendously helpful.
After a 4 day break I got back out on the bike today, and while not my best ride, I made sure it was a productive one.  Surprise surprise, I managed to have fun doing it.  I guess sometimes it's the just the getting out there and starting the workout that's the toughest part.

In thinking more about it, I recognized a couple things that may have played a part in my lack of enthusiasm...
Last Saturday I decided to run 13mi for the first time.  It probably wasn't the smartest thing coming off a 10k on Fri but I said screw it.  By the last 1.5 miles I was limping with pretty bad cramps, and was miserable.
The next day temps dropped considerably here and we started getting steady rain after pretty much no rain for 2 years (those of you here in Austin know what I mean).
I think it was just a combination of feeling a little dejected by my running struggles and the drastic weather change.  As soon as I forced myself back out I immediatly felt better.

That said, I'm gonna start changing up my routes a little as they are getting a little stale.  Also going to try and get my sprint buddy to start doing some longer workouts with me now that I loaned him my spare road bike.  Gonna change up my training tunes too as it's pretty bad when I've memorized the order of 70 songs.

And Peewee, I'll see you in October!
2009-09-25 2:56 PM

User image

I like to watch some of the motiviational Ironman videos on youtube. I also have a few kona dvd's that I watch while I'm on the drainer in the winter. Also another thing I do is go ride/run/swim in a new location.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hit the training wall? Rss Feed